Cumana Reborn wanted

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
stainlessstephen
Officer Cadet

Re: Cumana Reborn wanted

Post by stainlessstephen »

Guys, thanks for the heads up.

There will be another addition to the family tomorrow - a Tatung Einstein. I understand there are similarities with both Amstrad and Oric (the same disks as the Microdisc).

I must stop this madness. Otherwise I'll wind up in either the divorce or bankruptcy court (or both) very soon...
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I live within spitting distance of Hunary and have a good Hungarian friend who set me up with an Enterprise 128 that he found someone in his village, selling for a pittance. So I'm also quite interested in the Enterprise machine, and its software archive and so on - but a lot of the 'good stuff' for Enterprise is in Hungarian - there is still a very active community over Hungarian users.

I got a brand new video cable for mine, these are being made - and I've heard rumors that there is something like an "M4 Card" (CPC-compatible expansion card) that can be used to load images remotely. Still on the hunt for one, so if you find anything in the meantime stainlessstephen, let me know too! I definitely want to have the Enterprise and Amstrad and Atmos machines all set up next to each other ..
stainlessstephen
Officer Cadet

Folks

Once the Reborn arrives from Zaxon, can someone help me with a question?

I've very little experience with Oric disks and disk images.

What is the best tool or method to convert the DSK images to HFE?

Or, does the device offer native DSK support?

If there is a well trodden forum elsewhere,please point me in that direction.

Thanks
Steve
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

stainlessstephen wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:38 pm Folks

Once the Reborn arrives from Zaxon, can someone help me with a question?

I've very little experience with Oric disks and disk images.

What is the best tool or method to convert the DSK images to HFE?

Or, does the device offer native DSK support?

If there is a well trodden forum elsewhere,please point me in that direction.

Thanks
Steve
I don't have one, but I think it supports Oric DSK format natively. In case it does not, you can use HxC software to convert, but, again, I think it is not necessary.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

No, the Cumana Reborn does not use DSK natively alas.
You have to convert DSK to HFE using this software: https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... r_soft.zip
(https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/)

As far as I know that is not only the best way to do it, but also the only way :D
(Myself I use the Linux version (compiled from source) as part of my Makefile to create HFEs directly on compiling my Oric projects as well, https://forum.defence-force.org/viewtop ... 412#p25412)

Pity that is needed, but it is a rather easy step and there is really no alternative to the Cumana Reborn available, so it’s the only option basically next to the original drives from back then.
Only other problem is that once changed on the Cumana Reborn, the HFE can not be converted back to a DSK that is still readable on the PC.
Last edited by xahmol on Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

On that converting back to DSK issues, see this thread: https://forum.defence-force.org/viewtop ... 325#p25325
And just remembered again the issue is only in Oricutron reading the HFE back, not Eupohoric. Actually did not check if this has been solved meanwhile in Oricutron, will try soon.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

And I do agree that someone should write that missing manual of the Cumana Reborn, just not sure if I have the energy to do so myself.
The device is great, but support from it’s manufactor is rather sparse, also because of language issues.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

xahmol wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:07 am No, the Cumana Reborn does not use DSK natively alas.
Ah, sorry then. I am not sure why I thought that it was included at some point. Maybe it was in the original HxC firmware.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Chema wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:23 am
Ah, sorry then. I am not sure why I thought that it was included at some point. Maybe it was in the original HxC firmware.
Now you make me doubt as I actually did non Oric projects last months so actually didn’t try for a year. Did I miss a firmware? Will check.
stainlessstephen
Officer Cadet

Folks - thanks for the guidance and feedback.

Out of interest, does it work on any other computers. As well as the Orics, I have an Enterprise and a Tatung Einstein requiring some love.

Cheers
Steve
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

stainlessstephen wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:39 pm Folks - thanks for the guidance and feedback.

Out of interest, does it work on any other computers. As well as the Orics, I have an Enterprise and a Tatung Einstein requiring some love.

Cheers
Steve
Well, the disk controller in the Cumana Reborn has the Oric Atmos ROM, so it would not work on other machines without removing that. The rest of it is basically a Gotek with FlashFloppy firmware.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

The Cumana Reborn has the disk controller integrated, which is Oric-only (and plugs on its expansion board). Maybe you can get the Gotek-like part out of it, but not sure if that is easy or even possible.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

xahmol wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:02 am Well, the disk controller in the Cumana Reborn has the Oric Atmos ROM, so it would not work on other machines without removing that. The rest of it is basically a Gotek with FlashFloppy firmware.
I don't think so. It's the Erebus that has the Atmos ROM. Cumana has a Microdisc ROM. A real Cumana works with either Oric-1 or Atmos - I assume the Reborn version will do the same?
( Cumana is an Oric disk interface. For other machines you'd need a disk interface with the appropriate connectors and software and a Gotek or whatever floppy substitue you wanted. )
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Steve M wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:44 pm I don't think so. It's the Erebus that has the Atmos ROM. Cumana has a Microdisc ROM.
You are right of course, my bad….
Does not change the answer to Stephen though…. No you can not connect it to other computers without removing that disk controller and replacing it by whatever that other machines need.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Checked by the way: the Flash Floppy firmware that is delivered on the Cumana Reborn does still not list native Oric Atmos .DSK support.
It supports other .DSK formats but not the Oric one.
https://github.com/keirf/flashfloppy/wiki/Image-Formats