Transferring Array files from tape to PC.

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
dave3622
Flying Officer

Transferring Array files from tape to PC.

Post by dave3622 »

I have just recently acquired the game 'NHL Icehockey Manager' for the Atmos and managed to transfer the main game file to TAP. Unfortunately on the reverse of the tape are 12 files which need to be loaded before the game will begin. These are loaded from the BASIC program via the RECALL command and no matter how I try, I am unable to transfer these files to TAP. Does anybody know if there is a way to do this or am I wasting my time trying? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Icehockey.tap
(46.77 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
Last edited by dave3622 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Re: Transferring Array files from tape to PC.

Post by Godzil »

Symoon may help on this
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Will take a look when I'm back from the flu!
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

BTW Dave I suppose there is a standard basic program first on the side, right?
If so you can sample the whole side, edit the silences between each part (leave a very small silence), it should decode the whole side in a raw into a TAP file.
This is not recommended as it can generate some garbage bytes between each part, but if the silence is really short (a few samples) it should be fine.
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Symoon wrote:BTW Dave I suppose there is a standard basic program first on the side, right?
If so you can sample the whole side, edit the silences between each part (leave a very small silence), it should decode the whole side in a raw into a TAP file.
This is not recommended as it can generate some garbage bytes between each part, but if the silence is really short (a few samples) it should be fine.
The first side is in 5 parts which I have combined to create the TAP. This is 100% error free and is a BASIC program so can be listed. The DATA is on the reverse of the tape and that's what I'm having difficulty with. I am very inexperienced when it comes to the more technical aspects of tape transfer and don't think I would be able to do what you have suggested. The cassette I have has clean data (loads with no problems on the Atmos) so I could record the 12 files as one long WAV if required and upload it here.
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

dave3622 wrote:
Symoon wrote:BTW Dave I suppose there is a standard basic program first on the side, right?
The first side is in 5 parts which I have combined to create the TAP. This is 100% error free and is a BASIC program so can be listed. The DATA is on the reverse of the tape and that's what I'm having difficulty with. I am very inexperienced when it comes to the more technical aspects of tape transfer and don't think I would be able to do what you have suggested. The cassette I have has clean data (loads with no problems on the Atmos) so I could record the 12 files as one long WAV if required and upload it here.
edit, just sent a PM to Steve Marshall and Rob Cook enquiring whether they have this game on TAP or DSK; if anybody does, they do. Regardless, it would be interesting to know if there is a solution to this problem. :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

dave3622 wrote:
Sorry I meant 2nd side.
Anyway, adding any standard program at the beginning of your WAV file (and removing it once the TAP file is done) should do it.
If you're lost, let me know if your WAV files can be donwloaded somewhere.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

So wav2tap is unable to work if the first thing in the wav is not a program?

This should be fixed
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Well, you need to synchronize if you want to avoid garbage in the TAP file.
That being said I made a (dirty) version that skipped the synchro to read programs whose beginning were cut on tape; I plan to make it an option in the next version of the tool. That being said, it remains dirty.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

There is no synchro for data stored on tape? o_O
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

I've come up with a way for me to recreate the 12 missing files without the need to transfer WAV files. It's very long-winded and I must be insane but what I am doing is writing down the contents of the 12 arrays (via my Oric Atmos). They contain mainly numbers and shouldn't take too long to write down. I will then boot up Oricutron and recreate the arrays, saving them to TAP using the STORE command. The whole process will take a few hours but I am confident it will be successful.
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

It worked! Took less than a hour to do as well. Here we now have a 100% working TAP file for this game.
Attachments
NHLHOCKEY.tap
(49.39 KiB) Downloaded 555 times
Last edited by dave3622 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

You are juste crazy! :D
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Well done but you're crazy, next time send me the WAV file ;)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Give this man a medal!