Volume control options on an Oric 1

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
Lardo Boffin
1st Star Corporal

Volume control options on an Oric 1

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Apologies if this has been asked before (newbie here!) but what are the volume control options for the internal speaker? Mine is ridiculously loud!

I guess an obvious one would be to fit a resistor in an appropriate place to permanently limit the volume (to a more family friendly level) and I have seen a mod on here to fit a proper volume control. Are there any others?

In an Acorn Electron I have disconnected the input to the RF modulator and connected the speaker feed to it (https://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic ... ron+volume) basically using the modulator as a socket only. This output then can go to the TV etc. and so has proper volume control! The internal speaker no longer works as it is not connected.

Would similar be possible in an Oric?

Thanks!
Chema
Game master

Re: Volume control options on an Oric 1

Post by Chema »

The Oric has an audio out signal on one of its DIN connectors that could be fed to an external system. But that won't disable the internal speaker. You will have to disconnect it internally.

Some users put a volume control on their Orics (the instructions are somewhere) but I hate to cut through the computer's case...
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

On the DIN connector , pinout 4 or 5 we can connect a potentiometer linked to the ground pinout 2, that will attenuate the sound signal to the hp amplifier, that may avoid to demount the computer. :wink:
Lardo Boffin
1st Star Corporal

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Thanks both. An ideal solution would be to simply disconnect the internal speaker and run a cable to a hifi or maybe set of powered PC speakers.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

There are various options. You can change a resistor which affects the volume. (find some info in Mike Brown's repair guide.)
I would have thought a pot (variable resistor ) might be useful?

You can fit a jack socket for external sound and sever the speaker connection so then you have a controllable volume. It makes sense to fit a switch so you can restore the onboard sound.

And you can fit a pot on the speaker line so that you can adjust the volume level.

The main thing is it hide away any mods leaving the Oric facia intact. You'll find details of how sound modification in my twin ROM and Sound mod articles. http://www.48katmos.freeuk.com/projects.htm
(Which owes much to articles in CEO and by Dave Wilkin IIRC)