Latest version of Tap2Wav?

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
MrM
2nd Star Corporal

Latest version of Tap2Wav?

Post by MrM »

I have been scouring the forum but I can't figure out where the latest version of Tap2Wav is located. I see several sites where you can download it from but the file isn't versioned, and since it appears to be a fairly old file it's hard to know which of the download locations are the most current one (assuming there was ever more than one version). I also don't want to download it from just any old potentially virus infested and abandoned site :shock:

Is this the right place to get it from?
Symoon
Archivist

Re: Latest version of Tap2Wav?

Post by Symoon »

That's the right place ;)
MrM
2nd Star Corporal

Post by MrM »

Symoon wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:43 am That's the right place ;)
Thank you. I struggled for heaven knows how long to get the one in OSDK v 1.10 working because I thought that would have the latest version. Turns out that one doesn't run on 64 bit computers. All I want is some audio to feed my Oric, argh!! :cry:
MrM
2nd Star Corporal

Post by MrM »

Just to confirm in case some other poor soul with a 32 or 64 bit Windows OS comes along and want to load some software into his "real" Oric ...the version of Tap2Wav here is the one you want. The version in the OSDK v1.10 and the one here won't work.

I just manged to convert a .tap file to a .wav file on my Windows 10 PC, uploaded it to DropBox, and then loaded the program (Breakout) into my Oric via my Android phone. Sadly, I can't really play it since I have it plugged directly into my NTSC TV (channel 34, not 36 btw) so all I get is an unstable back and white picture. Once all my display cables and converters arrive I anticipate some long nights of 8-bit gaming ahead!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Strange, it's supposed to be a cleanly recompiled version with Visual Studio, should have been running fine.
Need to double check that.
MrM
2nd Star Corporal

Post by MrM »

Dbug wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:31 am Strange, it's supposed to be a cleanly recompiled version with Visual Studio, should have been running fine.
Need to double check that.
Thanks Dbug, everything else I tried in the OSDK ran fine on my 64bit Windows 10 system without any compatibility issues and without any need to run them in compatibility mode, so it was just this one that refused to run no matter what.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Oh I see... Try "TapTool" instead of "Tap2Wav".

I wanted to merge Tap2CD, Tap2Wav and Tap2DSK into one single program, but I never finished it, so the Tap2Wav in the archive is the super old dos executable.
MrM
2nd Star Corporal

Post by MrM »

I think I tried TapTool but it only has Tap2CD in it at the moment right? Maybe I missed something. I did try Tap2CD last night but unfortunately .tap files converted through Tap2CD didn't work for me. They would start to load but then just stop. The files converted through Tap2Wav worked very reliably when done with the -11 switch though. BTW, I used my Android phone's earphone jack to "play" the sound into the Oric.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

See there for the latest post describing the modifications:
http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopi ... aps#p12487

I'd be inspired to do a new relase in the future, changing every tool so they generate 5 synchro bytes at the start of TAP files to prevent any problem with the different emulators handling of the synchro.
MrM
2nd Star Corporal

Post by MrM »

Thanks Symoon I'll have a look.