Track reading (Sedoric / FDC)

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
christian
Pilot Officer

Re: Track reading (Sedoric / FDC)

Post by christian »

Unlike Sedoric, there is no information stored on the disk because FTDOS does not permit to adjust the disk geometry.
So the format is always: 2 sides x 41 tracks x 17 sectors x 256 bytes. (with Jasmin 2)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Hey thanks a lot, very valuable information ;)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Interestingly, Omniflop lists 4 different formats for Jasmin:
40x17 340kB
41x17 348.5kB
42x17 357kB
They have been provided by Chloé so I suspect I should ask for details on the other forum!
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

This is from Jasmin manual, not very informative...
jas-man.png
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Thanks. I suspect the differences are with the user available tracks (would the system be present on the disk or not).
Or maybe small differences betwenn the (apparently) many different FTDOS versions.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

One mystery solved: the Nibble manual explains how it deals with track mode.
It actually reads the whole track first, keeping in memory each of the sectors ID positions. Then it reads each sector, and puts them in place of the ones that were read in track mode... "Because of the bad quality of track reading".

That's how there are much less $C2 in Nibble "track+sector" reading ;)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

This makes sense - first to use whole track reading just to get the "description" of the track (i.e. number of sectors and their size) and then to read every sector individually. Very interesting! :)
ThomH
Flying Officer

Post by ThomH »

I've just discovered possibly the most egregious of false sync situations:

On track 41, the ID mark for any normally-written floppy will be [sync] A1 * 3, FB 29. The final nine bits of that sequence are 000101001, which MFM encodes to: 01 01 00 10 00 10 01 00 1x, i.e. the C2 sync followed by 00 1x.

So a read track is essentially guaranteed always to lose synchronisation when reading addresses on track 41.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Hi,
Today I learnt that apparently, the Fujitsu MB8877A FDC could be used in place of the WD 1793.

If so, do you think there might be a chance that it wouldn't suffer from the same sync "problems", or is there no reason it would?
(the datasheet might answer this but didn't have time to look yet, just asking in case FDC wizards would have a straight answer ! )
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

iss wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:08 am This makes sense - first to use whole track reading just to get the "description" of the track (i.e. number of sectors and their size) and then to read every sector individually. Very interesting! :)
Indeed... that would help in writing a disc clone Oric utility. I always wondered if read_track/write_track only would do, and feared it would not.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Chema wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:21 pm Indeed... that would help in writing a disc clone Oric utility. I always wondered if read_track/write_track only would do, and feared it would not.
Well, at least with existing FDCs, it doesn't. I had updated the very first post of this thread, so we can have a sum-up of the situation.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

On the real Oric, if you read the same track multiple times, do you get the exact same result, or does some of the data change?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Symoon wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:39 pm... do you think there might be a chance that it wouldn't suffer from the same sync "problems", or is there no reason it would?
The MB8877A is drop-in replacement for WD1793 the only difference is that MB8877A doesn't require +12V (pin 40 is simply not bonded internally). I read (again :D) both datasheets and there is no reason to make any conclusion that MB8877A is some how better/different than WD1793 in regard of sync problems.
I have both and can do any tests with real hardware which may be helpful just define what need to be done :).
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Symoon wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:53 pm
Chema wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:21 pm Indeed... that would help in writing a disc clone Oric utility. I always wondered if read_track/write_track only would do, and feared it would not.
Well, at least with existing FDCs, it doesn't. I had updated the very first post of this thread, so we can have a sum-up of the situation.
Yes, I understood. I meant that I as almost sure it would not work. But reading the track to get the geometry, then using that information would. I imagine you can get the full geometry (sectors per track, sector size, interleave...) from a read_track command...
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:19 pm On the real Oric, if you read the same track multiple times, do you get the exact same result, or does some of the data change?
According to what I tested long ago (see here), it seems it changes. Sometimes inserting $C2, sometimes crushing data, therefore probably making multiple reads/comparing/fixing a nightmare.
I read (again :D) both datasheets and there is no reason to make any conclusion that MB8877A is some how better/different than WD1793 in regard of sync problems.
I have both and can do any tests with real hardware which may be helpful just define what need to be done :).
Thanks! I didn't have high expactations, but still dreaming there would be a workaround to this problem ^^
Regarding test, I'd have to find back the small testing program used earlier in this thread.
I imagine you can get the full geometry (sectors per track, sector size, interleave...) from a read_track command...
We sure could read each sector of a track after a read_track and see how many there are. Regarding the amount of tracks, I may be wrong but I don't think it is recorded somewhere? (outside Operating Systems doing it of course). Maybe this could be guessed by counting the amount of filling data somewhere, since it depends on the geomerty? That could be worth trying to figure out, not forgetting afterwards that working with the famous $C2 that can crush useful data won't be easy!