How to I get WAV files to load on an Oric 1

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
stevelanc
1st Star Corporal

How to I get WAV files to load on an Oric 1

Post by stevelanc »

Hi there

My first computer back in 1983 was an Oric 1. I have recently acquired another - one with Basic Version 1.0. When you switch it on it says 47xxx bytes free on the screen.

I have obtained numerous .TAP images and have, using TAPTOWAV converted these to WAV files. However, trying to load them using Windows Media player brings about no success whatsoever.

I have a laptop and the 5 pin DIN lead (with three jack plugs - from a Dragon 32) plugged into the headphone socket on the laptop and the 7 pin socket on the Oric brings about no success whatsoever. However, the sound is getting through to the computer and sounds quite loud from the loudspeaker.

Does anybody have any hints or tips in how to get these things to work?

Help - I am dying to play Xenon 1, Rat Splat and Mr Wimpy again. Nothing beats playing them on the original machine.

Regards
Steve
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I would say a number of things to improve the results:
- disable all windows sounds (like the 'clicks' when navigating in the windows explorer, the 'gling' when receiving a mail, or the 'bloops' when somebody talks to you on MSN messenger/skype/whatever)
- disable all the environmental, reverberation, bass booster, equalisers, etc... set a perfectly flag and non modified sound output
- set a medium volume. Too much of it will just saturate the oric converters.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I'll add my own experience to Dbug's reply:
- use the "-11" option in TAP2WAV, it will produce a 11khz wav file. Windows is unable to reproduce correctly Euphoric's 8khz files. The only alternative would be to play de 8khz files with Euphoric, but the "-11" option is there for the Windows users ;-)
- plug both input and output cables between the Oric and the PC. With my laptop, if I only plug the PC output to Oric input, the sound is too low. Go figure why, when I plug Oric's output to PC input, this boosts the signal with is then loud enough to be loaded.
- try warying the volume, as Dbug said, starting from maximum.
froggy
2nd Star Corporal

Re: How to I get WAV files to load on an Oric 1

Post by froggy »

Is your cable OK ?
Attachments
data-cable-schematic-oric.jpg