Hello from Bristol

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Xeron
Emulation expert

Re: Hello from Bristol

Post by Xeron »

I love Bristol. A wonderful city.

I stopped commuting to Bath about 10 years ago (my commute now outside of covid times is a drive up the M5 to Bristol). That train journey gave me a couple of hours a day to quietly get on with my programming projects (this was before smartphones with decent Internet or WiFi on trains)
Kon
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Kon »

I'm delighted to see such love for Bristol and to discover the role of Great Western Railways in the Oriculator!

When lockdown ends, we can all meet up in Bristol for an Oricbash + cider! 8)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I think Bristol is a fascinating place, and the region around it is full of interesting things to see and do .. last time I was around Weston-super-Mare, they'd just started clearing the spot for Banksy's dystopia theme park, which is something I wish I'd been late enough to see.

Having taken that train a few times, I can see how it would have inspired a bit of code. Its a pretty commanding view from that train .. a lot of obnoxious British pub lads, though.
Kon
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Kon »

ibisum wrote: a lot of obnoxious British pub lads, though.
I feel seen... :oops:

Actually I'm usually the one hiding behind a book at the back of the train :!:
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Kon wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:42 pm When lockdown ends, we can all meet up in Bristol for an Oricbash + cider! 8)
Or just set up an oric corner at the south west amiga group meetings :D
Kon
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Kon »

oric erebus.png
The Erebus has arrived for my Oric Atmos!

It came preloaded with a few TAP files -- including a side-scroller called Krillys, pictured here!

And I had a go at Scuba Dive. I didn't realise it was originally made for the Oric and then adapted for the Spectrum!

What are your suggestions of nice pieces of Oric software to explore? Particularly interested in anything Oric-specific that is not as well known on other platforms.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Krillys and Scuba Dive are quite good.
I guess it depends on what sort of games you like. Defence Force, The Hellion, The Ultra, Xenon-1 and Oricium for shoot em ups.
I like Psychiatric, Doggy, Rabbit, Cock In.
There's things like Manic Miner.

I've got some (NOS) tapes if you're interested.
(Send me a PM and I'll give you a list. )
Mustangus
Officer Cadet

Post by Mustangus »

Hope you are enjoying the Erebus. :)
ThomH
Flying Officer

Post by ThomH »

Kon wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:17 pm What are your suggestions of nice pieces of Oric software to explore? Particularly interested in anything Oric-specific that is not as well known on other platforms.
Don't Press the Letter Q!

For which, thanks to the current slate of nutjobs, you'll get maybe a couple of relevant search results before things get decidedly, ummm, 'political'. But it's essentially a frantic mini-game compilation with a sense of humour. I guess something like WarioWare is as close as the world still gets to the same genre.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

ThomH wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:13 pm Don't Press the Letter Q!
I second that!
Also the classic Zorgons Revenge (watch for the doc for space level keys), or Zebbie.

Also lots of adventure games, and 21th century games in TAP format (especially from Twilighte or Raxiss, many other recent releases being more floppy-drive based).
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

The top 100 software list on oric.org really provides a great election of Oric eccentricity. My favourites as an original owner were The Ultra, Xenon-1, Hunchback .. but don't forget, there are 21st century games too, and if you are a newcomer to Oric, you may not yet know about SPACE:1999, and the rest of the gems: https://www.defence-force.org/index.php?page=games

(EDIT: Africa is another underrated gem: https://www.oric.org/software/africa-1037.html)
Last edited by ibisum on Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

ibisum wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:52 pm The top 100 software list on oric.org really provides a great election of Oric eccentricity. My favourites as an original owner were The Ultra, Xenon-1, Hunchback .. but don't forget, there are 21st century games too, and if you are a newcomer to Oric, you may not yet know about SPACE:1999, and the rest of the gems: https://www.defence-force.org/index.php?page=games
I believe he only has a Erebus, he can't run disk based games
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Dbug wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:55 pm I believe he only has a Erebus, he can't run disk based games
Ah, I skipped that point, but okay, there are a lot of .TAP games in the top 100 too ..
Kon
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Kon »

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! :D

I've had a busy couple of weeks at my day job, so haven't seen the latest replies until today. But this week is a little less busy, and I'm looking forward to firing up the Atmos again and playing some of these games
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Kon wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:35 pm looking forward to firing up the Atmos again and playing some of these games
As a warmup before gaming all these marvels, perhaps you could try the tap file provided here:
https://forum.defence-force.org/viewto ... 713#p24713

It's not a game. It's rather a tech demo. But the technology exposed in this tap can be used on next gen games on Oric.