Tap WAV files

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
stainlessstephen
Officer Cadet

Re: Tap WAV files

Post by stainlessstephen »

League Champions

This one failed on Oric 1 just got a blank blue screen and it didn't load.
stainlessstephen
Officer Cadet

Onto some of the games from the "missing" section.

Tried on Oric 1 in tap mode in Tap Oric with Samsung J5.

I haven't turned any of these into Wav files yet or tried them via Erebus.

Blowtorch Blaster - failed, got title screen with syntax error.
Compter - failed, syntax error.
Cupid - title screen comes up but it goes mad, a sound that gets louder and an Explode, rinse and repeat.
Frog Hop - fails straight away. Syntax error in 30.
Gnasher - failed. Syntax error in 1.
Mad Jump - failed. Syntax error in 5
Orical Invaders- failed to start got "Ready" and flashing cursor.
Playground 21 - failed. Black screen with white band at the bottom.
Retailer - failed. Same outcome as Orical Invaders.
Sheriff - failed. Syntax error in 1.

So, with a success rate of zero I've found wavs to be much more reliable than tap images on TapOric.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

There are (at least) 2 important things when trying to load tapes (TAP and/or WAV):
1. Check if the file works in emulator in both Oric-1 and Atmos mode. If one fails - it will fail in real hardware too. Many of the programs are written for only one Oric type (i.e. special for Oric-1 or for Atmos).
2. Always you have to play with volume to find best loading settings.

PS. As summary so far I can say you have normally working Oric-1 and Atmos :). Not bad!
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I do confirm: volume is very important. And there is no general setting: it depends on machines!
I have a couple of Atmos that require a very low volume, while others need a very high volume.

On your Atmos, I suggest trying Load Vader (providing you can load it!), since it displays tape loading errors in real time. As long as the screen is not filled, you can try and adjust the volume to see if errors rate si going higher or lower. This may help in finding the best audio settings.
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

Can I ask which Arduino device you bought off Etsy and is not very good? I bought both of mine from Duncan Edwards and they have worked fine since I bought them.
I’ve just had to replace the MicroSD card reader inside one but that was me being clumsy and it wasn’t a big job. The Oric support in the latest firmware seems pretty good, so I guess a lot of it’s dependent on how good the source tape was recorded.

+1 for Symoon’s comment on volume. My Oric-1 likes a louder volume setting compared to my Atmos.
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
stainlessstephen
Officer Cadet

I too bought my Arduino off Duncan Edwards (who, incidentally I used to go to school with in Staffordshire) and he lives quite near to me so I collected it from him in person.

I have had a very poor success rate getting Oric games to load on it. It could well be down to the SD card. What make and memory size do you use , and how far to the right do you move the slider?

Cheers
Steve