Impossible Mission

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
carlsson
Pilot Officer

Post by carlsson »

Loader music? As far as I know, the original game has no title screen music, much less ingame music. I understand if you want to add some, I am a computer musician myself, but if memory is limited it would seem unfortunate if speech or some features were sacrificed to fit a bit of music. 8)
Anders Carlsson
groepaz
Private

Post by groepaz »

If you or somebody else reverse engineer SAM, I'd be interested to have a look. I believe it could be made to run on almost any 6502 computer with a sound chip, give or take the amount of work involved.
there: http://hitmen.c02.at/html/tools_sam.html :)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

carlsson wrote:Loader music? As far as I know, the original game has no title screen music, much less ingame music. I understand if you want to add some, I am a computer musician myself, but if memory is limited it would seem unfortunate if speech or some features were sacrificed to fit a bit of music. 8)
Absolutely right about no music on c64 version, which this game is 'roughly' based on. However years before i began developing this game i found a fantastic Spectrum 3 channel track of the Mission Impossible theme tune and decided even if samples weren't gonna be possible i'd at least put that music into it. Currently recomposing it.

Anyway as pointed out before the Cassette version of IM will not contain samples(minimum of 8K required) but there is the possibility of samples fitting in a disk version(around 15K of overlay suddenly becomes available) which i do plan to do after releasing the cassette version.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

That's the spirit !

You are hardcore, man :)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

I hope to get the Tape game finished just in time for Christmas :P
But to do this i have the following areas to complete.

1) compose (recompose) IM music, compile and integrate into game *
2) Fix remaining Game issues, release to select few to game test
3) Add joystick support (Telestrat, ijk)
4) Sort end of game (win/lose) and introduction (Twilighte Logo)
5) Prepare multiload tape
6) Get documentation done

* WAVE (New Music editor, link below) will be used to compose the new song. :)

WAVE can be found here..
http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?t=543
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Ok, have finally pulled myself away from Wave dev and have composed about 85.4% of the IM tune :P
It uses SID but no Samples and will be played in the intro to the game. I hope the intro will have a similar appearance to Space:1999 but with the additional burning horizontal fuse so indicative of the original titles of the series.
It won't be based on the much more recent Film franchise :P
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

IM tune now finished. Need to fix some more ingame issues then work out V2.00 music compiler for it.
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

could you reduce the sample-size by constructing the speech from allophone samples like an spo250/256 or votrax chip would?
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

This idea is not new, Symoon for many years slaved away at this. But its not so simple and the finished sound usually sounds pretty dire.
But this is low priority atm.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Just wanted to bump this thread and ask how its going? I'm really super eager to play this game! :)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

It (as with Times of Lore and my other projects) has been put on hold whilst i finish another game.

There are two ways of completing games.
Either by switching between them and gradually getting them all done but then having to wait a few years before seeing some fruit :P

Or by concentrating on one project and getting it done and released.

Anyway the last state of it was trying to address some nasty bits of gameplay, such as getting the lifts in the rooms to rise and fall to the next platform rather than to the next half platform height.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

You were on such a roll last year, I was really impressed with the progress ... but of course, its also good to hear its not your only project! :)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Ok, got back onto IM last night and added some more collision code so that now when hero runs into Droid and Arc or Orb he'll get electricuted and passed back to the entrance with lifts reset.

I'm going to ignore the half lift height issue for the moment. It does have the advantage that the hero can stand between two platforms with two droids firing in his direction and not get zapped!

Also the element of discovery was originally to gradually reveal the map of rooms but it somehow got diverted and now shows all rooms. I may just keep this because any thing to make it easier to play is a bonus.

The new game (not this one) is in the final stages of testing and will be released within a week :)
It will be released here on DF so keep an eye out.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

A new game will be released later this weekend. In the meantime i took the spare time to get back into finishing Impossible Mission.

I've now made some real progress and that was just today.

I've done the Ethan Droid/Spark collision detection and he burns nicely after electricution :twisted:

Finished the Terminal Menu so now I can freeze the robots for 30 odd secs and reset the lifts.

And the game seems pretty stable at last. Cross fingers :P

Just another 40 odd issues to sort out :(
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I'm really looking forward to the I:M release, yo! My wife plays I:M like a fiend on my GP2X (C64 emulator) and I have held off on showing her my Pandora for the same reason .. so when you finally release I:M, I'll be giving her an Atmos to play with!