Euphoric not running on WindowsXP : a possible solution

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Euphoric not running on WindowsXP : a possible solution

Post by waskol »

I am new here, so it is a "Hello everybody" :wink:

Well, what brings me to you is that It seems that I solved (in my case at least) the fact that on certain Windows XP (and it seems to concern also other windows such like 2003 of all kind, XP64 and 200), dos programs or old 16-bits programs refuse to run.

In fact the symptom is rather this one : the program starts and then hangs without any error message.

If that happens to you, there is a good chance that you installed the update patch named KB917422.

The solution is to install a kind of "patch of patch" named KB924867 !!!

Here are the explanations of microsoft about it :
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=924867
Very ineresting....
...and since Euphoric might limit its application stack below 2048 bytes, this explain that.

If Fabrice Frances around, he might be insterested in what seems to be a start of explanations for some users that cannot run Euphoric :P

If someone here could confirm, that will be great.

For know, my Euphoric is running again on my computer, no need for WDMSound or DosBox :wink:

I have posted my investigation on the www.oricgames.com forum, I started with a clean install and then install all possible patch and software I could one after the other and testing Euphoric between, starting from a clean XP SP1.

Wilfrid AVRILLON
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Interresting, I was not aware of that :)

Thanks a lot of for the link !
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

Yesterday I have updated my Windows XP, and....

And one of the patches (Damned, I saw it installing a "NTVDM.EXE") lead to the impossibility to launch Euphoric...

Then I uninstalled all the patches I applied and everything was back to normal again.

All what I can say is that it is a patch of March or April 2007 : really I should have done this one after the other in order to be able to tell wich one.

Anyway, that proves again that if you cannot run Euphoric (or any MS-DOS programs) with windows XP, it is probably because you have applied a "cursed" patch :
Euphoric MUST work in Windows XP.

Another thing, if your sound is choppy in Euphoric, it is probably because you have a sound card wich is not fully "Sound Blaster" compatible or may be you use sme WDM drivers.

For instance, some integrated AC97 sound cards (like Realtek or derived), are not Sound Blaster Compatible.
For instance, mine is a ULI 5455 integrated audio that uses ALC850 audio codecs. Under DirectX, it is really good, whith MS-DOS games, it's a crap... :roll:
TheSpider
Pilot Officer

Post by TheSpider »

Greetings waskol!
Thank you so much.
I have had problems running Euphoric on XP Pro on my home PC. I downloaded the Microsoft patch of a patch, and everthing seems to be working great again.
Peter (TheSpider) Paterson
A Scotsman in Kentucky
http://thespider.oric.org
http://mintspider.blogspot.com
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

TheSpider wrote:Greetings waskol!
Thank you so much.
I have had problems running Euphoric on XP Pro on my home PC. I downloaded the Microsoft patch of a patch, and everthing seems to be working great again.
Please to see that it has help you ! :P