My new Oric site

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

jorodr, you mentioned a guy called Ivan wrote the Emulator?
Does he speak english at all? Could i enquire direct to him what the emulator supports?
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

Yes, I've told to him, but he just says that the shift register is not fully supported. He says too that if we want he will make a full emulation if it's need. So later I will send you a private message with his e-mail to connect you.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

hi to eveyone who (dis)liked my Emul8D.
any questions, comments and suggestions about Emul8D and Pravetz8D are welcome...
Twilighte: "Does he speak english at all?" I'll try :wink:. to contact me use pm or iss(at)dir.bg
jorodr: special thanks for your support
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Iss: I'm actually positively surprised by what I tried, it works quite nicely.
I would suggest to have the default zoom mode to "non dithered" (mode 2), because the default dithering is very strange.

The most annoying thing for me was the keyboard layout, on my pc keyboard (French Azerty), the keys I pressed did not match either the Oric keyboard location or the french layout, so it took some time before I was able to locate !, " and # ;)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Dbug wrote:I'm actually positively surprised by what I tried, it works quite nicely.
Thanks!
Dbug wrote:...default zoom mode to "non dithered" (mode 2)
You can change zoom on the fly using F7/F8 or you can edit "emul8d.cfg" (simple text file created with first run in directory with emul8d.exe) changing "zoom = 2".
Dbug wrote:...keyboard (French Azerty)...
Stay tuned for next release coming soon :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

By the way, is there an official address for where to download Emul8D, i'd like to add it on the sticky post for "where to get emulators", so should I use the URL provided by your friend or do you have another one to use instead?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Dbug wrote:By the way, is there an official address for where to download Emul8D
Use http://iss.hit.bg. it is in my profile too. currently you can find the last "public" release but i plan to make updates.
btw, for me it's no problem to upload all source tree in defence-force SVN repository.
Emul8D is portable on platforms I use: Linux and m$w and depends on SDL only.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Added the link on Image
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

Hello Iss, I'm glad to see that you've back to your Oric project :) Now I can remove download link to Emul8D and point link to your site.
After my success building Pravetz 8D disk-controller on CPLD, now I thing to do it with Microdic too. My head is full of ideas about Pravetz 8D (Oric) hardware extentions, so I'll be glad to discuss them.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

If all the people in the Oric world that are good in hardware could get together to make an optimized Microdisc/Cumana compatible board, something that works reliably, small, not too expensive, that would be awesome. it does not even have to support real floppies, it could just have a SD card slot.

I would definitely buy that, I already bought equivalent stuff for the Atari ST (SatanDisk and UltraSatan).
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

Dbug I've started to work and posted that:
http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?t=619
but not any support. Even that I can make the controller with CPLD i thing. But first I will make the regular schematics. Cumana is better than Microdisc, believe me. There's much thinking on this board. I will add RS-232 to the board + Memory Extention (I've bought 512K modules for experiments). On Monday I'll look for proper CPLD (I've pointed xc95144). The most exotic idea is to make additional HIRES page and switch between both... But... it will take a long time :)
About the SD-card controller - Soon I'll take a pictures of my SD-card drive. It's Microdisc compatible. I'm looking for a good box and laser-cutter for it.
What Atari you're using? I have brand new Atari 800 XL, but with no drive or software for it :(
Last edited by jorodr on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

If you can manage to implement the possibility to change the start address of the HIRES screen, with the hardware VSync, this would give the possibility to make a totally new type of software :)

How would this work, by playing with the address bus lines ?

I checked your schematics when you posted the original link, but like Chema I've no clue about anything hardware.

I fear that like many things in the Oric world, the journey on the ambitious projects starts as a one man adventure against all obstacles, and when this one man get far enough to show that 1) it can be done and 2) the author is serious enough to actually consider finish the project, then people tend to join and help finish the project.

At least it's what happened for a number of software projects in these last years.

I believe if you can manage to get far enough on a prototype, even if it's not super reliable, even if it's bulky, etc... possibly some people will come on board and help improve the design/make it cheaper/add features, etc...
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

I prefer to finish what I'm doing. So my first wish is to end the Bulgarian CPLD disc-controller, because it's wire-based now. So I must prepare a board for it. This will be good exercise for next stage - Cumana controller. About the people helping, I'm motivated not only from helping, but from not-helping people too, because they make me to learn new things and make my projects by myself :) It's good for brain, because don't make him rest :) (If I have so ... :lol: )