Philips D6260 K7 deck bulk repair

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Philips D6260 K7 deck bulk repair

Post by mmu_man »

I recently got off eBay a Philips D6260 K7 recorder, aka Aristona TR2606, and very similar to Grundig CR 100 (which only comes in all black it seems though).

It looks really cool alongside the Atmos:
ORIC_eBay_K7_CRT_DSCN0765.jpg
It seems this model (and all those using the same mechanism) suffer from a fragile gear.

Mine had it broken, as well as the pause key but that wasn't too hard to fix.

Someone ships replacement gears on eBay for 7€.

I'm not sure the belt needs replacing though, the one here looks fine, and they are like 10€… but probably a generic one would fit.

I should receive a 2nd D6260 soon which also needs servicing, for which I paid 20€. The first one was 16€ including shipping.
Considering "working" ones (though if the gear hasn't been changed it will likely break soon) are around 40€ on eBay, it seems a good deal.

So I've ordered 6 gears, and I'll be servicing both of them, and some more if I see them in the same condition, for whoever wants one for his ORIC in France at least, at marginal extra cost, like rounding it to 30 or maybe 35€.

I've seen at least one in the UK, but since it's like 23€ shipping to France, someone should probably do the same there instead. You may need a hot-air gun to soften the plastic that holds the gear to replace it.
Make sure the one you buy has a red bottom, since some models are all-black, which is still nice but not as classy.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Philips D6260 K7 deck bulk repair

Post by ibisum »

Nice BeBox! :)
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Another nice hardware, yes 8)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

(I also have a BeBox... 66mhz tho' .. still works .. not as fun to hack on as the Oric, though..)

Also, now I know what a K7 is, having encountered the term in translating the guide for converting the DF .tap to .dsk .. didn't have a clue what it meant until I read this thread .. was K7 a common term for cassette recorder?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

ibisum wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:10 pm Also, now I know what a K7 is, having encountered the term in translating the guide for converting the DF .tap to .dsk .. didn't have a clue what it meant until I read this thread .. was K7 a common term for cassette recorder?
K7 just means tape, it's litterally "Cassette" in phonetic in French. "Ka-Sette"
Similarly we have D7 which means "Disquette" (Floppy disk)
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Yes those are handy abbreviations :mrgreen:
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I remember being shocked when I read "K7" instead of "cassette" for the 1st time in the 80s. Sounded really like an ugly way to shorten the word!
Now I'm surprised finding it in English chats sometimes ;)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

The first time a French speaking colleague sent me an email ending (literally) in "I'll have a look at it this we", I answered back asking if he sent it by mistake before having finished writing it...

Never in my life saw "weekend" abbreviated as "we". And never a sentence ending without a full stop. I have now seen that several times more, always from French speaking people. Is that also common?
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Not so often, and if I do I'll use an uppercase WE.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Yep, K7 is 4 1337 ppl only ;).
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I've seen a few D6260 players in UK. Quite a few were in poor condition. I wouldn't pay much for one like that. I got a working one for about £20.
There is one that is all black. Obviously this one looks nicer as it matches the Atmos colour.

How well does it load though? I've had better loading from a cheaper cassette player.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dixons-SR7-S ... OSwT~lfxS2~

The slimline recorders were recommended by Oric. The same model came with various names on the front. If you look for computer or data recorders you tend to find computer compatible tape recorders that should work well with Oric. Check condition well as some people are asking a lot of money for worn out rubbish.
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

mmu_man wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:25 pm Not so often, and if I do I'll use an uppercase WE.
I usually see this slashed as w/e (week end). Like "XYZ Ltd Trading as ABC" (t/a) and "Not applicable" (n/a) ...
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Steve M wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:47 am I've seen a few D6260 players in UK. Quite a few were in poor condition. I wouldn't pay much for one like that. I got a working one for about £20.
There is one that is all black. Obviously this one looks nicer as it matches the Atmos colour.
Well, the one I got was in quite good cosmetic condition, apart from a broken foot, and two holes made by a soldering iron to pass wires I suppose… I fixed those (I might reopen one to fit a 6V jack someday maybe).
How well does it load though? I've had better loading from a cheaper cassette player.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dixons-SR7-S ... OSwT~lfxS2~
I didn't test as it's not yet working. By experience, all those players tend to fall apart anyway, the only reliable ones are the Geracord 60xx. Last time I needed to load a cassette, all the 3 other players I had didn't work, only this one. It's bulky but it's from eastern-Germany and quite sturdy. I know a red-black version exists, and white-black also but they are quite rare, the last one I saw went for quite a price on eBay. The black models are quite cheap still.

As for the D6260, it's marketed as "computer compatible" so it's probably ok. I don't expect to use it much anyway, just saving the cassettes I didn't backup yet. Admittedly it's cheaply made (all plastic, no metal frame) but it's not like it'll be used in a harsh environment.
The slimline recorders were recommended by Oric. The same model came with various names on the front. If you look for computer or data recorders you tend to find computer compatible tape recorders that should work well with Oric. Check condition well as some people are asking a lot of money for worn out rubbish.
Once I get the second one and the gears replaced I'll test them and report here.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

I just received the second drive, same gear broken.

I suspect the other two of the same color are also fragile, but since they are only used for fast forward/backward they get less stress. Also, I think they can easily be replaced with some laser-cut part plus some spacers, unlike the broken one which has slanted cuts.

Also, I initially thought the gear was held by a melted plastic part but it's actually just clipped, so it won't need the heat gun for replacement.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I'll have to open mine up and check it. It seems to work OK.
Philips bought up shares in Grundig until they owned them, which will explain the different names.