vbcc optimizing C compiler now with Oric Atmos support

Since we do not have native C compilers on the Oric, this forum will be mostly be used by people using CC65 or the OSDK. But any general C related post will be welcome !
iss
Wing Commander

Re: vbcc optimizing C compiler now with Oric Atmos support

Post by iss »

Attached are results with different optimization options ( -O={1023,991,-1} ).
smaller size: 991 < 1023 < -1
faster code: 1023 < -1 < 991

I'll continue with 991 until the 2-pass (size/speed) bench is ready for all compilers.
This was fun exercise. :)
Attachments
results-opt.zip
(9.1 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
vbc
2nd Star Corporal

Post by vbc »

iss wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:43 pm Attached are results with different optimization options ( -O={1023,991,-1} ).
Thanks for the update. I had a look at some of the more surprising results and there still are a lot of questions, e.g.:
  • Why do almost all compilers have a failed-to-run for the frogtest? You already posted working versions from all compilers in the other thread.
  • How did you get those extremely fast results for sdcc in the sort-tests? At first, I thought it might be due to the small array with hardcoded numbers. Using something like very aggressive inlining and unrolling, a compiler could perhaps perform the sort basically at compile-time. However, I compiled merge-sort with sdcc, and it does not seem to do anything special. Checking the generated code, I do not see how the results could be so much better than of all of the other compilers. Unless I am missing something, are you sure your measurements are correct?
  • I was oviously stunned by the lcc-results for the pi test being so much better than those of vbcc (completely contrary to all other tests). First thing I recognized is that the test uses long for all variables. lcc apparently uses 16bit longs which is not C compliant, making the test not really comparable. But even then I would expect that to give between a two- and four-time advantage to lcc (probably somewhat offset by its worse code generation) rather than a factor of >50 like in your tests. How did you measure those?
  • There is also use of long in mandelbrot.c (and - strangely - in this case an extremely bad score for lcc). You should use int16_t or int32_t with correct adaptations for each compiler for pi and mandelbrot.
I think we will need to see the build- and run-environment.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

vbc wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:40 pm [*]Why do almost all compilers have a failed-to-run for the frogtest?
The 'frogmove' is real working app for Oric and runs forever, so all test must be indicated as 'fail-to-run' (here sdcc really fails but I didn't check why). Actually the idea for this test was to twit how it looks visually (sdcc not included in picture):

vbc wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:40 pm I think we will need to see the build- and run-environment.
I had other plans for the weekend but ok, you convinced me, I'll try to make it good enough to be present at public ;)
(I'm just trying to avoid writing long texts because it's so time-consuming task).

EDIT: sdcc result in sorting are fake.
vbc
2nd Star Corporal

Post by vbc »

iss wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:23 pm [The 'frogmove' is real working app for Oric and runs forever, so all test must be indicated as 'fail-to-run' (here sdcc really fails but I didn't check why).
Ok, I see. That's a bit misleading in the table.
Actually the idea for this test was to twit how it looks visually (sdcc not included in picture):
Yes, it is a nice visual benchmark.
I had other plans for the weekend but ok, you convinced me, I'll try to make it good enough to be present at public ;)
No hurries, I don't want to ruin your weekend. :-)
EDIT: sdcc result in sorting are fake.
Ok.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I've been playing a bit with vbcc, the main thing is that despite being very exhaustive, I think the documentation is missing some stupidly simple examples of command line to use to get quickly started.

So from what I saw, after doing:

Code: Select all

SET VBCC=D:\vbcc\vbcc6502_r3p3\vbcc6502\vbcc6502_win\vbcc
SET PATH=D:\vbcc\vbcc6502_r3p3\vbcc6502\vbcc6502_win\vbcc\bin;%PATH%
I was then able to assemble a small test program

int main()
{
   char* scr=(char*)0xbb80;
   scr[0]='v';
   scr[1]='b';
   scr[2]='c';
   scr[3]='c';
}
When called with

vc +atmos -O4 -S test.c
I get a test.asm source code:

;vcprmin=10000
	section	text
	global	_main
_main:
	lda	#118
	sta	48000
	lda	#98
	sta	48001
	lda	#99
	sta	48002
	sta	48003
	ldx	#0
	txa
	rts
; stacksize=0+??
	zpage	sp
	zpage	r0
	zpage	r1
	zpage	r2
	zpage	r3
	zpage	r4
	zpage	r5
	zpage	r6
	zpage	r7
	zpage	r8
	zpage	r9
	zpage	r10
	zpage	r11
	zpage	r12
	zpage	r13
	zpage	r14
	zpage	r15
	zpage	r16
	zpage	r17
	zpage	r18
	zpage	r19
	zpage	r20
	zpage	r21
	zpage	r22
	zpage	r23
	zpage	r24
	zpage	r25
	zpage	r26
	zpage	r27
	zpage	r28
	zpage	r29
	zpage	r30
	zpage	r31
	zpage	btmp0
	zpage	btmp1
	zpage	btmp2
	zpage	btmp3
which indeed is pretty much the conversion of the C code, with the added optimisation of reusing the 'c' instead of reloading it, which is nice.

