My new Cumana drive ;)

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Re: My new Cumana drive ;)

Post by HigashiJun »

Just a question: will it possible to upgrade the FF firmware on your board (or even change it to HxC) ?
HigashiJun
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

zaxon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:23 pm Is not to late, i have 30 PCB so soon will be more for sale but i need do this first 10 for people who trust and preorder it. I hope relist next 10 on end of next week.

About second 3,5 drive, i plan do separate unit, also in this case. Will be not really expensive.
Good news, thanks!
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I've been fantasising of modelling an expansion bay style enclosure that can accommodate the Atmos/Oric by just sliding it on to the base, so there'd be a box under the Oric for the PCB's and relevant ports for USB receptacles, etc. I'm kind of fatigued by the cable mess of my Oric setup and would love to just have an all-in-one situation like exists with my CPC and ZX setup (Amstrad versions).

Seems like with those dimensions it'd be feasible .. time to fire up the OpenSCAD and get some mockups done ..
zaxon
Officer Cadet

Post by zaxon »

HigashiJun wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:09 am Just a question: will it possible to upgrade the FF firmware on your board (or even change it to HxC) ?
It is, FF is installed by default,so update is easy from pendrive.

On board is socket for programer, so you can reflash it for HXC but i not see any reason for use HXC firmware and you do it on own risk, i cannot guarantee proper work becouse i was not test it on HXC. I'm in good contact with Keir (author FF firmware) so is easier for me ask Keir about any firmware updates .

Second 3,5 floppy unit idea...
Attachments
20200119_112412[1].jpg
20200119_112412[1].jpg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 8138 times
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

Thank you for your answer.

I also prefer FF as .dsk file format is directly supported, and if firmware upgrade is possible, I will then upgarde to FF 2.14 or even to 3.11a...

BTW, your 3.5" FDD idea seems promising.

Cheers.
HigashiJun
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

ibisum wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:22 am I've been fantasising of modelling an expansion bay style enclosure that can accommodate the Atmos/Oric by just sliding it on to the base, so there'd be a box under the Oric for the PCB's and relevant ports for USB receptacles, etc. I'm kind of fatigued by the cable mess of my Oric setup and would love to just have an all-in-one situation like exists with my CPC and ZX setup (Amstrad versions).

Seems like with those dimensions it'd be feasible .. time to fire up the OpenSCAD and get some mockups done ..
Funny, I had that in mind exactly - two drives side by side under the Oric. But thought maybe having the Oric above the drive system might not be safe for the drive, or whatever.
Let us know how you carry on with the idea ;)
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

Wouldn't it be a hassle to use the Oric then ?

Just imagine typing something with the keyboard about 5 cm above the desk...

I don't know, but I can imagine a pain in the wrists just after a nice party of Cosmos 1999...

I personally like the way our friend Zaxon made it... Just near the Oric.

:D
HigashiJun
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Doesn't have to be below the Oric - could also be behind it, as in a box which extends the length of the Oric, not the height or width .. anyway, will play with some ideas ..
zaxon
Officer Cadet

Post by zaxon »

Hmm, it is my DDI3 for amstrad CPC,(similiar unit like CUMANA , floppy emulator and floppy interface) connected direct to CPC expansion port. I can redraw CUMANA board and shrink it for this style, but i think, 34 pin connector is to weak to hold it in place. Maybe if i use rerial port too ? Only for hold interface.. ??

Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

zaxon wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:49 pm Hmm, it is my DDI3 for amstrad CPC,(similiar unit like CUMANA , floppy emulator and floppy interface) connected direct to CPC expansion port. I can redraw CUMANA board and shrink it for this style, but i think, 34 pin connector is to weak to hold it in place. Maybe if i use rerial port too ? Only for hold interface.. ??
It's a parallel interface, not serial :)

That being said, if you do a pass-through printer connector, you could also extend the interface board to put some joystick connectors, since this port is often used for that.
zaxon
Officer Cadet

Post by zaxon »

Ok, my fault, paraller , serial .. bzzzz ;) Idea anyway is canceled due to Oric case design ;)

"That being said, if you do a pass-through printer connector, you could also extend the interface board to put some joystick connectors, since this port is often used for that. "

You mean connect it flat, behind Oric ? Like in ZX Spectrum ? This can will be oend like this ;) I try do my best for prevent it ;)
Attachments
divIDE-Kempston_with_joypad-AY_interface-Spectrum_48K_maly.jpg
divIDE-Kempston_with_joypad-AY_interface-Spectrum_48K_maly.jpg (83.32 KiB) Viewed 8095 times
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

Our beloved Orics would become "La Oruga Infernal"... (ie. The Infernal Caterpillar)

:lol:
HigashiJun
zaxon
Officer Cadet

Post by zaxon »

Panels printed, so, drive SN# 002, #003,#004 and #005 will be raeady until midnight :)
Attachments
20200123_192323.jpg
20200123_192323.jpg (3.32 MiB) Viewed 8030 times
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

Nice !

:D
HigashiJun
ibisum
Wing Commander