Using GBS-8200 with Oric - things to look out for?

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
tingo
Pilot Officer

Using GBS-8200 with Oric - things to look out for?

Post by tingo »

Hello,
I'm thinking of using a GBS-8200 (you know, like these https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-contro ... 0-Variants ) with my Oric-1.
Are there things I need to think of before connecting it to my Oric-1?

On some machines you need to use resistors on the video / sync signals to reduce the level to acceptable for the GBS-8200, but I'm not sure about the Oric.
Torfinn
iss
Wing Commander

Re: Using GBS-8200 with Oric - things to look out for?

Post by iss »

Do you have more info (best schematics) about the RGBS input levels in GBS-8200?

From what I read here and here: it's safe and it should work fine with direct connection (just wires) to Oric's RGB output.
Maybe for best colors you need to play with the 3 potentiometers and/or solder 100 Ohm resistors.
tingo
Pilot Officer

Post by tingo »

No schematics, sorry. However, this thread has links to a Google drive with data sheets for the chips on the board. The TVIA 5725 chip runs of 3.3V and if you run input signal above "right" levels you wiil at least confuse it, or reduce conversion quality. But it is apparently also possible to fry the chip.
Torfinn
nikiiv
Private

Post by nikiiv »

Just wire them up. Works great confirmed on 3 Oric boxes