merging files

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
coolman66
Flying Officer

merging files

Post by coolman66 »

Is there a simple way to merge multiple files in a game or program for a none technical person, my copy of Atlantid by Sprites consists of three files and i cant get it to run . has anyone got a one file version or could help with merging the three files i would be gratefull ?
retroric
Pilot Officer

Re: merging files

Post by retroric »

Hi,

I tried Atlandid with Oricutron by downloading the ZIP here:
https://www.oric.org/index.php?page=sof ... m_log=1080

Indeed there are 3 parts, one .TAP file then 2 additional tape files with .TA1 and .TA2 extensions (you can see they are actually .TAP files by looking at them with a hex editor, you see the standard $16 $16 $16 $24 header at the start of the files).

I don't know why they are separate but I think they are not meant to be merged, and if you just load the .TAP file in Oricutron, the game just starts and loads the 2 other parts automagically, and it just works, I've just tried it !! :)

Mind you, I admit I don't really know much about these part files for tapes, that must be the first time I stumble across this, so I wouldn't know how it works exactly, I can just suppose the first .TAP file references the other two somehow...
flag_fr RetrOric, aka laurentd75 flag_uk
            GitHub - RetrOric
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

PS - to answer your question about merging files:

With the Windows command line prompt, you can ONLY merge TEXT files, using the following syntax:

COPY file1.txt + file2.txt + file3.txt merged.txt

For merging binary files, you need a separate utility.

I tried "File Joiner", which is a freeware and portable GUI utility, very easy to use (just uncompress the archive and run the .exe file):
https://www.igorware.com/file-joiner

Using this programme, I tested if merging the 3 tape files for ATLANTID would work, and to my surprise, it actually works fine, I was able to merge all 3 files (TAP + TA1 + TA2) into one, and load the resulting file in Oricutron, and the game ran fine.

I enclose my "ATLANTID_MERGED.TAP" file for you to try.

Cheers
Attachments
ATLANTID_MERGED.TAP
(17.2 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
            GitHub - RetrOric
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I am not sure you want to achieve, but doesn't the COPY command have a /b option for merging binary files?

COPY /B File1.bin + File2.bin merged.bin

That should work.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Yes, /B is important with COPY, or you may have problems if certain sequences of bytes are in the files (we found out exactly what was going on there on Oric.org forum I think, but I can't recall and don't have time to search back right now).

Here's a transfer without errors detected, of both Oric-1 and Atmos versions. I should update Oric.org... We must get rid of those old "TA1" and "TA2" transfers ;)
atlantid.zip
(15.74 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
PS: the auto-start is not set on the 1st part, so it requires typing CLOAD"" one more time - that's the way it was done, there's an instruction sheet explaining that in the original tape. Trying to auto-start characters redfinitions would crash; they just should have made a small loader to manage this ;)
Last edited by Symoon on Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

There it is, resulting from Googling:
/A : ASCII text file (default)
/B : Binary file copy - will copy extended characters.

include the /B switch, as the following example shows:
copy /b *.exe combin.exe
This prevents MS-DOS from treating CTRL+Z as an end-of-file character.
CTRL Z is the value 26 ($1A).

$1A is not used in Basic nor in 6502 opcodes, so apart from graphics you won't find it much in Oric programs. But if you do and don't use /B, then $1A bytes will be skipped.

BTW it seems that CTRL A = 1, CTRL B = 2, and so on until CTRL Z = 26 ;)
coolman66
Flying Officer

Post by coolman66 »

Thanks to all who have replied my question , I have done what retoric suggested and it works my only problem is that the file joiner program he suggested failed to download with a comment saying it wasn't recognised or corrupted , I am looking for a similar one any recommendations ?
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

Hi guys,

Well spotted Chema and Symoon, how stupide of myself, I should have remebered that /b option !! :oops:

As for "file joiner", I dunno what's the problem coolman66, maybe your antivirus being a bit fussy?
I use Avast myself, and it didn't flag it as malware or anything. And as far as I can tell, this program is perfectly trustworthy.

The only cause for trouble is if you are running a 32-bit edition of Windows and trying to run the 64-bit version of the app.

On the download page (https://www.igorware.com/file-joiner/download) you have the choice between the 64-bit and the 32-bit versions.
In doubt, choose the 32-bit version, it can run both on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.

Anyway, even for the non-technical person, using the Windows command-line is not that difficult, and Chema and Symoon gave the solution to use the COPY command with the /B switch. Maybe you should simply try to go this route, and just ask for help if you run into problems.
            GitHub - RetrOric
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Once upon a time, i've made the tap based on Symoon files, taking care of sync bytes. So it should work on all emulators and on a real oric
Attachments
Atlantid (1984)(Sprites)(Atmos)[a simon].tap
(17.14 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga