tap2dsk

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
Twilighte
Game master

tap2dsk

Post by Twilighte »

I recently started using tap2dsk which is very cool and saves alot of work. However does anyone know if there is an automated way i can stop tap2dsk naming the file noname000 but the parsed tape filename?

Currently i use it when i convert AYT music held in a Tape file to a disk file but it always saves the file as NONAME000. I do understand you can pass multiple taps to the converter but it would be nice if it (at least) gave the option of saving the file as the same is it was passed.

Alternatively Is there a dos based utility that can rename a file on a sedoric disk? (i know ODM does it but thats manual) :P
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The source code is available, so yeah it can be modified.
Will put the source on the SVN server.
Chema
Game master

Re: tap2dsk

Post by Chema »

Twilighte wrote:I recently started using tap2dsk which is very cool and saves alot of work. However does anyone know if there is an automated way i can stop tap2dsk naming the file noname000 but the parsed tape filename?

Currently i use it when i convert AYT music held in a Tape file to a disk file but it always saves the file as NONAME000. I do understand you can pass multiple taps to the converter but it would be nice if it (at least) gave the option of saving the file as the same is it was passed.

Alternatively Is there a dos based utility that can rename a file on a sedoric disk? (i know ODM does it but thats manual) :P
I used taptap executable for that, if I am right. If the file does have a name (not the empty string) it is added with that name to the disk.

I had to modify a couple of things in OSDK (some modifications were sent to me by Dbug, I think, and I added some more).

In the OSDK bin directory I have a modified make.bat which issues:

Code: Select all

:
:: Append the tape header
::
ECHO Creating final program %OSDKNAME%.TAP
%OSDKB%\header.exe %OSDKHEAD% build\final.out build\%OSDKNAME%.tap %OSDKADDR%
%OSDKB%\taptap.exe ren build\%OSDKNAME%.tap %OSDKTAPNAME% 0
Check for the third line, which runs taptap and renames the first program (number 0) with the name in OSDKTAPNAME

Then, for creating the disk it runs:

:: Generate the DSK file
IF "%OSDKDISK%"=="" GOTO EndBuildDisk

%OSDK%\bin\tap2dsk.exe -n%OSDKDNAME% -i%OSDKINIST% %OSDKDISK% build\%OSDKNAME%.tap build\%OSDKNAME%.dsk
%OSDK%\bin\old2mfm.exe build\%OSDKNAME%.DSK

:EndBuildDisk
Using tap2dsk and adding the INIST command which runs the basic loader (the one that checks if it is the first run or not to decide if the intro is to be launched).

I have the next on the osdk_config.bat

:: List of files to put in the DSK file.
:: Implicitely includes BUILD/%OSDKNAME%.TAP
SET OSDKTAPNAME="SP99"
SET OSDKDISK=world\world.tap  run99.tap ..\intro\build\intro.tap 
SET OSDKDNAME=" -- SPACE:1999 --"
SET OSDKINIST="!RUN99.COM"
It is a bit complicated, I admit it, and I hardly remember how I configured everything, but once it is set up it speeds things up a lot.

Cheers
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Unfortunately this tool does not work anymore on windows 7.

Is there a way to create disk images from tap images easily ?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

peacer wrote:Unfortunately this tool does not work anymore on windows 7.
Is there a way to create disk images from tap images easily ?
There are now real Windows versions of these tools, check here:
* http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/ ... ap2dsk.exe
* http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/ ... ld2Mfm.exe
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Thank you. I think my answer was old2mfm.exe

Now I have another problem.

I am trying to create disk files to hold tape images together in disk format.

For this, I want to use this tool to add as much tap images as I can into one disk image. So, I will have something like

numbers --> games starting with numbers, like 3DFONGUS, 4KKONG..
a.dsk --> all the games starting with "a"
bcd.dsk ---> games starting with b,c,d
efgh.dsk ---> games starting with efgh..
wxyz.dsk ----> gams starting with w, x,y and z

in old tap2dsk utility it was possible to use wildcards . for example : tap2dsk a*.tap a.dsk but this windows versiyon, it does not accept such wildcard parameter and I have to add all the filenames one by one. This is sooooo annoying and long business.

I know there's another windows utility for OSDK "DSKbuilder" but I couldn't use that too.

With diskbuilder, its very helpful to build disk schemes to fill as much as 360 kbs of tape files in single disk image. But when I let the program build that disk image, I get an error "Problem converting disk to MFM".

If I unclick "convert disk to MFM on build" option, program creates a dsk file but this does not load on emulator.

I try to use that newly created disk image by diskbuilder with old2mfm , it says "numbers.dsk is not an old disk image"

Do you have any ideas about this problem? What is the easiest way to create single disk images from multiple tape files?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Dbug may answer this. I am not sure why the old version would support wild cards and the new one won't. Anyway couldn't some smart redirection, piping or something similar do the trick? Something like a dir a*.tap>files with tap2dsk < files ?