IJK-egopad the joypad for Oric by [raxiss]

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
iss
Wing Commander

IJK-egopad the joypad for Oric by [raxiss]

Post by iss »

2020-12-16: Update!

IJK-egoist and the joypad IJK-egopad are available on Tindie.
ijk-ego.jpg
Oric-1 style WHITE COLOR and Oric Atmos style RED COLOR.

You can select only interface, only pad or both!

Support page: https://iss.sandacite.com/ijk/
Available for download in 3 packs are 29 classic games with exclusive IJK-egoist support.

Enjoy! :D
Last edited by iss on Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
iss
Wing Commander

Re: IJK-egopad the joypad for Oric by [raxiss]

Post by iss »

Hello all!
After creating the IJK-egoist interface I decide to create a small but really nice addition to it - the IJK-egopad!

Here is it with an Atmos:
20200724_001333.jpg
... and with an Oric-1:
20200724_001451.jpg
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

It's small but with lot of useful features:
- the up-down actions can be swapped with the small switch on the bottom side:
20200724_001737.jpg
- reversible - for left and right hand gamers - simply rotate it and play!
IJK-egopad-reversible.jpg
- it's created for Oric but actually it will be compatible with all other platforms which use the standard DB-9 connector;
- available in 3 colors: red, white and black.

Did you noticed the REVERSIBLE logo - it's reversible too ;)
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Very nice design (as usual with [raxiss]). The principle of reversability is smart as well as the logo.
Congratulations !!
Is it compatible with the twilighte board?
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Good idea ! 8) 8) 8)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Question: What happened if you take two Orics, each with a IJK Egoist interface, and you connect both to the joypad, one on each connector :)
Would that work, or would that crash and burn horribly?
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

I think that it will work with the sound disturbed. But if one of the Oric computer uses a 7805 regulator and the both use the same 9v power supply, it could happens a little smoke... :mrgreen:
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Dbug wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:04 am Question: What happened if you take two Orics, each with a IJK Egoist interface, and you connect both to the joypad, one on each connector :)
Would that work, or would that crash and burn horribly?
This is crazy but It will work! :)
because both controllers connect each other with their inputs which is 100% OK.
kenneth wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:12 am I think that it will work. But if one of the Oric computer uses a 7805 regulator and the both use the same 9v power supply, it could happens a little smoke... :mrgreen:
Yep, in such rare as hen's teeth case maybe one (or both) chips on the controller will burn but they are on sockets :).
Last edited by iss on Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
protek
Pilot Officer

Post by protek »

So, would the Orics be able to communicate with each other, or can you just control two Orics with one joypad?

Perifractic at Retro Recipies is trying to achieve the latter. Although not with Orics, but for example with a C64 and an Atari 8-bit.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Small update:
20200726_181421.jpg
there are be more choices for IJK-egopad outlook and user experience:
all small buttons, small direction buttons and big fire button. :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I was wondering about something: All these Joysticks are using DB9 connectors, we need 2 pins for +5v and ground, 4 pins for the for directions, so why do we have only one fire button? We have two additional pins, can't they be used to handle some additional fire button, or some select/menu/pause?
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

On the db9 connector, pins 1 2 3 4 6 8 are used for directions and fire as logical signals, according to the Atari standard, Oric interfaces and games are compatible. The other terminals are analog input which send a progressive signal to move a brick breaker racket or a camera, the Oric has no analog input for this, if you assign the pins for extra keys, it's possible, it will be an "oric-only" joystick, but you'll have to modify the pcb of all the joystick interfaces and change the wiring in the joystick, I think it's better not to change the interface but to wire a modern joystick with a double plug to connect it on the two db9 sockets of the interface, we would have 10 inputs: 4 directions, start, select, left edge high, low, right edge high, low. In this case, we need an interface with two plugs. (IJK or PASE)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Dbug wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:28 pmI was wondering about something...
@kenneth explained already most problems correctly and some more details from me:
Screenshot_20200726_212455.png
On left is the Atari pinout as given in Wiki but in most wide spread joysticks as mine (in the middle) GunShot all 3 buttons are short connected internally inside the joystick body and the cord is with only 6 wires - 4 directions, one fire and one common ground - as you can see on the right the other 3 holes are simply empty - no metal contacts because of financial reasons I think.

When I started to play with IJK interface and gamepad I had the dilemma to follow fully the standard or to create something new compatible with itself only :) - and I choose the first case - after all all these new extensions appeared recently need new software and someone should write it ...
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Dbug wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:28 pm I was wondering about something: All these Joysticks are using DB9 connectors, we need 2 pins for +5v and ground, 4 pins for the for directions, so why do we have only one fire button? We have two additional pins, can't they be used to handle some additional fire button, or some select/menu/pause?
I think about an other solution.
In the Amstrad standard, the second fire button could be detected with D5 input of the printer port. We need to wire a new ijk interface and IJk games will be compatible with all combinations of joystick and ijk interfaces (ijk old/new/Egoist/joystick Atari/Amstrad)
Last edited by kenneth on Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

kenneth wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:14 pm ... the second fire button could be detected with D5 input of the printer port.
Indeed! In IJK-* the D5 is used only for detection of the joystick which normally happens just once at the start of the game. But after quick research I abandon this idea because I didn't found games which require two fire buttons, of course such games probably exist but having joysticks with only 6 wires make it somehow unattractive for me.