Novalight - very fast tape loading

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
Symoon
Archivist

Re: Novalight - very fast tape loading

Post by Symoon »

Ah, this is for the F16 speed bytes, right? (it's used for the loader part, loading with the standard ROM routines). EDIT: ok, you said it in your post, doh! ;)

I'll have to check, but from memory it was giving the best results. Though I'm mixing a bit with Novalight waveform, which I studied (for quite a while) there:
https://forum.defence-force.org/viewtop ... 60&p=14519

IIRC, for Novalight, the best results (on something like 10 machines) for the four base waveforms were like:
_--
_--_
_--__
_--___

So I suspect I kept this "best" wavform for the F16 format.

PS: there's a working Novalight 1.3, which was a bit faster. I never released it, being close to another speed upgrade, but I was chasing a bug I didn't understand, and had to leave it aside in 2020. Hope I can get back to it soon ;)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Symoon wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:46 amHope I can get back to it soon ;)
Any chance for 1.3 in 2023 :)
FYI, aside joking, I'm playing with Novalight 1.2a trying to make it work in real-time....
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

iss wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:54 pm
Symoon wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:46 amHope I can get back to it soon ;)
Any chance for 1.3 in 2023 :)
I'm afraid not :D
There's a 1.3g that goes a bit faster but I seem to recall it wasn't as "robust" as the 1.2a, I mean it was working fine with some machines but it seemed to have loading errors more often.
I also had internal code speed improvements in mind, but put it aside for other projects, especially since, in the end, all those improvements would have made a 12 seconds loading "drop" to something like 11.5 seconds. I mean, the amount of work and testing was only bringing a marginal gain, so I chose to work on other things ;)
iss wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:54 pm FYI, aside joking, I'm playing with Novalight 1.2a trying to make it work in real-time....
:shock:
You must be crazy, but I like that! :lol: