Impossible Mission

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Gratulerer med dagen :)
Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

Feliz Aniversário Twi :D
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

yes, happy birthday Twilighte! I am very much enjoying your effort, and look forward to heaping tons more praise on you in the years to come! :)

long live the oric!
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Thanks Slicebit and thanks to all the rest of you for your best wishes thru the various messaging methods :)

Log
After a pleasant day with my family and a short nap i spent the last two hours resolving the isolated room bug. Finally managed to fix it just now :P
Now all rooms shown on map have exits to the lift shaft.
At the moment the complete map is shown but this is only the test scenario. When i can rely on the map more i will restore the original functionality that i term as plundered areas.
Like in original game you start with none of the map showing but each new lift shaft section and room you visit will be revealed in the map gradually revealing the complete map of rooms. 8)

Now i need to work out why the lift shaft arena is not related to the map of rooms then i can progress to linking corridors to rooms :wink:
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Even if a bit late....

Feliz Cumpleaños Twilighte!!!

I am really interested in seeing this game finished!!!
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Thanks Chema for the belated but welcome birthday wishes.

Well off camping shortly so no scheduled (hehe) work on it until i return at weekend. Leaving either today or tomorrow early :P

Log.
Finally fixed the lift shaft and have the hero running from lift shaft to room to lift shaft. He can also switch to pocket computer in corridor and back again :D

However some ugly bugs have cropped up, big ones too like enter a random room and robots freeze, or run to a lift and Ethan falls straight through it. So looking forward to debugging that (not) :evil:
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Back from camping and had a nice time but only slept one night in the wilds of Exmoor :)
Log
Got the Simple Simon computer working though it still needs a few things before its finished like the animated chessboard if you get the sequence right. Also a few bugs on exiting :P
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Log
Added code for pause and speaker buttons and tested.

Sound is either on or off because i use the Envelope generator in bistable alot and that particular element of sound cannot be changed in volume :(

Pause is as per original game clearing puzzle screen and freezing time (exactly meant for going to make a cup of tea (if your English) or Coffee or beer or take the dog out or answer the wife or whatever you people do during pause) :)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Log
Started work on the puzzle memory section. The existing work done was able to scroll through all posessed puzzle pieces with arrows that indicated more pieces below of above the viewable area.
Now, when the Player presses fire on a selected puzzle piece in the memory list it is transferred out of that list and into the work area list and displayed.

The work area is shown as a single slot for a puzzle piece.
You can then Flip and mirror it then match it to another puzzle piece in memory. When you think you have a match then you would select the merge button on the left to overlay the two graphics.
If they match the new combined image will be displayed in the work area. Once you manage to combine 4 single puzzle pieces and display them with the correct orientation and colour then the puzzle pieces become a punchcard and it awards you a letter of the passcode.
Thats the idea anyway. As for what's done..

Flip, Mirror and Delete buttons have been coded but having a few problems with keeping everything in check atm.

Added many more confirmation and denial sfx to the pocket computer. These take the simple form of high beeps for success and low beeps for unsuccessful.

Also, now when Ethan moves down the lift shaft instead of stopping at each screen length the lift will continue to move until it reaches a corridor intersection.
Also fixed a sound issue that meant the footsteps echoed alot. Now they sound much more accurate so as each foot hits the floor a Tshhh sound is heard.

Also Memory is now around $9100(Out of a possible $9FFF).
I had high hopes to limit memory below $9000 so that i would have 4K ($1000) for Samples. I guess we'll have to see how much i can optimise things. The most important thing is that it works! :P
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Log
Got most of the puzzle subgame done 8)
Now you can flip, mirror and overlay puzzle pieces. You can also undo (putting all the work puzzle pieces back in the memory list) and colour the finished 4 puzzle piece parts (punchcard).
All thats left is a bit of work around the colours, the matching of a finished punchcard with a password letter and the modem options then that will be the scorepanel pretty much done :wink:
Then its back to working on the main game again :?

I also added a nifty utility to my Symbolmon project that shows the number of times labels are used in the sourcecode and can also generate a report of unique labels.
It is currently only able to handle #include's in the main source file but its already showing a whole bunch of labels (to routines and data in IM) that are potentially redundant. This will hopefully recede memory from the current $9280 :P
Dbug is also considering placing this as an option into XA.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Log..
After running through the complete source and double checking the unique routines and labels were for real i have reduced memory from $9300 to $8DCB which is pretty good.
You can find it in this thread..

http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopi ... =3935#3935

Offcourse there are many other optimisations that can be done on memory and because game is not processor intensive in any particular place (apart maybe lift shaft scrolling) i can convert tables to code in many places and save many more bytes.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Log
Fixed the colours (which wasn't half as bad as i had thought) and after a bit of debugging got the system to match the 4 puzzle pieces (that form the punchcard) to the accepted Orientation and colour :P

Basically whilst you will need to mirror and flip the pieces in order to fit them together the final punchcard (made up of 4 pieces) may still be the wrong way round and the wrong colour.

The system also prevents you fitting the wrong pieces together just incase Symoon's designs permitted pieces from different groups to be fitted together? Likely i think and difficult to avoid.

The system now awards a letter of the final password, erases the 4 pieces from the game and awards a nice chord sfx :)

A completed password allows entry into Professor Atombenders (or should that be Atmosbender?) central control room.

Now on to modem options and then back to rooms :P
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Now created an issue log which (as always) gets larger everyday as i find more bugs than fixes. But it will start to level out soon and then recede.
You can view the current log here..

http://wiki.defence-force.org/doku.php?id=oric:im:main

Log..
Fixed a major issue regarding the lift platforms. When entering a room with lifts and then rising up them they sometimes only moved two lift platforms in the same group. This was because the particular room had 3 sets of lifts and each set (or group) was composed of a tier of 3 lift platforms. That made a total of 9 lift platforms except the code tables only allowed for up to 8.

Also added the modem menu option code and tested it a bit. With it comes a nice American dialling tone SFX with accurate dialling numbers finishing with some modem talking. Thanks Wikipedia! 8)

Also fixed the issue that crashed the game when you moved up the main lift shaft (MS) when the lift was at the top of the map.

Memory currently at $9020 (needs to be below $9000) :P
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Log
Still trying to figure out the bug that occurs when one prematurely stops searching an item. The irq routine appears to crash yet i don't remember using any element of it during the search procedure :evil:

Also found the lifts are reset everytime you re-enter a room. Another issue to add to the log, but actually feels like alot less than i thought there might be 8)

Also discovered a nasty bug which is currently prohibiting me from entering the terminal screen. This needs a bit of recoding :P
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Log
Spent all last night trying to figure out the first bug in the last message. Still none the wiser :(