Closing the Case With Socketed RAM and VIA

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
jacqu
Officer Cadet

Closing the Case With Socketed RAM and VIA

Post by jacqu »

Hello fellow Oric fans,

Like probably many of you, I came across an issue when socketing ICs on the lower edge of the motherboard (the edge opposite to the connectors). On this side, there is a pretty tight clearance between the top of the ICs and the orange bottom lid. Since socketing ICs usually yields an additional 5mm on the height, this conflicts with the bottom orange lid and prevents closing it without badly bending the keyboard.

To avoid this problem, I designed a set of spacers to be inserted on some screw posts and to fill the gap between the bottom and top case. It can be 3D printed and the final result is quite satisfactory. The modification is almost invisible and yields no issues with the connectors which are quite tolerant with a slight shift (it makes the insertion of the power plug even easier).

This is a picture of the final result:
6B82E7AF-6E8F-4AE5-B719-94992F080BAF.jpeg
You can try this mod by following this link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5787738
I uploaded the Fusion 360 CAD files so you can mod the mod.
Old French Oric Atmos Nerd
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Closing the Case With Socketed RAM and VIA

Post by ibisum »

Ah hah, very nice idea and thanks for sharing the files .. I think I see where this could go .. Oric Exos mod, anyone? :)