If I compile with

vc +atmos -O4 test.c -o test.tap
I get a 266 bytes long program which does not exit, because it ends with a JMP on itself, is it something that can be disabled?

Regarding the default output names, when exporting an object file, we get "name.out", when using -S we get "name.asm", would it be possible to have "name.tap" instead of "name.out" when generating an actual tape file?
vbc
2nd Star Corporal

Post by vbc »

Dbug wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:48 pm I've been playing a bit with vbcc, the main thing is that despite being very exhaustive, I think the documentation is missing some stupidly simple examples of command line to use to get quickly started.
What are you missing? The README mentions simple examples:

Compiling works pretty much like most compilers, e.g.:

vc file.c -o binary

When using floating point, link with the math library:

vc file.c -lm -o binary

For IEEE floating point, link with -lmieee and use -ieee:

vc file.c -ieee -lmieee -o binary

Choose a different target confguration with +<cfg>:

vc +c64 file.c -o file.c64
  vc +nes file.c -o file.nes
  vc +atari file.c -o file.com
  vc +bbc file.c -o file
  vc +m65 file.c -o file
  vc +atmos file.c -o file.tap
  vc +x16 file.c -o file
Further details are mentioned in vbcc.pdf. I agree that the relevant information is somewhat scattered around. E.g. relevant parts of the compiler for the Oric are the chapters "General", "The Frontend", "The Compiler", "6502 Backend", "Code Compressor", and "C-Library/6502-Atmos". Similar for vasm/vlink. The necessary information should be there, but admittedly not always easy to find. Not sure there is a way to make that much easier - without adding much work for me that is :-)
If I compile with

vc +atmos -O4 test.c -o test.tap
I get a 266 bytes long program which does not exit, because it ends with a JMP on itself, is it something that can be disabled?
You can either use +atmosr which will create a file with BASIC header that returns to BASIC and can be started multiple times. Also, libsrc/6502-atmos contains the source code for the startup-code (startup.s) which contains the loop. You could change that and copy a modified startup.o into targets/6502-atmos/lib.

This is the area where I am not familiar enough with the Oric to know what kind of configs are most useful. For example, is there any benefit for a program to return to BASIC (which AFAIK might require to save/restore a number of memory locations) if it can not be reliably run a second time anyway (due to data section not preserved)?
Regarding the default output names, when exporting an object file, we get "name.out", when using -S we get "name.asm", would it be possible to have "name.tap" instead of "name.out" when generating an actual tape file?
Actually, you will always get "a.out" when not specifying an output file. This is the convention used by many compilers like gcc. I also prefer it like that. For asm or object files you usually create one output for every input file (at least when ignoring cross-module optimizations). Therefore, there is a natural name for those files. In the linking stage you will usually have many input files and there is not an obvious output name. You could use the first input file, but it is not uncommon to do something like "vc *.c" (especially with foreign code). IMHO it helps here to have a fixed name rather than having to search what the output is called this time.

I agree that in your special case with a single input file it might be make sense. But I think in a real project you will want to explicitly specify an output name in the linking stage anyway. Therefore I want to stay with widespread convention here.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

What are you missing? The README mentions simple examples:
Ok, did not think of looking at the readme, I was only looking at the pdf file.

Regarding the configurations, what is the default config used if you don't specify a +<cfg>?

So regarding atmos config specifically:
- add re-entrant option +atmosr for Oric/Atmos
- add raw-binary option +atmosb for Oric/Atmos
- updated vlink (use uppercase names for oricmc)
- new target Oric/Atmos
- updated vlink (needed for Oric tape files)
- added support for Oric target format
I personally find the differences between +atmos, +atmosb and +atmosr very confusing, and imo, you should not care about BASIC at all or looping: If the user wants their program to not leave, it's their problems, not the compiler or linker.

Typically if you load a program, if it does not modify any of the system variables, it will most probably be able to come back to the BASIC prompt (or any program that called it) without anything failing.

