Royalty Free Musics for your Oric Games

Probably the most technical forum around. It does not have to be coding related, or assembly code only. Just talk about how you can use the AY chip to do cool sounding things :)
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Royalty Free Musics for your Oric Games

Post by jbperin »

Please find attached here below three music that you can freely use in your Oric game.

License free and nNo authoring mention is required to use them (you're even strongly invited not to mention who you got them from :? )

I post them in .zip file because the forum doesn't allow to attach YM file .. but they actually are YM file that you can convert with ym2mym and transform in buffer with header in order to have them played with the mymplayer

These are 16 bars long music at tempo 120.
RFM_01_CMaj_I_VI_II_V.zip
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
RFM_02_FMaj_I_IV_V_I.zip
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
RFM_03_DMaj_I_IV_V_IV.zip
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

PS: Just an advice .. If you plan to use these music, don't forget to add an easily accessible "Music Off" feature in your game .. or some Orics are going to fly through windows.
iss
Wing Commander

Re: Royalty Free Musics for your Oric Games

Post by iss »

jbperin wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:19 am License free and no authoring mention is required to use them ...
Thanks! Just wondering who's OSME? :D
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Great! Has anyone rendered these yet, so we can listen without assembly?
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

iss wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:32 am Thanks! Just wondering who's OSME? :D
OSME stands for Oric Sound and Music Engine.

It is one of my fantasy project of creating an automatic music generation system on Oric.

The idea is that, instead of loading pre-encoded music and have them played by an embedded player, the Oric could generate the music on the fly.

Expected benefits are:
  • Lower the memory fingerprints of music in game (a music generator could occupy less space than music data + music player)
  • Make the music possibly adapt to game context (generating music rather then playing it could allow to change it dynamically (changing tempo, rhythm, harmony) to create more stressing or relaxing music .. depending on the game situation)
The music provided above are result of my first python prototype that I use to test and elaborate algorithms.
It generates YM files from:
  • a random number generator,
  • some basic harmonic rules and a bunch of predefined cadences
  • Euclidean Rhythm generator
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

ibisum wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:46 am Great! Has anyone rendered these yet, so we can listen without assembly?
I personally use the YM player for PC STSOUND to listen to YM files (was recommanded by Dbug).

I think it allows to render wav files so I'll try to render some files if I manage to get some interesting result.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Ay_Emul works too.
And congrats :!: The files sound really well and (imho) they are ready for background music of an adventure game.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I added YM and MYM formats to the forum attachment list of approved extensions.
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

iss wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:32 pm Ay_Emul works too.
And congrats :!: The files sound really well and (imho) they are ready for background music of an adventure game.
Thank you Iss, I'm exactly wanting to have an easy and cheap way to get background music for games.
I think I need to enhance the sound variety in the produced music. For now I only use basic sound .. I'd like to experiment with some more elaborated sounds (using noise modulation). But it's not so that easy.
Dbug wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:50 pm I added YM and MYM formats to the forum attachment list of approved extensions.
So let me be the first one to post an YM file here. :D
Here's a test of an arpeggiator implementation.
RFM_04_BMaj_I_VI_II_V.ym
(25.1 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
ibisum wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:46 am Great! Has anyone rendered these yet, so we can listen without assembly?
Here's an mp3 rendering of the file using the arpegiator.
RFM_04_BMaj_I_VI_II_V.mp3
(751.22 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
and a render of one of the previous file:
RFM_01_CMaj_I_VI_II_V.mp3
(379.59 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Keep in mind that these are generated music. It is not supposed to become a hit .. It aims at providing background music with very limited memory consumption.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Keep in mind that these are generated music. It is not supposed to become a hit .. It aims at providing background music with very limited memory consumption.
Fun little ditties nevertheless... ;). Thanks for rendering!
rax
Flying Officer

Post by rax »

Unbelievable! Nice job! The tracks sound good. I think they are pretty good for home screen and/or menus (sounds like that to me)

It's really interesting if ORIC can dynamically generate music.

I had an idea to look for tools that automatically generate some music, but I never found anything that could be used.
For me, music and sounds is a big problem, so I still have unfinished things that are only missing music.