Oric on VGA monitors

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Re: Oric on VGA monitors

Post by HigashiJun »

Ok, so I have received the Sync Striker today and it does not seem to work with the Oric.

When powered by an Oric SCART, the led on the Sync Striker does not light and there is of course nothing on the VGA monitor screen. :(

When powered by an external 5V PSU, the LED does light but there is still nothing on the screen. :( :(

Could the Retro Computer Shack cable be the culprit, although it works flawlessly on my TV (see https://forum.defence-force.org/viewtop ... f=8&t=1730) ?

I will have to check this device with my other vintage computers when time allows.
HigashiJun
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

@HigashiJun, @Symoon: What models are your 15 kHz compatible VGA monitors?
Oric outputs the CSYNC signal as negative pulses - are the Sync Striker output HSYNC/VSYNC compatible with the monitor requirements?

Else thanks to this thread, I recall that I should have some old VGA monitors buried somewhere in the attic and today I found them.
Both are 17" - a Philips 170C and an Acer AL1714. Unfortunately they don't support 15 kHz :(., but I decided to make them usable with Oric.

I used a cheap AV2VGA converter slightly modified:
20210115_192105.jpg
... and mounted in place of the UHF modulator:
20210116_122358.jpg
Here is the result:

The colors are awful but black/white pictures or texts are stable absolutely acceptable! :)
I'm using this Oric board for tests with the tape I/O so I'm happy with the result and the old monitors will have new life.

About the AV2VGA converter: Honestly I can't recommended it. It's cheap (~4$) and the quality of the board and the soldering is ... low like the price :?
The biggest problem is that the chip AV775C gets very hot - to fix this you need to apply some solder at the bottom side - there is a big pad which purpose is exactly to be like heat-sink :).

The test program is attached, it draws on screen and then waaaaits, so be patient. :)
Attachments
test-video.tap.zip
(2.92 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

iss wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:50 am @HigashiJun, @Symoon: What models are your 15 kHz compatible VGA monitors?
Oric outputs the CSYNC signal as negative pulses - are the Sync Striker output HSYNC/VSYNC compatible with the monitor requirements?

Else thanks to this thread, I recall that I should have some old VGA monitors buried somewhere in the attic and today I found them.
Both are 17" - a Philips 170C and an Acer AL1714. Unfortunately they don't support 15 kHz :(., but I decided to make them usable with Oric.

I used a cheap AV2VGA converter slightly modified:
20210115_192105.jpg

... and mounted in place of the UHF modulator:
20210116_122358.jpg

Here is the result:

The colors are awful but black/white pictures or texts are stable absolutely acceptable! :)
I'm using this Oric board for tests with the tape I/O so I'm happy with the result and the old monitors will have new life.

About the AV2VGA converter: Honestly I can't recommended it. It's cheap (~4$) and the quality of the board and the soldering is ... low like the price :?
The biggest problem is that the chip AV775C gets very hot - to fix this you need to apply some solder at the bottom side - there is a big pad which purpose is exactly to be like heat-sink :).

The test program is attached, it draws on screen and then waaaaits, so be patient. :)
Hello iss,

My monitor is a NEC Multisync LCD 1990FXp.

There is no much information about the Sync Strike, even on the Arcade Forge website, but as nothing is said about monitor compatibility, its should be OK.

I had no time to try the device with my Amstrad CPC6128 nor my AMIGA and ATARI. I should have some time next week to check everything.

By the way, nice hack with the AV2VGA converter ! :wink:

Cheers.
HigashiJun
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

Finally had some time to quickly check the Sync Striker with my other retro computers.

And the result is: nothing on the screen. :(

I saw a guy on the net using the device without any upscaler, so it should be not needed if the monitor supports 15 kHz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8jB8rAsz_8

And for those who might be interested, here is a list of monitors supporting 15 kHz:

http://15khz.wikidot.com/
HigashiJun
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

HigashiJun wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:20 am My monitor is a NEC Multisync LCD 1990FXp.
NEC Multisync LCD 1990FXp - Manual HERE on page 16:
nec-1990FXp.png
Sorry for the bad news but this monitor is NOT 15 kHz compatible :(.
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

iss wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:51 am
HigashiJun wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:20 am My monitor is a NEC Multisync LCD 1990FXp.
NEC Multisync LCD 1990FXp - Manual HERE on page 16:

nec-1990FXp.png

Sorry for the bad news but this monitor is NOT 15 kHz compatible :(.
Do not worry, it is 15 kHz compatible...

I know the manual does not mention it (like all other MultiSync monitors), but my Atari STE is connected to it and I have low-res and hi-res mods without a glitch.

That is the reason I bought it.

Cheers.
HigashiJun
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Thanks for the follow-up guys.

My monitor is a DELL P2214H.
Works great with Atari STs, and with some (not all apparently) DB23 => VGA converters for Amiga (one of the two I got sends the monitor to sleep mode, haven't had time to search if it is a known issue).