Maxduino now plays Oric native tap files

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
rcmolina
1st Star Corporal

Maxduino now plays Oric native tap files

Post by rcmolina »

Hi all,

Find attached a youtube video and github link for downloading and installing v1.59 if you consider it.
Maxduino firmware can be flashed on your tzxduino, its compatable. Not only anduino nano or mini are supported, but also arduino mega and nano every.

https://github.com/rcmolina/MaxDuino

Thanks in advance,

Rafa

More videos of maxduino here:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC0L03I8mb4CMytW7MuhF--g
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Maxduino now plays Oric native tap files

Post by Dbug »

Cool :)

Could you maybe give a bit more information for people who don't know the project, like a quick summary on how you get a game on the system and load it, apparently there was some buttons, and some sub-folders ("Oric"?), is it converting TAP files to audio on the fly? Would that support things like Symoon fast loader system?
Lardo Boffin
1st Star Corporal

Post by Lardo Boffin »

I have this up and running thanks to some slightly off topic discussions on the SinclairZXWorld forum! Not managed to download and convert any games yet (not had spare time) but the samples I was sent by Rafa work really well.
rcmolina
1st Star Corporal

Post by rcmolina »

@Dbug, of course I can...

The project, an opensource digital tape player replacement:
using an arduino, selecting and playing a tap file from sd with buttons sending audio signal to a jack output at a reasonable cheap cost. Buttons are play/stop, up/down, and menu. Look for tapuino (c64) and tzxduino (zx) for additional hw information you are right, it plays file on the fly, you need 5v from microusb power supply. I'm testing speed up limits so tap2f16 will be focused to nax speed limit for the libraries used by this device , I need a little break now. Direct recording (tzx id15) conversion was made before getting good speed improvement before native tap loading. Due to limitations mentioned, I will focus on max speed improvement in next release.

This project combines and enhance the msx cas/tsx, zx81, zx spectrum, Amstrad, acorn bbc/electron with oric. Until now, Oric audio was posible converting it first to another format. Limitations of the project, not reaching 22 Khz for audio. For zx, 6000 bauds working.

Maxduino is full compatible with TZXduino and CASduino, it combines both of them in the same limited space. You can flash back and forward your firmware with Arduino IDE (version 1.8.4 recommended) without harming your device. Remember to configure your screen options and features in userconfig.h. Forgot some parameters? Reflash it again.. Userconfig.h allows to tune your supported capacity, activate/deactivate features until you fill confortable in your limited arduino space.

Nowdays inspiration goes beyond, retrofitting arduino nano chip with new arduino nano every (chip ATMega4809 instead of ATMega328) is posible to add more capacity and bring new features (see youtube videos). Also new board arduino mega with extra capacity will be supported hopefully in next version thanks to maxduino team member merlinkv. New supporting platforms on the way.

The key point is you must select your platform+port in your arduino ide, your sketch will compile according to this configuration.

How do I then update a TZXDuino with this update?
Back to basics ... Download your arduino ide and libraries, check this blog: https://tzxduino.wordpress.com/tzxduino/

Hope this put you on the road..

Rafa
Last edited by rcmolina on Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rcmolina
1st Star Corporal

Post by rcmolina »

@Lardo, glad to have you here. You can also support other people with your experience :D

Rafa
Lardo Boffin wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:50 pm I have this up and running thanks to some slightly off topic discussions on the SinclairZXWorld forum! Not managed to download and convert any games yet (not had spare time) but the samples I was sent by Rafa work really well.
rcmolina
1st Star Corporal

Post by rcmolina »

@Dbug, @Lardo, new beta version 1.60 to get some speedup (configuring speed >2400)

https://github.com/rcmolina/MaxDuino_BETA

Enjoy

Rafa M
Last edited by rcmolina on Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

I've one, i'll look to try it this we
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
rcmolina
1st Star Corporal

Post by rcmolina »

@coco oric, thanks for your testing, remember to download from beta zone:

coco.oric wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:00 pm I've one, i'll look to try it this we
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Nice development!

Maybe a n00b question: if you want to use the Maxduino for both the ZX Spectrum ánd the Oric, will the same firmware support both with the ability to switch between the two? Or do you have to flash the firmware to use only one of the two and flash again if you want to use it with the other?
Of course understand that you at least have to switch the cassette lead cables to the different machines as they differ from machine to machine.

(I own a Commodore 128D, an Oric Atmos, a ZX Spectrum 128 and a Texas Intruments TI-99/4a). Have already SD card solutions for all of them, so no pressing need so far for the Maxduino solution, but am interested for the nice retro feeling of cassette loading only then convenient style and also for the few images that really still need a real tape simulation and do not work on solutions like the Erebus for Oric and DivMMC for the Spectrum.
Obviously one device to use with all or at least more than one would be a big bonus that might persuade me to buy one altough I do now not feel a pressing need for it).
rcmolina
1st Star Corporal

Post by rcmolina »

@xahmol,

The answer is YES, Maxduino v1.59 support zx spectrum tap/tzx and oric tap at the same time. The main drawback of the development is the available space.

Classical arduino nano has not much, so a userconfig h is provided to tune what you want to get in this limited space. For nano, I had to comment (disable) bbc micro development, but its your option to bring it back.. removing other machines. By the default msx (casduino) is in also. You can free this space if you do not have one.
You can also move to a bigger platfom as arduino mega to fit them all :), when you select your platform in the Arduino IDE, this is considered to send the Arduino code properly to your device.

C64: Also I made a little patch to tapuino code, I call it ToT, tapuino On Tzxduino. As you know the tapuino and tzxduino hw are very similar, so motorsense is patched so you can use use your tzxduino with a fpga/c64 core.

Summing up, the project now has focused on bigger platforns to get more space for coding.

Rafael
Lardo Boffin
1st Star Corporal

Post by Lardo Boffin »

rcmolina wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:56 pm @Dbug, @Lardo, new beta version 1.60 to get some speedup (configuring speed >2400)

Enjoy

Rafa M
Excellent! Will update mine soon and try this.
Lardo Boffin
1st Star Corporal

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Turns out I have one of these in the nice 3D printed case:

CAA7896D-2553-4581-AD9D-E9B12DB661C5.jpeg

Looks like I will need to get some sort of serial TTL programmer for it.

Anyone have any recommendations (for a UK purchase)? Preferably cheap! It won’t be getting a huge amount of use.
rcmolina
1st Star Corporal

Post by rcmolina »

Hi Lardo,

Use one with DTR for automatic reset after pushing the firnware.

This one is ok:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Geekcreit-FT ... 4275567751

Maybe you need to find one also packed with 5 dupont cables, it fou dont have any: vcc, gnd, tx, rx and dtr.

Rafa
Lardo Boffin
1st Star Corporal

Post by Lardo Boffin »

rcmolina wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:33 am Hi Lardo,

Use one with DTR for automatic reset after pushing the firnware.

This one is ok:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Geekcreit-FT ... 4275567751

Maybe you need to find one also packed with 5 dupont cables, it fou dont have any: vcc, gnd, tx, rx and dtr.

Rafa
Looks good thanks.

Whats the best place to connect the cables to on this board? Will it be easiest to remove the Arduino board from its sockets and connect directly to pins using Female to Female cables or solder some additional pins to the board?

Thanks! (Never programmed one of these before).
rcmolina
1st Star Corporal

Post by rcmolina »

Hi Lardo,

I'm not at home now, but I've marked where to solder so pins show up in front face, so you will put in/out your female dupont cables for your serial converter when needed.

Note you need Vcc from the square block of pins.
Arduino pins connections
Arduino pins connections