C64OS .. and Exos ..

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

C64OS .. and Exos ..

Post by ibisum »

Nice review of C64OS by retro recipes, and as I'm sitting here, suitably impressed enough to be dusting off the ol' C64 and thinking about SD options, nevertheless I can't help feel there's nothing in this OS our Oric can't do:

The graphics/text screen switching seems .. doable?

Anyway, I know we've got ORIX and so on, on the horizon/already-running, but I think its *quite* fine to be comparing such OS options between the breadbox and our lovely Atmos', hehe ..

EDIT: oh yeah (cough cough) ContikiOS (cough cough)
Last edited by ibisum on Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: C64OS ..

Post by Dbug »

For the mouse, you can use the 8bit hub, that would already help a lot :)
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Agree on most parts, but the mouse pointer would be an issue. C64OS uses hardware sprites for the pointer and a software sprite for the Oric will be hard to combine with text mode.
Of course solvable by making a less nice one character pointer, but is less precise and nice.

You could do all in hires off course like the 8BitHub OS demo, but that would be WAY slower and more memory intensive.

Also I think the Oric serial attribute methodology would be a nightmare if you want to do this multicolour like C64OS.

So yes, possible I am sure, but almost for sure would look less nice and maybe only monochrome.

Other issue I see is that SD card storage like the C64OS is using is effectively only provided now on the Oric with the Twilighte board. Erebus is not interactive, and Cumana Reborn does not support direct SD card access and a single disk image is way too small for the OS and would require constant disk swapping.
So only see this viable with the Twilighte Board, so actually a UI extension to Orix would be best option.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Have bought C64OS by the way, so soon hope to have also hands on experience with it. Have a Commodore collection next to a.o. my Orics.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

That would actually be doable on the Exos :)
Basically use one HIRES overlay to draw things like the mouse cursor, and the others for the application!

@iss have you managed to convert the 4 motherboards I sent you into a working Exos system?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Dbug wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:21 am @iss have you managed to convert the 4 motherboards I sent you into a working Exos system?
Yep, I can send you back a working Exos.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

iss wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:00 am
Dbug wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:21 am @iss have you managed to convert the 4 motherboards I sent you into a working Exos system?
Yep, I can send you back a working Exos.
\o/
Now the question will be to see if I can get the Norwegian customs to not make me pay for my own machines :oops: .
ibisum
Wing Commander

Exos

Post by ibisum »

>Exos

I wonder what it would take to get EXOS done in FPGA, too .. the Oric core for Zilinx (ZX-UNO, etc.) seems to be suitably positioned for such an endeavor?