Cumana Reborn wanted

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
stainlessstephen
Officer Cadet

Cumana Reborn wanted

Post by stainlessstephen »

Would like one of these items if it is any better than the Cumulus.

I've seen some for sale on Sell My Retro from Poland but cannot order as I'm based in the UK.

Can anybody help?

Thanks
Steve
stainlessstephen
Officer Cadet

Re: Cumana Reborn wanted

Hello all

I was wondering if any Oric friends could do me a favour.

As I live in the UK I cannot order one of these from Sell My Retro. I would like to ask if I ordered one and obviously paid for it, would someone not resident in the UK be happy to take delivery of it, and then send it on to me if I pay the shipping of course.

Thanks
Steve
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I would have to be from a country that can receive a package from there without having to pay some import tax, else you'll end up having a substantial bump-up in price.

Like typically that excludes me, everything sent to Norway tend to have a expensive shipping, plus we have a 25% VAT to pay on the total of the product price plus shipping... and since SMR is not declared to the Norwegian tax office, it means it goes through the import tax processing which adds a mandatory 150 nok (15 euros) on top.
stainlessstephen
Officer Cadet

Dbug - thanks.

Sell My Retro quote £121 including shipping against the original sale price of £81 if I recall correctly. That includes import duty and VAT, but then they say they cannot fulfil the sale as the minimum order value is £135.

Odd, and I've met the SMR guy in person (Rich) as he lives only 11 miles from me, when he sold me a ZXpand for a ZX81 over 10 years ago and I still haven't looked at it.

As for the Cumana Reborn, I'm happy to pay a bit more for a few minutes of someone's time and shoe leather. Can I assure everyone I'm looking for a favour from the Oric community; something I've had an interest in since 1983. I'm certainly not after something for nothing.

Thanks
Steve
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I'm in Vienna, Austria and I'm happy to receive a package and forward it on to you as long as you don't mind me opening it and checking contents to be sure I'm not involved in anything shady. ;). I've bought stuff from Piotr (Zaxon) in the past and my Oric wouldn't be complete without a Cumana Reborn, so anything I can do to help let me know ..
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I guess an alternative could also be to see if multiple people from UK are interested in a Cumana Reborn, and then check with the guy making them if a batch order could be done, all sent to a single address in UK, and then the person receiving them sent them back using the local postal system (or other can come to their place to pick their unit).

That would reduce the overall postage cost.
stainlessstephen
Officer Cadet

Ibisum - thanks for offering to help. I'll have a think about what will work best. Rest assured I don't do dodgy things :D

Dbug - I could always see if I can order 2. Before doing that, are there any other UK Oric people interested in one?

Thanks
Steve
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

There was one on ebay but it seems to have vanished
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Update from Piotr on Facebook:
4 x Cumana reborn listed. And, good news, finally i have UK VAT. So the people of England can finally buy too 😉
https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/40497
stainlessstephen
Officer Cadet

As I've not been on for a while, the available ones have been sold. So I'll have to wait until the next lot are ready then I can get one.

Does anybody here know anything about the Pravetz 8D thinking of getting one. Is it 100% Oric compatible?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

stainlessstephen wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:53 pm Does anybody here know anything about the Pravetz 8D thinking of getting one. Is it 100% Oric compatible?
Yes, there are some who know everything about the Pravetz 8D :D .
It's 100% compatible with Oric Atmos, but of course (because it's different made) there are differences.
The most important to remember is that the PCB is up-side-down compared to Oric and the expansion connector (34 pins) has no key,
so when connecting any periphery be very careful and always double (triple) check where is pin #1!
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I have a Pravetz but have never been able to load anything from tape with it. Quite simply no reaction.
I think this was discussed long ago, I can't recall if there was something specific to fix on it or another input device to try. So anyway, you guessed: it's sleeping in its box!
stainlessstephen
Officer Cadet

Folks

Very pleased to say Zaxon can now send these to the UK, and I was able to order one the other day. I am very much looking forward to receiving it.

Slightly off topic, I happen to have an Elan Enterprise in my collection. I've not even had it out of the box. It's a 128k version.

I believe there are similarities to the Amstrad, so not too far away from the Oric according to posts on here elsewhere. I think there is a SD card reader somewhere available too.

Does anybody know anything about the Enterprise and where can I get some software images to try out?

Cheers
Steve
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

The Enterprise is probably the most powerful 8-bit computer ever done. It can run almost out of the box games from CPC and Spectrum and has video modes compatible with the C64 modes and a sound chip able to do almost what the SID does.

Pity there is not much specific software for it, but there are some hard devices. The most active user is someone called Geco.

I don't know the reference site or forum for the Enterprise, but there is a good community in the Spanish forum Retrowiki. You can check http://retrowiki.es/viewforum.php?f=20

I've seen one running and it is amazing. What I really hate is the keyboard and the integrated joystick. But nobody's perfect :)
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

The Enterprise looks like a really cool machine indeed, almost bought one from eBay once (just missed it in the end on a few euros).
But decided not to proceed getting one and concentrate on the machines I used to have in the past only. Enough money that I can spend on only those machines 😉

Did some quick browsing on Enterprise resources back then, as far as I understood especially the Hungarian community for the machine is big. Which might be a challenge language wise….. (can cope with the Oric French community, but Hungarian?)