Parallel port MIDI interface

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Parallel port MIDI interface

Post by Dbug »

Well, at least now I know that the interface works fine, I tested it on a retro PC with satisfactory results.

Did not even have to use the optional +9VDC connector, the parallel port power delivery was apparently sufficient.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

The problem you'll have with these devices on the ORIC printer port is indeed missing signals like BUSY.
On PC the standard port (uni-directional) was only meant to use the 8 data bits for output, so devices had to use those other signals to send back data in nibbles. This won't work at all on ORIC.
Later on, other modes were added for faster bi-directional communication, to plug all things non-printers that should have used SCSI except that it would be too expensive, like zip drives.
I fear they all use all existing lines as much possible too, so are probably not directly usable either.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

mmu_man wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:05 pm The problem you'll have with these devices on the ORIC printer port is indeed missing signals like BUSY.
On PC the standard port (uni-directional) was only meant to use the 8 data bits for output, so devices had to use those other signals to send back data in nibbles. This won't work at all on ORIC.
Yeah, and the same issue on the Atari ST, they both use the YM chip as a 8bit interface, but with missing signals as well.

I wonder how difficult it would be to build a proper parallel port connector as a bus expansion, with say a few registers in page 3, to send and receive data and check status?
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Dbug wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:37 am I wonder how difficult it would be to build a proper parallel port connector as a bus expansion, with say a few registers in page 3, to send and receive data and check status?
Probably not much, some of the chips used in the old PCs could probably interface with the bus. Now how many interfaces would you want to plug on this that could be redone directly on the bus or over actual parallel port?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Now how many interfaces would you want to plug on this that could be redone directly on the bus or over actual parallel port?
Well, the MIDI interface would be easy to do directly as an Oric card, there were schematics for that.

I was more thinking of driving the scanner or possibly the black and white camera from the Oric, just for the fun.

I know that would work, because a guy did it on the Apple II :)
http://schmenk.is-a-geek.com/wordpress/?p=4
http://schmenk.is-a-geek.com/wordpress/?p=17
image_2022-01-25_160758.png
image_2022-01-25_160758.png (9.09 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
image_2022-01-25_160749.png
image_2022-01-25_160749.png (8.61 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Hey, guys ..

Why not add MIDI to the Oric by using an Arduino approach, and use the same technique that the 8-bit Hub uses, writing/reading the Oric's pins on an interrupt .. this way we get Read/Write from the Oric to a somewhere .. saner .. environment. MIDI on Arduino is a no-brainer, btw.

See for example the Arduino code here:

Code: Select all

////////////////////////////////
//     ORIC Communication     //
////////////////////////////////

void oricRead() {
    // Setup pins for input
    DDRG &= ~_BV(PG5);   // Pin 4
    DDRE &= ~_BV(PE3);   // Pin 5
    DDRH &= ~_BV(PH3);   // Pin 6
    DDRH &= ~_BV(PH4);   // Pin 7

// Read 4 bits from computer      
    inByte |= ((PING & _BV(PG5))>0) << (interruptOffset++); 
    inByte |= ((PINE & _BV(PE3))>0) << (interruptOffset++); 
    inByte |= ((PINH & _BV(PH3))>0) << (interruptOffset++); 
    inByte |= ((PINH & _BV(PH4))>0) << (interruptOffset++);    
}

void oricWrite() {
    // Setup pins for output
    DDRG |= _BV(PG5);   // Pin 4
    DDRE |= _BV(PE3);   // Pin 5
    DDRH |= _BV(PH3);   // Pin 6
    DDRH |= _BV(PH4);   // Pin 7

// Write 4 bits to computer      
    if (outByte & (1 << interruptOffset++)) { PORTG |= _BV(PG5); } else { PORTG &= ~_BV(PG5); }
    if (outByte & (1 << interruptOffset++)) { PORTE |= _BV(PE3); } else { PORTE &= ~_BV(PE3); }
    if (outByte & (1 << interruptOffset++)) { PORTH |= _BV(PH3); } else { PORTH &= ~_BV(PH3); }
    if (outByte & (1 << interruptOffset++)) { PORTH |= _BV(PH4); } else { PORTH &= ~_BV(PH4); }
}

void oricInterrupt() {
    // Check ready pin (PC)
    if (!(PINH & _BV(PH1))) {
        // Setup pins for input
        DDRG &= ~_BV(PG5);   // Pin 4
        DDRE &= ~_BV(PE3);   // Pin 5
        DDRH &= ~_BV(PH3);   // Pin 6
        DDRH &= ~_BV(PH4);   // Pin 7
        return;   
    }

