Pseudo pixel game prototype.

Since we do not have native C compilers on the Oric, this forum will be mostly be used by people using CC65 or the OSDK. But any general C related post will be welcome !
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Pseudo pixel game prototype.

Post by jbperin »

Well .. yes ... I see what you all mean .. :D

One thing that stunned me in the H3 lib, is the nice packaging behind a very understandable API providing ultra convenient graphical routine (such as circle lines text ...)

But I admit that some nasty demo makers :twisted: had allways made isane usage of this technic. :shock:
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Well, you don't technically need the API,
my 256 bytes "circles" intro uses CIRCLE to draw things in HIRES, and then it's copied to the charset and displayed in TEXT.

It's not as fast as drawing directly in the charset, but on the other hand 100% of the existing HIRES commands do work.

Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Also, Oricium is all text mode. All sprite masking & animation is done by redefining characters. Even the pixel scroll in the starfield.

And the radar at the bottom.

The code is in the repo, if you're interested.
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Dbug wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:34 pm uses CIRCLE to draw things in HIRES, and then it's copied to the charset and displayed in TEXT.

It's not as fast as drawing directly in the charset, but on the other hand 100% of the existing HIRES commands do work.
Because that's a kind of magic to me, I consider it is witchcraft :lol:

It reminds me of a sophisticated bit alignment tricks in character adressing in the charset that you had talked to me about .. but I can't remember the details. Anyway nice effects
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The only magic is the system flag that allows the ROM to access to draw the HIRES command despite being in TEXT mode.

After it's just a matter of copying whatever is in $A000 to the charset area.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

First Dbug, please ignore me reporting your post, answered using the wrong button again. Of course I meant the quote button instead of the report button.

Second: with your explanation it is suddenly so simple.
I am exploring more and more those nice demo techniques in 6502 assembler for different machines (but still seriously lack time to proceed fast in it)
Bodhi
Officer Cadet

Post by Bodhi »

Interesting that nowadays people seem to be able to get a lot more out of a wide variety of computers than they did back then. :D
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Bodhi wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:45 am Interesting that nowadays people seem to be able to get a lot more out of a wide variety of computers than they did back then. :D
No, it's totally logical:
- All the documentation is available
- All the hardware qwirks are known
- There are emulators with built-in debuggers
- Cross compiler/assemblers are much more powerful and faster than original native hardware
- You can brute force a lot of things (color reduction, data compression, ...) using modern computers
- And using cross builds means you can use 100% of the memory of the target computer, you don't have to reserve any memory for your assembler or debugger.
Bodhi
Officer Cadet

Post by Bodhi »

Dbug wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:06 am
Bodhi wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:45 am Interesting that nowadays people seem to be able to get a lot more out of a wide variety of computers than they did back then. :D
No, it's totally logical:
- All the documentation is available
- All the hardware qwirks are known
- There are emulators with built-in debuggers
- Cross compiler/assemblers are much more powerful and faster than original native hardware
- You can brute force a lot of things (color reduction, data compression, ...) using modern computers
- And using cross builds means you can use 100% of the memory of the target computer, you don't have to reserve any memory for your assembler or debugger.
Yes, you are right. I did not have this in mind. So I'm looking forward of new games to come. My abilities are limited to a little BASIC. :-)
Now I have to refresh and expand my french I learned at school to read all the magazines ;-)
rax
Flying Officer

Post by rax »

I missed this discussion.
I will try to explain as soon as possible.
rax
Flying Officer

Post by rax »

applepie wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:38 pm Very very cool demo ! So 8bitish ;-)

There's magic in LORES 1, might inspire me !

What tool did you use to convert the png files to .c data (https://github.com/raxrax/oricOsdkPseud ... ster/res.c) ?
I wanted to experiment with 3x4 pixels and see what could be achieved with them.

The tools I use are several. I mostly use Pictconv (as ISS mentioned), TILED, GIMP, and sometimes, if I need to do some quick converts, I write in Bash, Lua, C, PHP

Getting the sprites works like this:
- Define standard sprites that are one character with 2x2 pixels. https://forum.defence-force.org/downloa ... hp?id=3331
- Use sprites to create meta-sprites that are 3x3 sprites, i.e., 6x6 pixels (3x3 chars). https://forum.defence-force.org/downloa ... hp?id=3337

The level is made from the meta-sprites using TILED.
The maps and my various experiments can be seen in the archive below.

(*.tmx *.tsx - these are extensions of the TILED program)
Attachments
tiled.zip
(105.49 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
applepie
Officer Cadet

Post by applepie »

Pretty cool, thanks for the insights !

I'm on a similar boat with Ldtk, Piskel and Ruby ;-) But not already on the Lores world, trying to figure out how to do !