Oric Screen Editor: editor for creating Oric Atmos text screens

This is the best place to discuss about the various Oric operating systems like Sedoric, Randos, FT-Dos, and others, as well as serious software, utilities, word processors, disassemblers, etc... that runs on oric computers.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Oric Screen Editor: editor for creating Oric Atmos text screens

Post by xahmol »

Finally decided for a first release:

Oric Screen Editor
Screen editor for the Oric Atmos

Oric Screen Editor is an editor to create text based screens for the Oric Atmos. It fully supports using user defined character sets.

Main features of the program:
  • Support for screen maps larger than 40x25 characters. Screens can be up to 8 KiB (8.192 bytes), all sizes fitting in that memory with width of 40 at minimum and heigth of 27 at minimum are supported.
  • Supports resizing canvas size, clear or fill the canvas
  • Support for loading user defined charsets (should be standard charsets of 96 characters of 6 bits width and 8 bits height, alternate charsets of 80 characters or combined charsets of 176 characters).
  • Includes a simple character editor to change characters on the fly and directly see the result in your designed screen.
  • Supports the Oric serial atribites for ink, paper and character modifiers (standard vs alternate charset, double height, blink).
  • Write mode to freely type characters with the keyboard
  • Line and box mode for drawing lines and boxes
  • Select mode to cut, copy, delete or repaint (only color or all attributes) the selection.
  • Move mode to scroll the screen contents (due to memory constraints only for the 40x27 viewport)
  • Palette mode, including visual charmap mode, to visually select characters and colors
  • Favorite slots to quickly select 10 favorite characters
Requires a disk (emulation) system capable on running SEDORIC3 disks, program has been tested with a Cumama Reborn and Oricutron.

Downloads:
.DSK disk image
.HFE disk image

Full source code and manual / documentation at:
https://github.com/xahmol/OricScreenEditor

PDF version of manual:
https://github.com/xahmol/OricScreenEdi ... README.pdf

Demo videos:

HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Re: Oric Screen Editor: editor for creating Oric Atmos text screens

Post by HigashiJun »

Nice tool !

A new programme for our ORICs.

:D
HigashiJun
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Thanks for this!
Impressive menu / windows system, well done!
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Symoon wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:43 pm Impressive menu / windows system, well done!
Thanks! That part is actually not new, already used it in my last year Ludo release. Refined it a little bit to cope with the inability to use lines (as I want to avoid characters that the user might have redefined) and some other tweaks, but in essence still the system I had for the Commodore 128 in 1992 :D
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Really nice! Well done, and thank you!
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Thank you very very very much.

I put three "very" because this gift that you make to the community is useful in 3 different ways (at least for me):
- it's a wonderful wysiwyg tools to design, create and test screen.
- It's a wonderful example of how to use SEDORIC
- It's a wonderful example of how to create menu on Oric.

Provided open source with documentation. What else could we ask ..

Except ..

Are you sure you're not a developper in your real life ?
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Thanks jbperin, very nice words.

This is exactly why I have decided to make everything open source and not bother with any licensing, I know from personal experience that code by others is by far the best way to learn. Besides, this forum helped me so much in realising this that copyright of it should at least for also a large part be accredited to others here.
This utility has gotten so much better with the feedback from the Commodore as the Oric community.

And no, am not a developer by trade, but as IT auditor I work a lot with developers (of course they developers sometimes might feel that as an auditor I work against them, not with them, but luckily most see it as an honest way to improve and also to prioritise things that also rather would have done but did not get budget for).
But always had affinity for IT and code. If I would start all over I might have ended up as developer anyway. But think that my present job is more challenging, varied and also paying a lot better, Think also that there are many developers way more skilled than I am, less so in auditing.

But glad you have found a hobby to fill that part in me that always would have liked to go in coding.