The IT Crowd's Atmos

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
robcook
Flying Officer

The IT Crowd's Atmos

Post by robcook »

I see Dbug has already commented :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: The IT Crowd's Atmos

Post by ibisum »

Wow, one of the coolest Oric videos so far .. Rich with content. Sure seems like we're on the ascendancy with Oric these days..
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

So that's where it ended up. Why didn't the computer go back to the computer museum? Oh well it looks like it's in good hands.

He just needs to get some proper software!

I see the meme about the Oric-1 having a bad keyboard is spreading. It really isn't as bad as some make it out to be. The spacing of the keys helps, and the feel is more positive than a lot of laptops these days. I should start a Oric-1 fan club !
Last edited by Steve M on Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

It didn't go back to the museum because the museum put it for auction for charity.

I agree about the keyboard - I still think it's one of the better solutions.
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

Steve M wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:31 am I see the meme about the Oric-1 having a bad keyboard is spreading.
Definitely better than the rubbery horror of the Spectrum keyboard (replicated on other things, such as some BOSS Synths) :)

In the YouTube video, the "faulty regulator" seemed actually okay to me, the "3.9v" output was caused by mis-measuring the 7*9*05 regulator as if it was a 7*8*05 (Look at the probe swap-over, he seemed to do middle pin to top, middle to bottom, assuming the middle to be common. On a 7905, it's not).

So he actually measured the drop across the regulator (3.9v), and the input voltage (8.9v). Which would make the output 5v :)

Fortunately he caught this before replacing it with a DC-DC module of completely the wrong type.

He also said he removed the speaker to get to record the audio from it. I guess he missed that the audio output is at the cassette port (pins 4,5) from not having/reading the manual. But also, the speaker could stay in, if you are just going to leech off the signal!
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I agree about the Oric-1's keyboard. Certainly the Atmoa has one of the best, if not the best, keyboards of classic computers noth 8 and 16 bit, but the keyboard of the Prix 1 was quite good. You could type quite quickly with it. It was responsive, with good spacing between keys.

I think those that criticize it is because they did not have one, or they tried it after working with an Atmos.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Chema wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:02 am (...) Atmoa (...) noth (...) Prix 1 (...)
Hmm, looks like you typed this on a Prix 1!

:D
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

As someone who's been forced to use dictation for the last week, I applaud these typos.:)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Dbug wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:03 am
Chema wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:02 am (...) Atmoa (...) noth (...) Prix 1 (...)
Hmm, looks like you typed this on a Prix 1!

:D
What the....??? Yeah, I used my phone, which for some reason, likes to change the default dictionary and gives me such surprises...

And I am getting old XD
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

ibisum wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:13 pm As someone who's been forced to use dictation for the last week, I applaud these typos.:)
I was tempted to edit them, but both answers are quite hilarious, so let's have them for the sake of fun :D
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I generally edit messages when the content is hard to understand or would make it hard to find the message with the search engine, but since that was about keyboards I left them as they were :D
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Oric atmos from it crowd is alıve :)

Post by peacer »

A guy bought the Oric atmos used in tv series "The It crowd" and worked on it for succesful run and published it with a nice video

[
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Oric atmos from it crowd is alıve :)

Post by jbperin »

Very interesting .. thank you for sharing. :D
Symoon
Archivist

Re: Oric atmos from it crowd is alıve :)

Post by Symoon »

https://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?t=2103
:)

Interestingly, the Atmos was provided by the same museum where Ibisum's friend Marc kindly went to make a recording of Zorgons' Revenge demo tape for us.

https://forum.defence-force.org/viewtop ... =20&t=1974
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Thanks Symoon, I merged the topics.