// Check R/W pin
    if (!(PINH & _BV(PH0))) {
        oricRead();
        interruptMode = 1;
    } else {
        oricWrite();
        interruptMode = 0;
    }

// Cycle ACKNOW pin (HUB)
    PORTE &= ~_BV(PE4);      // Pin 2 LOW
    delayMicroseconds(10);   
    PORTE |=  _BV(PE4);      // Pin 2 HIGH     

// If byte complete?
    if (interruptOffset < 8) {
        // Update timer
        interruptTimer = millis();  
    } else {              
        // Reset offset/timer 
        interruptOffset = 0;

// Process data
        if (interruptMode) {
            processByte();
            inByte = 0;
        #ifdef __DEBUG_IO__  
            inRec++;         
        #endif          
        } else {
            outByte = comOutBuffer[++comOutInd];
        #ifdef __DEBUG_IO__  
            outRec++;         
        #endif          
        }
    }      
}

(From the 8-bit Hub repo here: https://github.com/8bit-Dude/8bit-Hub/b ... ga2560.ino)

EDIT: I realise this may be a project where you just want to see what you can do to get the PC/P working .. but even still, putting an Arduino between the two, to do the logic conversion, isn't cheating *that* much. ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Yeah for midi that would probably work, because there's not much data to send.

That being said, as your suspected, the idea was to try a bunch of different devices (like scanners and cameras), in which case doing it like on the 8bit hub through the Oric parallel port - implies going through the VIA - is not super efficient.

Would it work to have the Arduino connected on the expansion bus, doing the Oric<->Arduino through some mapped registers somewhere, and then have the Arduino somewhat drive a parallel port connector?

I've no idea how many pins these things have, are there enough i/o to drive both a DB25 on one side and talk to the Oric on the other side?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I think Fabrice already made a midi interface for Atmos around 2005?
Not sure where to find information about it thought (maybe CEO-Mag if he wrote an article about it).
Last edited by Symoon on Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

It could be easier to add an external VIA (6522), addressed at #3F00 to #3FF for example.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:24 am I think Fabrice already made a midi interface for Atmos around 2005?
Not sure where to find information about it thought (maybe CEO-Mag if he wrote an article about it).
Well, if you refer to this thing, I never managed to get it working, possibly because of dead solder or something:

https://forum.defence-force.org/viewtop ... f=9&t=1793
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Mmmmh I don't think that's it.
I think it was demoed during a CEO meeting, but it was a full-day one and I missed the morning demos, thinking it was only the afternoon!

See there:
https://www.oric.org/magazine/ceomag-183.html#
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:45 am Mmmmh I don't think that's it.
I think it was demoed during a CEO meeting, but it was a full-day one and I missed the morning demos, thinking it was only the afternoon!

See there:
https://www.oric.org/magazine/ceomag-183.html#
Maybe that was based on André's card, as indicated page 8 of issue 177?
Logiciel Midi/Karaoke pour Oric
par Fabrice Francès

The Karaoke software for Oric is available at <http://oric.free.fr/DISKS/karaoke.zip>. So, if you want to prepare
the upcoming winter evenings, you must build a midi interface, or modify your Telestrat!
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This program requires a hardware MIDI interface on your Atmos or Telestrat. Oric emulators don’t currently
emulate MIDI interfaces, so this program is only intended for real Oric. If you do a small modification of your
Telestrat (see CEO-MAG #176, Dec 2004), or build a MIDI interface for your Atmos (see for example <http:/
/www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/oricmidi>), and have a MIDI device (synthesizer or expander) connected to your
interface, then you have all what is required to have fun and impress your friends with Oric Karaoke evenings!