STORE and RECALL

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
Symoon
Archivist

STORE and RECALL

Post by Symoon »

I'm converting into TAP a program that uses STORE and RECALL commands.

Well, it appears that very few transfer tools seem to handle it!
TAP2WAV, Load Vader and Oric Explorer fail at dealing with them.
WAV2TAP is OK (since it doesn't work with the help of files data, but only with the tape signal).

I didn't try Oric copy tools but I don't think they would work (Delbock, Multicopy, ...).
DupK7, a Sedoric tool made by André C. claims to be able to load STOREd files (see CEO-Mag issue 183, summer 2005).

So, it seems there's still some work to do on our tools if we want a 100% reliability ;)
Symoon
Archivist

Re: STORE and RECALL

Post by Symoon »

I think Novalight wouldn't work with STORED files, too.
Luckily it hasn't been used much.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Symoon wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:31 am I'm converting into TAP a program that uses STORE and RECALL commands.
What is the source type of the program being converted to TAP?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

iss wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:06 am What is the source type of the program being converted to TAP?
It's a WAV file Steve sent me, from a real tape.
The program is converted OK now, but I just realised (thanks to LadyWasky's PDF description) that the bytes used to indicate the end of a "normal" file, are used with STORE to indicate the table length (or somehting like that, I don't have the doc right now and already forgot ;) ). So if you CLOAD it, it won't end at the right place.

Not sure it's worth spending too much time on this, though...
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

OK, next version of TAP2WAV will handle STORE/RECALL; just tested one file successfully.
I have a few other modifications to make before a release - don't hold your breath.
(teaser: for crazy people, SLOW speed should be generated too now. More seriously, it could be helpful if you want to convert back a program using CLOAD"",S commands. Don't think it happens more than once in a decade, but it doesn't cost much to have the option)