emul8D-ESP32VGA - new Oric [raxiss]

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
iss
Wing Commander

emul8D-ESP32VGA - new Oric [raxiss]

Post by iss »

22-02-2022: The world's smallest #Oric emulator is fact!
Runs on ESP32-WROOM-32 with ESP32VGA library and emul8D as backend emulator.

This work is in very early stage but opens (almost) unlimited possibilities: ESP32 has 2 cores @240 MHz, WiFi, bluetooth and many free I/O pins. I will post the progress.

Here is what it is:
20220223_001059.jpg
ESP32 dev-board, VGA and USB cables and any power adapter 5V or it can be powered directly from the TV's USB (available on most LCD-TV).

PS: Sorry for the video quality ;).
darkmiky
Private

Re: emul8D-ESP32VGA - new Oric [raxiss]

Post by darkmiky »

Really interresting, i follow the project
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I have a TTGO-WATCH, shall I try to build this for it? The idea of having an Oric on my wrist is *highly* appealing .. ;)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

ibisum wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:44 am I have a TTGO-WATCH, shall I try to build this for it? The idea of having an Oric on my wrist is *highly* appealing .. ;)
It will work fine with all devices which have an ESP32 module. :)
For now it's only Proof-Of-Concept and needs lot of optimizations to become really usable emulator.
I need to check all possible back-ends - this is the emulator engine - it turned out that our humble Oric has LOT emulators available which can be used (not directly but as idea and knowledge base). Next, for every particular device should be made specific front-end to support:
- video output : VGA, COMPOSITE, many LCD's (res. >= 240x224);
- audio output : line-out, mini buzzer, speaker, etc;
- keyboard/mouse/joystick: PS/2, USB (not sure), Bluetooth, WiFi or something elee.
Additionally basic OTA firmware update and software download from WiFi;
... let's stop here but just imagine how large such project can be and what are the possibilities :)