Another important factor is that many people disable the system: Typically games like Blake's 7 or demos like Pushing The Enveloppe don't use the ROM at all, so they can use whatever they want in zero page or page 2, so don't assume anything about the calling system.

Typically the startup code is doing things which it should not be doing, like caring about caps lock

; disable caps lock
 lda #127
 sta $20c
I also think that things like erasing the BSS or copying the zero page should be optional.

; set user stack
 lda #<MEMEND
 sta  sp
 lda  #>MEMEND
 sta  sp+1
Where is MEMEND defined?
- add argc/argv support for Oric/Atmos
How is that implemented?
From what I see, that seems to use some trickery using a REM after the LOAD command, and parsing the BASIC buffer?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

MOS6502 updated. I've put the info in new topic, so this one to be for vbcc related discussions only.
As I said before - I like vbcc ... ;)
vbc
2nd Star Corporal

Post by vbc »

Dbug wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:24 pm [Regarding the configurations, what is the default config used if you don't specify a +<cfg>?
It looks for vc.config or vc.cfg (on Windows).
Typically the startup code is doing things which it should not be doing, like caring about caps lock

; disable caps lock
 lda #127
 sta $20c
I also think that things like erasing the BSS or copying the zero page should be optional.
The standard startup code should set up a C environment that allows to run (within its restrictions of course) standard portable C programs without having to adapt them specifically to Oric. If someone is writing specific Oric-code, it is of course possible to modify the startup code or to use -nostdlib and provide your own startup-code and/or libraries.
Where is MEMEND defined?
In the linker file targets/6502-atmos/vlink.cmd.
- add argc/argv support for Oric/Atmos
How is that implemented?
From what I see, that seems to use some trickery using a REM after the LOAD command, and parsing the BASIC buffer?
Yes. There are examples in vbcc.pdf in "C Library=>6502/Atmos=>Startup and Memory=>Command Line". I just took the code that was originally written for cc65. You can have a look at it in libsrc/6502-atmos/mainargs.s
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

@vbc: No dig deal, but what about warning free compilation ;)

vbcc/frontend/vc.c:600: warning: the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
vbc
2nd Star Corporal

Post by vbc »

iss wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:21 am @vbc: No dig deal, but what about warning free compilation ;)

vbcc/frontend/vc.c:600: warning: the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
Unfortunately there is no way to avoid warnings on all compilers. The hint is also not that helpful here, considering that it suggests replacing a standard C library function with a POSIX-only function that does something different...
applepie
Officer Cadet

Post by applepie »

I had to clean up my messy build so now thanks to a cute new Rakefile I can switch from compilers and targets in no time...

Switching to vbcc went smooth :
- vbcc spotted few typos,
- some warnings (but legitimate ones, unsigned char bitfields)
- I had to borrow an itoa(), not a big deal
- and I need to cleanup some profiling macros that vbcc don't like (didn't checked, not important for now)

There's only one thing that I'll miss : binary litterals (YES they're not part of C99 std but I LIKE THEM !)
Without doing anything the code size is bigger with vbcc (9.5k -> 15k, might be caused by libc calls) but I did not used any optimization on both compilers. Time to RTFM ;-)

I'm absolutely happy to finally have a working vbcc ! That open my mind on cross compiling for non-6502 targets, just to see what's doable

Another hole into the rabbit hole ;-)
vbc
2nd Star Corporal

Post by vbc »

applepie wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:12 pm There's only one thing that I'll miss : binary litterals (YES they're not part of C99 std but I LIKE THEM !)
Curiously I had never seen them being used, but I happened to read about people using them just yesterday on another forum as well. So I had a look at vbcc and it turns out they were extremely simple to add. Therefore they will be supported in the next release (although I cannot say when that will be). If there is interest in trying it out, I can upload a source snapshot for testing.
applepie
Officer Cadet

Post by applepie »

vbc wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:59 am Curiously I had never seen them being used
It's really a matter of taste, but I find

#define NOT_WALKABLE 0b01010010
more readable than

#define NOT_WALKABLE 0x52
Not talking about situations where reading/writing hardware registers/ports is needed, and worst : if values are 16bits long

When you'll have a snapshot to check, I'll happy do !
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The main reason for people not using boolean literals, is that many of the old compilers for old architectures have never been updated to use them, and we rarely need to use bit masking on modern projects.

But yeah, when doing assembler, I use binary over hexadecimal decimal when doing things like masking bits or storing bitmap graphics in a recognizable way.