New (corrected) version of tap2cd

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Re: New (corrected) version of tap2cd

Post by peacer »

Thanks for the advices :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Okay, another try.

I got a version of tap2wav from august 2007 (I think with some modifications from Symoon?) and I recompiled it. It seems to work on my 64bit machine, so...
tap2wav2.zip
(15.09 KiB) Downloaded 769 times
Anyway I mentioned the idea about mess, because it seems to produce a good wave from the tap file (so basically using it as a player).

With your comments about noise... well you must get rid of it or else, yes, loading will hardly work. Can't imagine what could cause such electromagnetic interference... You could check the pin soldering in the cable or something like that, but can't imagine the Oric as the source..

May a bad or inexistant connection to ground in the socket where the Oric PSU is connected create trouble? I imagine an unstable ground signal with oscillations of several volts... If you connect the Oric to a PC connected to power, be sure to plug them on the same socket (using an plug socket extension).
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Excellent suggestions !

Thank you for these tips and tap2wav compilation so much. I'll try and tell the result.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

IIRC this version of Tap2wav allows to produce a slience at the end of the WAV file (0.5s, which for me proved being sometimes too short!), and also corrected a bug where the program, on some very specific occasions, (never) ended in infinite loop.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

peacer wrote:I've tried to connect Oric to tv via RGB port.

TV does not have a RGB-in connector. So I use RGB-Svideo-Scart adaptör like this.

The result is crystal clear but unfortunately colors are shades of gray. Maybe its because of pal-secam-ntsc standarts of the TV , I am really ignorant on these subjects.

I've tried to connect oric to other "newer" tv with direct rgb-in port but again, display is gray. Scart connection is alsa in gray.

I am aware, the problem is now different from topic question about tap2cd but is there a suggestion to get colour video from rgb under this circumstance?
Hello Peacer
the connector is not suitable for oric
the red and white Jack is used for stereo sound, not available from Oric
the yellow plug if for the composite video
the s-video plug is used for luminance and chrominance separated video
your TV has a SCART so it works in RGB, you need:
find the Oric cord with its 9v power supply
or connect the rf output of oric (aerial) on the aerial input of the tv
then do a search of PAL channel, you must find the image of Oric
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Hi there..

As I shown previously in this topic, aerial / UHF video output creates very disturbingly bad display on television due to unexplained artifacts.

RGB output through scart connector creates really clear and sharp but gray display.

So I need to obtain coloured RGB display on TV thru scart video data. You've said "find the Oric cord with its 9v power supply" . What do you mean by that? I know there are special "oric-to-scart" cables on the net but they're not sold in Turkey and ordering them via internet is really really expensive. Do you mean those cables?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

As promised before I found my adapter.
It's actually bit different than yours but I think internally they should be the same.
Below are images of disassembling and the wiring diagram (sorry for low quality).
Unfortunately, with this wiring it's impossible to make RGB working using this adapter.
If you are interested I can build working cable test it, and provide you proper schema.
(you will need 5-pin DIN male connector, SCART connector, 5-wire cord and some soldering skills :))
1.jpg
1.jpg (56.91 KiB) Viewed 22626 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (57.95 KiB) Viewed 22626 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (39.97 KiB) Viewed 22626 times
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

You need to build a SCART cable yourself. The info:
http://www.defence-force.org/computing/ ... /index.htm

But alas! I made one myself without the complexity of those resistors and transistors. I just wired the Oric Red/Green/Blue/Sync/Gnd signals to the corresponding pins in the SCART connector. I also had to wire pin 16 (or was it pin 8, can't remember now) to the 9v output of the power source (taken from the cable that goes into the Oric) because my TV did not have a way to select RGB input.

Quite dirty but it works!

I'd say, however, that those cables from retroshack are a nice solution, though they cost 17 euro.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

As I never touch a soldering iron before, it looks like beyond my ability :) But thank you soooo much. The information you supplied is invaluable and I hope my dad can handle and make it real :)

I really appreciate your helps, thanks.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

What happened with tap2wav in the end? Any success?
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Very promising improvements happened :)

Sorry for employing your time for everything. It happened to be a problem with tape cable and socket. After exploring the cable with my dad, he diagnosed the problem : the pins and cable was oxidized in time as I didn't use it for years. He succesfully mend the cable and now I managed to load every file I converted with tap2cd, or downloaded from oric.org including school daze, storm lord, don't press the letter q and many other advanced games.

My cheap and noname mp3 player worked perfectly without any sound level adjustement, even with less than half of the possible highest volume. I got no errors with none of the wavs and they all loaded perfectly :)

This was more than a miracle to me. I could only use my real Oric with only a few type-in programs and games in last 25 years :) . In Turkey, Oric was not as popular as europe, so I never had chance to get any software in 80's except "Welcome to oric" and "Ultima Zone" tape and a few your cmputer magazine listings. . Now I have chance load and play those thousands of games in my real Oric. The experience that I lived is indescribable as my childhood blinks from the past. Only you people here can understand how I feel now :)

Now only thing I need is to get that scart cable. I described the idea to my father and he is trying to produce one now with connecting scart and oric-RGB port.

My CRT has no settings to change to RGB so I think we have to do the pin-16 trick. You said 9V output is used for that but I doubt about that. Are you sure we need to connect 9v to 16th pin or a simple 1.5V battery?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

That is excellent news! So it was just a faulty cable after all. Sometimes I forgot the simple possibilities :)

About the cable... I surely connected one pin to the DC power that feeds the Oric. Can't remember exactly which pin it is, but it sets my tv in RGB. But that might work for my particular tv only...

Cheers
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

RGB-Scart cable is also ready and now I can use my Oric via scart in colour and can load all the games thru my mp3 player :) Awesome !

As scart cable issue is other than tap2cd topic, I will start another topic about my experiences on rgb scart cable.

Again thank you very much for all making my Oric lives in colour again !
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

I wonder, no one ever made an application that take the TAP file, and play it on the sound card? I it can be use to now need the wave convertion then play it, could be used to automaticaly send with the CD protocol, or plain 600 or 1200baud whatever the user select.

tap2wav is usefull, but I will find more usefull such an app
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Fabrice said that he wants to modify his tape emulator ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wGBY8Y7VOk ) to be able to automatically convert .tap files with tap2cd before playing them.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.