TapOric - android TAP player for Oric

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
RoboFruit
1st Star Corporal

Re: TapOric - android TAP player for Oric

Post by RoboFruit »

So excited, going to play with it this weekend. :D
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Wanted to try it again, but there must be something strange with my phone (no link to the app at all here).
I explain: when I connect a stupid headphone (not designed for the phone, a simple jack-based one you could buy anywhere), the phone detects it and switches the sound output to the headphone.
But when I connect any cable to go to the Oric, would it be a strictly similar jack, nothing happens. The sound is still out from the phone speaker.

Apart from buying another phone, does anyone know what I could do? What's happening here?
Badger
Pilot Officer

Post by Badger »

It sounds like the headphone jack is stereo and the oric jack mono.

If you look at the headphone jack it will have 3 or 4 metallic parts seperated by (usually) insulating material.

The oric jack will probabably on have 2.

It sounds like , that when you plug in the oric jack it is shorting out the cutoff to the phone speaker and hence the sound coming from the speaker.

One solution that may work is to play something (it doesnt matter what) and then slowly insert the oric jack until the sounds from the speaker stops. With the jack in that position try the TapOric app. I would suggest having volume on maximum for the first attempts, even though it may give errors as at least you'll see the Searching change to Loading....

I use one of these https://ebay.us/uhO9Wk from Retro Computer Shack. Even though it has a mono jack it works with my Galaxy S9+.
I also have his RGB to Scart lead too.

Hope this helps.
flag_uk Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Badger wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:08 am It sounds like the headphone jack is stereo and the oric jack mono.
Hehe, sadly not, I tried both a mono jack and a stereo jack. Last one I tried is a "Y" cable (stereo jack to two mono left/right RCA plugs).
That's what puzzles me indeed.

Will try the slow insert, good idea!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

You know that many mobile phones are neither "mono" or "stereo" but have at least 4 connectors, so they can have microphone and remote?

You can find some cable adapters that convert mobile jacks to standard stereo, I used that with one of my headsets which did not work on my android device.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Yeah, I've experienced that before. They didn't even manage to use a standard (I had a Sony phone that didn't have the same wiring than other brands, IIRC).

What puzzled me is that a standard headphone (with just a stereo jack) works fine. But not a cable with the exact same jack.
I just discovered thatit has something to do with what's plugged on the other side. When I plug a cable with nothing at the other end, the phone doesn't react. when I plug the other end at my Bose speaker input (even switched off), the phone detects it and switches to heaphone.

Maybe I should plug both left and right RCA of my cable to input/output of the Oric tape port.

EDIT: VICTORY ! I had to plug both left and right channels so the phone switches to headphone mode.
Now loading Macadam Bumper, it seems to work perfectly :lol:
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

The app is brillant, displaying a progress bar and all kind of information (memory usage and so on).
RoboFruit
1st Star Corporal

Post by RoboFruit »

Unbelievable. I have spent most of my spare time this weekend repairing a failed keyboard multiplexor. Have had to harvest from my already knackered Atmos. Now I can't get my old sound mod to work and I have convinced myself that my original diagram is wrong. I will post on another thread to see if anyone can help me out. Such a shame as I wanted to play with the app this weekend. :(
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Thanks for all replays and for the nice words - I'm happy you like TapOric!

Here some answers:
@coco.oric: about the android market - no plans for now. If the point is to have automatic check for updates only, I can add this option based on my own solution.
@Jack_Free: the slow mode is really slow - type CLOAD"",S in Oric to use it ... but as I said it's boring slow :).
@Badger: thanks for reporting "a minor issue with the folder" if I reproduce it - it will be fixed.

So, expect (this month) next version with included:
- new speed 'F16 (c) Symoon';
- new speed 'Tap2CD (c) F.Frances';
- new speed 'F16CD' - simply Tap2CD loader is loaded by F16 :lol:
- in app check for updates.

The most important things to enjoy TapOric are the phone and the cable. I'm preparing detailed info with results from output test of 4 different phones and instructions for a simple DIY cable. I'll put it on my site and a shorter version here.
Badger
Pilot Officer

Post by Badger »

iss wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:29 pm I'm preparing detailed info with results from output test of 4 different phones and instructions for a simple DIY cable.
The Oric and Acorn BBC and Acorn Electron use the same cassette cables. For those who don't wish to make their own cable, BBC/Electron supplies are much more readily available than specific Oric ones (in the UK at least).

I wonder if any other old micros used the same cassette interfacing?

Works a dream with my S9+ once the correct volume is acheived. Its almost like being back in the 80's :D
My settings in TapOric:-
Auto volume max = Off
Sample Rate 44100Khz

Phone :- Media Volume , about 3 notches down from maximum.

I was playing Hunchback on my Atmos last night , still can't complete it :twisted: :D
flag_uk Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Cool! I'm glad to know that TapOric works on Samsung Galaxy S9+!
It will be very useful to share the model of devices on which the app is tested for a (in)compatibility list.

About the cable: in short, here the point is more to satisfy the phone requirements then the Oric.
Ideal is 4-pole 3.5mm jack (don't forget recording will come ... one day). 3-pole 3.5mm jack works too but playback only.
You need 3 resistors and (eventually) 1 capacitor. I'll draw the DIY schematic just need to select best values.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

iss wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:29 pmSo, expect (this month) next version with included:
- new speed 'F16 (c) Symoon';
- new speed 'Tap2CD (c) F.Frances';
- new speed 'F16CD' - simply Tap2CD loader is loaded by F16 :lol:
- in app check for updates.
Woohoo!
I can send you Novalight "sources" (you know, my dirty 6502 sources, and my beginner-level C code), if you wish to get a headache for a next version :D
I'm currently writing documentation and need to compile and do a final test, then I think I'm ready for release.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

iss wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:29 pm - new speed 'Tap2CD (c) F.Frances';
Great!!! Make sure, please, to use the latest sources here https://sourceforge.net/projects/euphor ... ls/Tap2CD/

This version includes 2 modes: one checks for errors every 256 bytes (CRC) so it is great for adjusting volume and settings (it fails soon enough as to make the process quick), the other does not. And it avoids some small problems that made the output unloadable in some Orics (mine included!)

This one is not 100% guaranteed, but it is much more reliable.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

@Symoon: It would be great to include Novalight in next version. You can PM me the source and don't worry about its style :).
@Chema: Yes, I'm using the latest sources with your change (#99->#96) included. Actually I made new precise (I think) measurements and corrected all timing to bit lower values (but #96 is perfect "as is" ;)) for 44.1 kHz native frequency, of course for 48.0 kHz all values are different - the result is theoretically slightly even faster Tap2CD!

And little help:
buttons.png
You may already know but this are buttons:
- pressing the left one toggles autorun flag on/off for next playback (TAP file remains untouched);
- pressing the lower right one has effect by multi-part TAP files and toggles between pause after every part and continues playback.
(1st and 3rd are the same for now, 1st one with letter 'A' is reserved for playback controlled by Oric).
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

... and more help: Did you know TapOric can play WAV, MP3 and other audio files depending on what you phone can. :P