wordsworth to pc

This is the best place to discuss about the various Oric operating systems like Sedoric, Randos, FT-Dos, and others, as well as serious software, utilities, word processors, disassemblers, etc... that runs on oric computers.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Re: wordsworth to pc

Post by Steve M »

Symoon wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:37 pm Savedisk won't work with Opelco I suppose.
And if you don't want a Gotek...

Then plugging your floppy drives on your PC (assuming it's old enough to have a FDC on the motherboard) and using readdsk might be your best luck.
See http://romualdl.oric.org/oric2pc/oric2pc.html
A Win10 machine won't have a floppy interface. You either need an older Win98 PC with floppy interface or a USB floppy interface for the Win10 PC, like the Greasweazle.
If you get an old PC you can run Euphoric (Oric emulator) and read or write disks with the DOS utilities. You can connect a 3.5" drive to the Opel and copy 3" to 3.5" using Sedoric and then read the 3.5" floppies on a PC. Otherwise you have to connect the 3" floppy directly to the PC.

As older PCs are getting a bit unreliable and Win98 laptops hard to find or overpriced, an USB interface to connect a floppy drive is easier/ cheaper.
You'll need a power supply for a 3" the drive, which makes things a bit trickier. (A 3.5" drive can be powered from the USB device.) So you'd either need to get hold of a power supply and interface or a 3.5" drive and interface. (Or an old PC.)
hutch
Officer Cadet

Post by hutch »

Steve M wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:37 am It didn't work initially but I believe it does now.

Other option is to use a Greasweazle which allows you to connect a floppy drive (not the whole Microdisc) to PC via USB. You can read the disk and make Hfe file. Then convert that to Oric.Dsk using the above (HxC) software.

(You'll need Oric emulator software to run the oric.dsk. )
where can i get a greaseweasle plz?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Link to Purchase a Greaseweazle.
Main Greaseweazle repository - good point to start reading.
It's not too complicated but can be bit confusing on first meet.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Thanks. I just bought one, hoping it will help me reading, or at least seeing the state of the old floppy disks I bought years ago.

I wonder if a tool could be done, that would allow watching the content of a disk and the corresponding surface transitions, so they could be manually modified to try and correct the content.
I mean, it sure would be complicated (because of the disk structure and all is added to the information) but I saved a few tapes this way, by manually modifying the WAV file after locating where the error probably was and looking at the waveform.

Anyway, I'm drifting away from the original topic, sorry.
hutch
Officer Cadet

Post by hutch »

iss wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:59 pm Link to Purchase a Greaseweazle.
Main Greaseweazle repository - good point to start reading.
It's not too complicated but can be bit confusing on first meet.
thankyou
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

(Also find them on Facebook where you can ask questions if you have any problems.)

I recommend using this software to make things a bit easier.
https://github.com/FrankieTheFluff/FluxMyFluffyFloppy