Oric Explorer v2.0 is up for adoption!!!

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Oric Explorer v2.0 is up for adoption!!!

Post by xahmol »

retroric wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:18 pm I'll keep you posted (though it would be preferable to open a new "Cumana Reborn DSK support" topic for this question as it has nothing to do with Oric Explorer :wink:).
Sorry for that, actually started writing a feature request to support HFE in Oric Explorer 😉 but thought that converting HFE to DSK would be a shortcut that would be quicker realisable.....
Will stop hijacking this chain now and copy to a new thread. Feel free to mod if needed.

On topic: great piece of software, thanks!
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

retroric wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:18 pm Hi there,

About this HFE vs DSK pain in the bum: the reason the Cumana Reborn uses the HFE format instead of the DSK format is that it uses the FlashFloppy emulator software internally as mentioned by @Chema above. Sadly, FlashFloppy doesn't currently support the Oric DSK format (though it handles the [quite universal I first tought...] DSK format used with the Amstrad/Spectrum/Sam Coupé micros amongst other formats but I guess the Oric DSK format must be somewhat particular...) so the Oric support has to go through the universal HFE format for now...

However, a request was submitted to ask for the Oric DSK format to be added to FlashFloppy and it is being seriously considered by the FlashFloppy author -- see the discussion in the GitHub issue here: https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/issues/144
(incidentally, @Dbug added a link to this issue pointing to the (now inactive) Defence-Force miniserve SVN server, so I'm going to add a comment to the issue to point to the new repository on OSDN: https://osdn.net/projects/oricsdk/scm/svn)

Therefore, there is hope that FlashFloppy will support the Oric DSK format in the future, and that the Cumana Reborn will be able to benefit from it, supposing there actually is a way to update the FlashFloppy firmware of the Cumana Reborn, which I'm not sure -- I'm sending a message to Piotr Bugaj to enquire about this.

I'll keep you posted (though it would be preferable to open a new "Cumana Reborn DSK support" topic for this question as it has nothing to do with Oric Explorer :wink:).

EDIT: good news about the possibility to update the FlashFloppy driver in the Cumana Reborn device:
Piotr just gave me te procedure which is quite simple:
  • copy update file to pendrive
  • insert pendrive into powered off Cumana Reborn
  • maintain encoder button pushed and power the device on then release the encoder button: Update will start automatically.

flag_fr RetrOric, aka laurentd75 flag_uk
            GitHub - RetrOric
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

retroric wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:43 am EDIT: good news about the possibility to update the FlashFloppy driver in the Cumana Reborn device:
Great! Now I just need to be patient I understand (not my strongest point)
(will also make reference to this form the other topic I just made on your suggestion :) )
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

Thanks xahmol for creating a new separate Cumana Reborn DSK support topic to discuss these issues!
flag_fr RetrOric, aka laurentd75 flag_uk
            GitHub - RetrOric
damien
2nd Star Corporal

Post by damien »

Hi,

For information, a new version of Oric Explorer is available since few minutes. This fixes a bug and brings some new display options (see in the last tab of the settigns form) of the list of disks/tapes/roms/other files:
  • correction of a bug in the tape editing form: application crash during validation after modifying the starting address of a file
  • added ability to represent disks as they are organized on the file system instead of organization by disk format
  • added the ability to represent tapes, roms and other files as they are organized on the file system instead of the flat view
  • add duplicate folder check in folder list (of the settings form)
For those who did not understand: if you have organized thematically (games, games\arcade, games\reflection, games\role, software, education, etc.) your folders containing disks and tapes, these options are made for you ! Because they will allow you to visualize the same organization in OricExplorer, instead of the representation by alphabetical index for tapes or by format (FTDos, OricDos, Sédoric, Stratsed) for disks.

Note that this display option can be activated independently for each category of "media" (disks, tapes, roms and other files).

Besides that, if you have put all your .dsk files in bulk in a folder, the same for your .tap files, it will certainly be better to keep the default display mode...

On the left the default representation, on the right the new one that can be activated by the last tab of the settings form.

The update will appear automatically when you will start your actual version (option available since v2.3.4).

Hope you find these new features useful.

Regards,

damien. flag_fr
Presentation and download of personal software on dipisoft.com