Modern Software Packaging

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Modern Software Packaging

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Dbug wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:43 am Interesting, did not know these universal game cases, thanks for the link :)

I wonder how a 3" floppy would fit in...
I do not think I have a 3" floppy around in my house but I could check with a meter and the proper dimensions. ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I do not think I have a 3" floppy around in my house but I could check with a meter and the proper dimensions.
- 7.99 cm wide (really a tiny tiny bit less than 8cm)
- 9.95 cm tall (really almost perfectly 10cm)
- 5mm thick

That's an Amsoft, can probably expect other to be a fraction of mm different here and there :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

After the packaging itself, I decided to do some test with the floppy labels, knowing that my main target is 3" floppies... but trying to see how it would look if you tried to put these labels on 3.5" ones.

Here is what that looks like (simulated)
3inch_label_on_3.5inch_floppy.jpg
My first batch of labels is here: http://defence-force.org/download/oric/ ... Page_1.png

If you have a favorite game that exists on floppy (ie: the DSK is available), even if it's some compilation of game, please tell, I'll see if I can collect enough of these to justify making a second page of stickers.

Feedback is welcome :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Its amazing how visceral my reaction is to seeing this kinds of things, in the 21st Century. I truly want to possess a mass library of Oric titles that look this good. However, Cumulus precludes me making the effort. ;)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Beautiful! I'm really obsessed with Oric's 'dotted' surface :).
@ibisum: you can create SD-Card library with down-scaled labels too ;).
sdcard.png
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

You can also use it sideways :)
sandisk_label.jpg
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

They do look terrific! 8)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I'm satisfied by the current style for the games and stickers, so I'm considering going to the print show soon, here is what that looks like:
AllPrintSheets.png
On the bottom right you can see some variants of Oric themed floppy stickers for single sided 3", double sided 3" and 3.5".

You may have noticed that I removed all the 16k/48k/atmos/tape/floppy/... mentions, the reason is that some people don't care, it's kind of messy/busy, and it makes it harder to reuse the same inly for both tape or floppy, so instead I came up with a solution that involves transparent stickers:
transparent_stickers.png
transparent_stickers.png (11.58 KiB) Viewed 8898 times
(I've about 200 of the stickers sheets if you are interested)

The place where I'm going to do the printing is basically making me pay a initial high fee for the first sheet, and then a reduced fee for each additional sheet so it's all a question of balance for the final cost.

When I checked a few months ago, the prices for the full 45x32cm pages were of 157 kr for the initial page, then 18 kr for each additional sheet, or 54 kr for sticker sheets (Assume 10 kr = 1 euro, it was not 100% clear if the 157 kr one was a one time fee for the operation, or for each new design, so at best if would be 157+18+18+54+54=301 kr (30 euros) for one set of 8 inlays and 40 floppy stickers, obviously, the more I print the lower the additional cost, knowing that in the mean time the prices may have changed)

At the very least, I'm going to print one of each of these four sheets, for my own usage, and then, if some of you are interested, I can print additional ones, get them nicely cut, and sent to you at the actual cost as normal letter postage to limit additional costs

As you can see, there's one case with a big red "?", which I could either replace with a copy of one of the games (if there's a popular demand so we can double the numbers of inlays for the same cost), or use it for another game (suggestions welcome).

The bottom line is: This is going to be printed, but that's going to only happen once because of the startup-cost.

Feedback welcome :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I definitely want a full set of everything! :). Let me know where to send the moolah.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Gettttttting there...

I did a new pass of cleaning, fixing, centering, etc... and I came up with the four pictures in this folder:
http://www.defence-force.org/download/oric/games/print/

could you guy go and do a quick check, and tell me if there's anything shockingly wrong, strange, etc... I've been looking at these things for so long that I'm almost blind by now :)

Thanks!
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

Awesome job Dbug, the artwork & fonts are stunning!!

Just caught a small typo on "PrintSheet_1" for Kong: "barels" is misspelt, should be "barrels" :-)
flag_fr RetrOric, aka laurentd75 flag_uk
            GitHub - RetrOric
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Did not have time to have a look at the high resolution version yet, but I must say that, it being an impressive job, I miss the Defence-Force logo... :(

I had it on Skool Daze and Blake's7 at least, and it looked quite professional.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

retroric wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:06 pm Just caught a small typo on "PrintSheet_1" for Kong: "barels" is misspelt, should be "barrels" :-)
Thanks, fixed :)
chema wrote: Did not have time to have a look at the high resolution version yet, but I must say that, it being an impressive job, I miss the Defence-Force logo... :(
I had it on Skool Daze and Blake's7 at least, and it looked quite professional.
I had the original defence force logo on the first versions, I even had it on the printed out prototype, but what I was looking for was consistency across the entire set of games, and the bright blue and yellow was drawing the attention out of the main thing: The game itself.

Also, when you have your collection of games around, it's kind of confusing to have the actual Defence Force game sitting next to another game with the same logo despite not being related at all :D

I came up with the semi transparent "cut out" defence force logo on the back as an alternative: If you look at it, you will see that this is actually the same font, but instead of the 3D embossed golden it's just using the base colors of the actual game package.

But yeah, was not a simple decision.

In any case, the pictures are available, so if you want, you can still print your own versions with the logo back on them :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Dbug wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:02 pm Also, when you have your collection of games around, it's kind of confusing to have the actual Defence Force game sitting next to another game with the same logo despite not being related at all :D
You've got a point there indeed. I understand :)

I liked your designs very much. I did not find anything strange (I am not the best to look for typos or small mistakes, anyway). I might say I miss the "The adventure game" lettering under the logo on Blake's 7 and also think the DEFENCE FORCE label is not as clearly visible as in the rest, but nothing really important.

Excellent work!
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Dbug wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:29 pm I did a new pass of cleaning, fixing, centering, etc... and I came up with the four pictures in this folder:
http://www.defence-force.org/download/oric/games/print/

could you guy go and do a quick check, and tell me if there's anything shockingly wrong, strange, etc... I've been looking at these things for so long that I'm almost blind by now :)
These look nice!
In passing, I noticed that one of the printouts shows screenshots of your "road" demo, are you planning to make a full driving game out of it? ;)
I tried my best to read the title of the corresponding printout but that font was really hard to read.. "TURBO ... something?".