Castoric : Raycasting on Oric computers

Since we do not have native C compilers on the Oric, this forum will be mostly be used by people using CC65 or the OSDK. But any general C related post will be welcome !
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Castoric : Raycasting on Oric computers

Post by jbperin »

Hi all,

Here, at Oric Software Studios, we are very very very very glad today to give birth to the very first (as far as I know) open source ray casting library for Oric computers.

CASTORIC

We are glad because:
  • This library is totally open source so that any Oric developer can use it in its own game production.
    We just invite game makers to name the library in order to promote its usage.
  • This library is innovative:
    The raycasting algorithms that are used are not just rewriting of former 16 bits solutions written in the 90's for PCs and just smartly ported to 8 bits computers. This is a real 8 bits designed solution which has been exactly dimensioned to best fit Oric's computers capabilities. All mathematics behind raycasting principle was rethought from scatch in order to match 8bits machine capabilities.
  • This library is 100% Oric and is insanely fast:
    Thank to this library, it is possible, with production line Oric, to provide 8bits retro-gamers with unprecedented game experience. No need for external GPUs or extension to provide the gamer with an astonishingly immersive and realistic 3D game experience. C64 and Apple II c gamers are getting jealous of Oric's owners !!

Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Castoric : Raycasting on Oric computers

Post by Dbug »

I'm not sure who owns https://github.com/oric-software but it makes me sad to see all these projects cloned without any attribution: Oricium, Player Mym, Nyan Cat, etc...

I don't have any problem with people cloning repositories, if they need to do changes to make stuff work on their system, but please, pretty please, always start by giving attribution to the authors, not doing that is just not nice at all.

Regarding Castoric, the page is lacking screenshots, demos of how the whole thing looks like, and simple to use sample code.

xahmol
Flying Officer

Post by xahmol »

Well done and congratulations on release!
Not the genre I can and like to build, but very curious what others can do with it.

Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Great! I will have to give this a look in deep!
Dbug wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:20 pm
I'm not sure who owns https://github.com/oric-software but it makes me sad to see all these projects cloned without any attribution: Oricium, Player Mym, Nyan Cat, etc...
I think Jede owns this one... maybe to patch things so they load with orix or something like that

jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Sorry, I had forgotten to merge the develop branch into the main branch.

So now sources in main branch are up to date.

Sorry for the mistake.

Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The discussion about the CEO github has been split to a new topic: https://forum.defence-force.org/viewtop ... =23&t=2257

Sorry for the off-topic JiBé!

jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Recent pushes on main branch:

- Bug fix in viewport resizing: Some lookup table were not properly generated when viewport size was changed.

- Configurable color for ground and sky: The color of sky and ground are now patchable so that it's possible to change the atmosphere of a scene by acting on the sky and ground color

- Generic collision detection: the ray casting engine now incorporates a function which deals with collision detection based on scene data. The game developpers is provided with a function isInWall(X, Y) which indicates if a position is occupied by a wall or not and it is based on current scene data (if walls move along time, the collision detection adapts at each frame :-)).

I thought that such a brut force approach would badly affect the performance but it turns out that it is not so that perceptible.
Oric computer are definitely some very powerful machines.

The following little screencap shows how it behaves.
teaser.gif
teaser.gif (366.58 KiB) Viewed 1237 times