OSDK 1.19

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Re: OSDK 1.19

Post by xahmol »

Am I again the one to point out that running Windows XP in 2022 is really not a good idea, unless you completely isolate it from anything on the rest of your network (and even then)?

If your PC is really that old that it does not run Windows 10 (must be old then, because even my 2011 PC is running Windows 10 fine), run Linux. Elsewhere in this forum is a thread on how to use OSDK under Linux.

There is a reason Microsoft dropped support on XP…..
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The main reason for keeping a Windows 9x/XP was to get a machine able to run WriteDSK to generate physical floppies, but that was before Cumulus, Cumana Reborn, HxC or Greaseweazle.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

xahmol wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:49 am Am I again the one to point out that running Windows XP in 2022 is really not a good idea, unless you completely isolate it from anything on the rest of your network (and even then)?
The way I see computing, is that tools are here to serve us, we're not here to serve tools. In this regard, until there is no other solution, I won't spend hours or weekends setting up tools in order to... Do the same (or less) things I'm doing now.

My XP computer is a small Asus Eeepc laptop I've been using for retro things since about 2010. Most importantly, it's also my Oric "tape" (wav) player since it has jacks input/output, which modern small laptops don't have anymore (probably for marketing/design matters). As a bonus, it still runs Euphoric natively => double-clic a TAP or DSK file, it runs with the emultaor. Love it!
Would modern laptops allow this, I would probably have changed since then. They don't. Although painful, I could live with Euphoric under DosBox, but not with extra hardware monopolizing an USB port and extra room, to have audio jacks which I'm constantly using.

I understand at some point XP support will be dropped (since we're not here to serve tools, coders included), but I really have no need/time for Linux right now. Maybe if I was retired, but so far I have other goals in life and need to sleep at night ;)
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

You do not need to do it for me, but an XP is that vulnerable that it can literally infect everything connected to the same network in seconds. Hence the ‘only use if isolated’ part. And you honestly can not blame Microsoft for not securing such an old OS to all new modern threats.
Things were much simpler in the 8 bits days…. No security to worry about.
(And will stop now. Sorry, telling people they really should not use Windows XP, or also Windows 8 for that matter, is my daytime job)