how to setup and use greaseweazle v4

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
Symoon
Archivist

Re: how to setup and use greaseweazle v4

Post by Symoon »

Hi,

I'm trying to read a 3" disk with my brand new Greaseweazle v4, and unsurprisingly as everytime I'm trying to work with disks, it doesn't work. All I ever get is "Command Failed: GetFluxStatus: No Index", and then nothing.
Either I'm doing something wrong, either I'm cursed with disks and will end up sending everything to the bin some time ^^

If not mistaken, I've bee using the same tool and setting than Hutch. The drive is on (the led is constantly bright) and seems to keep rotating, from the moment I plug it on. I tried with drive 0, 1, A and B to be sure I hadn't made some configuration mistake.
FluxMyFluffyFloppy.png
I read somewhere this indicated I likely plugged the floppy cable upside down, so changed it (as it's not clearly indicated on the card and my cable has no plastic-thing-to-prevent-from-plugging-upside-down), and got a big BEEEEEEP which made me think it was probably not the right correction ^^

I'm done with it for the weekend, being slightly fed up with disks and the constant resulting waste of time ;) But if anyone has any idea, or any succes with that hardware and know of traps to avoid, I'd be glad to read!
Thanks in advance.
PS: I could partially read the floppy disk I want to transfer, with the floppy drive I'm using, on a real Oric. So both are "working" (with errors of course ;) )
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I've still not tried my Greaseweazle, it's on my very long list of things to do :roll:
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

When I have the time / nerve to go back at it, I will try with a 3.5 floppy. Maybe it's more standard and if it works, that may indicate a drive incompatibility/misconfiguration.
kailokyra
Private

Post by kailokyra »

Are you confident about the ribbon cable you're using (and/or adapter to floppy 26 to 34 pin format), and the pinout ?

Are you also sure of your power supply and power connector pinout ? (On Amstrad CPC plus disc drives 5V and 12V are reversed for example, I assume it's the same for drives of other origins)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Thanks kailokyra for the relpy. Actually... Success!

The problem was the following:
1- I actually had the ribbon plugged upside-down, resulting the drive was always rotating
2- by changing it, I had the BEEEEEEEP again... Its cause ? Well, the drive was set up as drive B, and my drive A was plugged but... Unpowered!

Didn't know an unpowered drive could have this effect.
Feeling better!
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

USB provides 5V power. You can run 3.5" drives from it with no extra power suply. 3" drives need the 12V and 5V so need external power supply.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

After keeping my greaseweazle in my stock, i've tried to use it.
I've succeeded in make a backup from my amiga disk ; but i did'nt succeeded yet with a st disk.

If somebody knowns a tip, or may be i forgot something. I'll search ..
Then i'll try to connect an oric drive (as well i'll try with my orix base)
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I used the FluffmyFloppy software mentioned above. It has settings for ST, Amiga etc. It seems sensitive though and you can get errors which stops the disk booting. You need a good drive - preferrably an old DD - and good disks. I've tried several disks and had errors on each. Only through help here were my Oric disks salvagable. I had to have them convertedto Dsk for me and couldn't get the Hfe files working. I tried different Raw data types but it was no better.
Then there is the issue of HxC softrware that may or may not work to convert files. I think it does work for ST, so you can save Raw files adn then convert. But it seemed a bit too error-prone to spend much time on.
I've got a different PC and havent' got the software reinstalled on the new machine so haven't tried again recently.