French to English Translation

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
coolman66
Flight Lieutenant

French to English Translation

Post by coolman66 »

Is there a list of games translated from French to English I believe No Man’s Land have done a few ?
Jonh
Pilot Officer

Re: French to English Translation

Post by Jonh »

To my knowledge the only French software house to release its catalogue of French titles in English was indeed No Man's Land - give me a day or so and I'll post a full list.

The next source of French software translated into English is the CEO English discs, which contained quite a few translations by Laurent C. and myself; a list will take a little longer to compile :)

Finally Dom has more recently been producing English versions of French adventure-style games, as recorded on this forum.
Jonh
Pilot Officer

Post by Jonh »

Here's the list of No Man's Land titles released in English:

Address Book
Bank Account
Basic Plus
C.A.D.
Categ/Oric
Character Generator
CW Morse
D Bug
Diabolical Tower
Don Juan
Financial Calculator
Fireflash
Invoicing
Learning Forth
Library Catalogue
Multi Filer
Optimum
Panic
Screen Kit
Show Jumping
Styx
Supercopy
The Hare and the Tortoise
Transat 1
Tyrann
Zoolympics

I remember the stir when that lot landed together just as Oric was going under in the UK!
Last edited by Jonh on Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Thanks for the list!
Actually, there's one hidden intruder in those English versions: Tyrann, which in French is a Norsoft game ;)
Jonh
Pilot Officer

Post by Jonh »

Originally it was Norsoft, but I believe NML must have licensed it from them, if only for their UK English language release of the title (perhaps because they lacked their own role-play dungeon game!)

Another example is The Hare and the Tortoise, which in the original French is called "Le Livre et la Tortue", released first by ARG Informatique / Cobrasoft!

Interestingly the Oric.org entry for the French version of Tyrann shows both Norsoft and NML as publisher?

The follow-up, Le Fer d'Amnukor, remained firmly Norsoft and French only :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Nice one about Hare and Tortoise, hadn't spotted this one.
Yes indeed it was licensed.

We had begun translating Amnukor yeaaaars ago with Jim Groom, but as many projects, it has stalled and we forgot it.

As for Oric.org, it has never been clearly defined what defines an entry (pretty complicated actually) - should a single page hold all the languages versions, all the publishers, and so on. So I suspect you'll find different ways of updating software.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:46 am As for Oric.org, it has never been clearly defined what defines an entry (pretty complicated actually) - should a single page hold all the languages versions, all the publishers, and so on. So I suspect you'll find different ways of updating software.
Different entries are fine, as long as the field to "link" other entries is set to point to the other ones, else it become very difficult to find anything :D
coolman66
Flight Lieutenant

Post by coolman66 »

Great to have so much interest in the translations , although the list says there are english versions of the games some at least on ORIC.ORG show for some reason not available or don't show an english version available these are Transat 1 .. Categoric .. Detective Story ... Mission Impossible... and of course although its not by NO MANS LAND .. TYRANN ... If anyone has downloadable versions of these program myself and i would think many other english enthusiast would be grateful of a downloadable version looking forwards to a resolvment of this problem .
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Some of those programs are already rather hard to find in French (Detective Story, Mission Impossible).
For the French doing tape transfers, the English versions can be even harder to find. Sometimes even common tapes in UK can't be found in France (I've been looking for the Italian language course of Tansoft for a while now!).
That might explain why they are missing on Oric.org.

EDIT: BTW I have Categ-Oric in English, will try to update it some day (real life is taking over these days)
Jonh
Pilot Officer

Post by Jonh »

Just a few translations of French programmes:

By Laurent C -
Masque d'Or (Golden Mask)
Princesse Aurorre 2

By myself -
Millionaire
Tour du Monde (Around the World in 80 Days)
Sinistre Epopée (Sinister Epic)
Easytext
Lorigraph
Robinson Crusoe

And one unattributed - probably Laurent C.
Oeil de Zoltec (Zoltec's Eye)

[Updated 7 April]
Last edited by Jonh on Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
coolman66
Flight Lieutenant

Post by coolman66 »

Never seen an English version of OEIL DU ZOLTEC anyone like to put on a down loadable file ! , Only the French version is available on PRIC.ORG !
Jonh
Pilot Officer

Post by Jonh »

It's now up on Oric.org, thanks for the nudge!
coolman66
Flight Lieutenant

Post by coolman66 »

So pleased to have such a quick and positive reply and result , Thanks Jonh one more French text Adventure i can lose myself in