Little Oric tool . explore memory screen ...

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

goyo
Officer Cadet

Little Oric tool . explore memory screen ...

Post by goyo »

Hi,
This is a little prototype tool (in c#) can help to understand how the memory screen of the Oric works with the pixels and colors.......
orichir.png
new release :
http://rari.free.fr/orichir.zip
Last edited by goyo on Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 20 times in total.
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Little Oric memory screen tool

Post by jbperin »

I have an error box when I start this compiled C# application on my 64bit Windows 10 version.
ErreurOrchir.JPG
But I joyfully use a slightly modified python version of this marvellous tools and I can witness it is great help.

I use it to have an oric render of my algorithms written in python so that I can tune them before coding in C.

So convenient !!!
CaptureOrixel.JPG
Thank you for this tools
goyo
Officer Cadet

Post by goyo »

jbperin wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:04 pm I have an error box when I start this compiled C# application on my 64bit Windows 10 version.

ErreurOrchir.JPG

But I joyfully use a slightly modified python version of this marvellous tools and I can witness it is great help.

I use it to have an oric render of my algorithms written in python so that I can tune them before coding in C.

So convenient !!!

CaptureOrixel.JPG

Thank you for this tools
Your render looks nice ! in 3D ?
I am sorry it missed a file, the font file. now it's ok.
Last edited by goyo on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Little Oric tool . explore memory screen ...

Post by peacer »

Nice tool to open and edit Oric screens.. Thank you.

I have a similar project which can open pc graphics, convert them to Oric screen and edit with some simple tools.. I hope I could finish it and share sometime :)
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

goyo wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:30 pm Your render looks nice ! in 3D ?
Well, it's not really 3D. It's just stretching image to obtain a perspective effect.
goyo wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:30 pm I am sorry it missed a file, the font file. now it's ok :
orichir.zip
Yes !! Works nice .. I don't understand the bitmap preview tab .. but for the rest it's a very nice tool. Congrats !!!

As for myself, for now, I prefer to use the python version you sent me because I can interface it with python prototypes of my algorithm.

But this tools is definitely a must have .. Thanks a lot
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I created an editor with copy&paste, draw tools, pattern fill, undo/redo, export/import... for Blake's7. It is written in C# and intended for my OASIS engine, and also quick and dirty code for my use only, but I could share if someone is interested.
goyo
Officer Cadet

Post by goyo »

Chema wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:33 pm I created an editor with copy&paste, draw tools, pattern fill, undo/redo, export/import... for Blake's7. It is written in C# and intended for my OASIS engine, and also quick and dirty code for my use only, but I could share if someone is interested.
Great! could you share your tool !! :-o
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Chema wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:33 pm I created an editor with copy&paste, draw tools, pattern fill, undo/redo, export/import... for Blake's7. It is written in C# and intended for my OASIS engine, and also quick and dirty code for my use only, but I could share if someone is interested.
Plase share :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

It's been a long time indeed! I developed it with Visual Studio 2015 and used its integrated Team Foundation Server to keep it in a repository. Team Foundation Server does not exist anymore, now it is Azure DevOps whatever... In any case, I was not able to find a way to share this repository, but as it was based on git I was able to transfer it to github (so I do not lose versions, etc.). I am not used to github, so let's see if everything is correct.

Mental note: install a newer version of Visual Studio with support for github and test

Okay. The repo is here https://github.com/ChemaEnguita/OasisRoomEditor I hope this is enough for you to clone it.

But beware:
  1. I was learning C# as I developed this, so my code is horrible (the older, the worse). Do not complain why I did not use this or that or made things in a different/easier/faster way.
  2. I made it for my own usage, so I am aware the program crashes from time to time, that some actions are not working, that there is no documentation, and that some things work as kludges or by using strange quirks (e.g. copy with attributes keep them in memory, not the clipboard, which stores the bitmap, so don't even dream to paste it in another application or other instance of this application, also pasting a bitmap over the editor canvas converts it into monochrome by simply using a hardcoded threshold value, which I changed if needed).
  3. I added things as I needed for developing the game, so I stopped when I had what I needed and added new functionality when needed.
  4. It was developed for OASIS, so there are some restrictions about the images (mainly size) and some extra features (slicing in tiles, walkbox editor, etc.) which are obviously only needed for it.
Now what I think could be of interest.

The Oric image is drawn in the Picture object which is not a standard PictureBox, but a PixelBox, which behaves much better when zooming, etc. See the PixelBox class. I remember it gave me a bit of a headache to use it instead of PictureBox... maybe when editing the dialog or related to some manual editing of the generated code or something.

There are some classes which pack the functionality to deal with Oric Hires images, OricPicture.cs, which also holds a Bitmap object (theBitmap) where the pic is drawn. This is assigned to the PixelBox in the routine ReloadActions() inside EditorMain.cs (HiresPictureBox is the PixelBox object in the main dialog and theRoom is an object of OASISRoom class which contains an OricPicture object called roomImage):

Code: Select all

// Set the correcth size, interpolation mode and image
            HiresPictureBox.Height = (int)(theRoom.roomImage.nRows * ZoomLevel);
            HiresPictureBox.Width = (int)(theRoom.roomImage.nScans * 6 * ZoomLevel);
            HiresPictureBox.InterpolationMode = InterpolationMode.NearestNeighbor;
            HiresPictureBox.Image = theRoom.roomImage.theBitmap;// bmp; 
In that file is where you can find the implementation of the drawing tools, grids and other info (inverse and other attribute codes) that appear when zooming, for instance.

The OricPicture class can handle arbitrary sizes for HIRES pictures, but when used as part of an OASIS Room, the number of rows is fixed.

You can launch the application and try to import a hires picture (as a bytestream, not with a header) to experiment with all this functionalities.

Dbug, do you think it could be interesting to hold a copy of these sources in the svn as well? As an image of the sources at the time of the development of the game.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Can anybody, please, confirm they were able to clone the repository? Maybe even able to run the editor?
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Chema wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:37 pm Can anybody, please, confirm they were able to clone the repository? Maybe even able to run the editor?
I was able to clone de repository, start the editor, create a room, draw on it, export it as bmp file as well as a resource file.

I don't have C# compiler so I can't compile the project but everything seem to work fine with the compiled version in bin/Debug.

Very nice looking tool !!
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

OricHir allows quick drawing, that's cool!
(I hope some will know what this is ;) )
ofinalcut.png
ofinalcut.png (2.42 KiB) Viewed 6203 times
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

For some reasons, that reminds me of ZooL :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Mmmmh, dn't get expectations too high, no game here, it's just a quick reproduction of an existing thing ;))
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »