Atmos cassette output

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Atmos cassette output

Post by Vyper68 »

Hi,
Does anyone have any idea of how to make the cassette output from an Atmos louder? When I save a tape it is barely audible. I can save onto my laptop using Audacity but it is very quiet compared to my other 8-Bits.
Looking at the schematic there only seem to be a couple of resistors in between the 6522 and the cassette output so is there any way to boost the output?
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Atmos cassette output

Post by Dbug »

Don't quote me on that, probably check the service manual instead - but I believe I've read somewhere that some machines have the wrong value for one of the resistor, and that ends up weakening the signal way too much.
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

Thanks DBug, will have a look inside my Atmos this afternoon...
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

According to the schematics the expected max. voltage should be around: 5V*(1/23) = 217mV (peak-to-peak) which is really low for standard "Line level". You can do some experiments - replacing R13 (1k) with bigger value (i.e. 4k7, 10k, etc.) and see the effect. At-least there is no risk to try. :)
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

Fitting a 4.7K resistor has made the output louder but not a massive amount. Tape is still not very loud but the signal recorded in Audacity on my laptop is visibly stronger. Maybe I need to swap out this Rockwell 6522A with a Synertek model down the line, I might stick a 10K in and try again :D
The other resistor was 22K so it was the correct value.
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free