wordsworth to pc

This is the best place to discuss about the various Oric operating systems like Sedoric, Randos, FT-Dos, and others, as well as serious software, utilities, word processors, disassemblers, etc... that runs on oric computers.
hutch
Officer Cadet

wordsworth to pc

Post by hutch »

hi guys,

is there a way to transfer files from wordsworth (sedoric) to pc?
iss
Wing Commander

Re: wordsworth to pc

Post by iss »

This one can be downloaded from oric.orc.

EDIT: I didn't get the question :oops: Where are your data files on real floppy disks or in DSK images?
Last edited by iss on Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I think on Euphoric you could print something which would produce a text output. You could then copy the text into whatever word processor you wanted to use on the PC.
I don't recall what sort of printer output there is with Oricutron ? But possible something similar?
hutch
Officer Cadet

Post by hutch »

iss wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:33 pm This one can be downloaded from oric.orc.

EDIT: I didn't get the question :oops: Where are your data files on real floppy disks or in DSK images?
hi iss,

yes it is on a real 3" floppy....that is a wordworth disc
hutch
Officer Cadet

Post by hutch »

Steve M wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:45 pm I think on Euphoric you could print something which would produce a text output. You could then copy the text into whatever word processor you wanted to use on the PC.
I don't recall what sort of printer output there is with Oricutron ? But possible something similar?
thx for reply steve...yes i do recall now there is a command to output text in sedoric - will have to look it up...as i said to iss it is on a real 3" wordworth disc
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

If you have a working Microdisc system and your 3" floppy works, technically you can attach a second drive to the machine, which in this case could be a Gotek or HxC floppy emulator device.

Using Sedoric commands, you can copy the A- (real 3" disk) to the B- drive (a HFE file on a USB stick), and then access the USB stick on the PC.

Example of what I did on my own disk unit: https://blog.defence-force.org/index.ph ... T67#title6
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

If you have a PC which can record your Oric tape output, you also can try my old Savedisk tool which will make a .DSK file for emulators, by saving your Oric disk via the tape port, juste like any tape, and re-creating the DSK file on PC.
http://mercenarysite.free.fr/oric/savedisk.zip

But it also requires an Oric which can operate tape while a disk drive is plugged, and there aren't that many it seems!
hutch
Officer Cadet

Post by hutch »

thanks for replies everyone...alas i dont have a gotek, just the (im told opelco interface) and 3" ,31/2 " and 5 1/4" drives.

maybe using writedsk to a dos machine, then oricutron to get it on my win 10 machine???
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Savedisk won't work with Opelco I suppose.
And if you don't want a Gotek...

Then plugging your floppy drives on your PC (assuming it's old enough to have a FDC on the motherboard) and using readdsk might be your best luck.
See http://romualdl.oric.org/oric2pc/oric2pc.html
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

hutch wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:08 pm alas i dont have a gotek, just the (im told opelco interface) and 3" ,31/2 " and 5 1/4" drives.
These things now are quite cheap, you can find some at like less than 20 euros, depending of the options, and they are very practical to have around because they are compatible with pretty much any computer you may have that supports floppy disks :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:39 am These things now are quite cheap, you can find some at like less than 20 euros, depending of the options, and they are very practical to have around because they are compatible with pretty much any computer you may have that supports floppy disks :)
Is there a way to extract any file from the HFE disk image to put it on a PC now?
I'm really lost with this format.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:40 am
Dbug wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:39 am These things now are quite cheap, you can find some at like less than 20 euros, depending of the options, and they are very practical to have around because they are compatible with pretty much any computer you may have that supports floppy disks :)
Is there a way to extract any file from the HFE disk image to put it on a PC now?
I'm really lost with this format.
It's recent, it was introduced in the version 2.5.5.1 of the conversion tool:
31 December 2020 : HxCFloppyEmulator 2.5.5.1

-> New hardware support introduced : Pauline ! The ultimate stream based floppy drive simulator / floppy dumper :)
Pauline control and real time stream viewer window added.

-> macOS : CAPSlib loader added (IPF, CTRAW...). (Windows/Linux/macOS CAPSlib loaders code merged)

-> macOS : macOS Big Sur support fixed.

-> New Loader/Writer : HxC Quickdisk images.

-> New Writer : Oric DSK images ("MFM_DISK" format).
image_2022-07-07_131532808.png
Basically to go from DSK to HFE, you drag and drop a DSK on the UI, and you Export to HFE, and to go from HFE to DSK you do the opposite, selecting the Oric DSK file in the export options.
image_2022-07-07_131714809.png
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Thanks.
I had in mind that the resulting DSK file worked with Euphoric but not Oricutron, or the other way round.
Good if it works fine now :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Oh I can't guarantee it works perfectly in all cases, I did not do much testing, but the source code for the tool is available, so if there is a problem we can actually look at the code and suggest fixes.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

It didn't work initially but I believe it does now.

Other option is to use a Greasweazle which allows you to connect a floppy drive (not the whole Microdisc) to PC via USB. You can read the disk and make Hfe file. Then convert that to Oric.Dsk using the above (HxC) software.

(You'll need Oric emulator software to run the oric.dsk. )