Twilighte card & sittler card (sdcard/joysticks/mouse)

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
jede
Flying Officer

Re: Twilighte card & sittler card (sdcard/joysticks/mouse)

Post by jede »

Done

Here we go :
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Just amazing .. it's really going to ease the on target testing.
Congratulations !!!
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Incredible!!! :shock: :shock:
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Cool!
Now we're talking :D

I assume it works in both direction: You can create folders and files on the Oric, and they are directly accessible from the PC?
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Amazing, can't wait to put this through its paces ..
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

A small step for man but a giant leap for orickind!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

So, in practice, how is that implemented, is that in the card firmware?

By the way, I was thinking of your video on the CEO meet where you said that joystick support was done by tricking out the keyboard handler in ROM calls, and I wondered how these old programmable joystick interfaces actually worked: I had one with a large PCB with cables you could connect between the 5 pins of the joystick and other pins representing the various keyboard characters, and somewhat that worked magically, but on a hardware point of view I've no idea how that work: It's on the bus, it does not conflict with the actual keyboard, but pretend to be another keyboard? Is that something you could do with your extension, like pretending to press keys in hardware (so that would work with all games) ?
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Dbug wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:41 pm Cool!
Now we're talking :D

I assume it works in both direction: You can create folders and files on the Oric, and they are directly accessible from the PC?
For instance, it works from PC to Oric with Wifi connection. I don't know why i can't write from Oric to the device for instance. I started wednesday, i did not check all features. We are looking.

Anyway, i used a special hardware to have this part working. As we could say in french, it's a bit "bourrin" but it works, and others amazing things can be done (as update/download from internet with extra hardware). It's a standalone solution which work with WIFI. It could not work without Twilighte board.

We could do the same without this extra device, but it require a lot of 6502 code to have this working.
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Dbug wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:09 am So, in practice, how is that implemented, is that in the card firmware?
No it's not in the card firmware entirely, i used native kernel call to read data from USB (that is why it was easier to set up the solution) and this trick can be used from every command/rom available on the card, but there is an extra hardware. I will explain it more as soon as the problem oric-> device is fixed. But in the other way, it's OK.
Dbug wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:09 am By the way, I was thinking of your video on the CEO meet where you said that joystick support was done by tricking out the keyboard handler in ROM calls, and I wondered how these old programmable joystick interfaces actually worked: I had one with a large PCB with cables you could connect between the 5 pins of the joystick and other pins representing the various keyboard characters, and somewhat that worked magically, but on a hardware point of view I've no idea how that work: It's on the bus, it does not conflict with the actual keyboard, but pretend to be another keyboard? Is that something you could do with your extension, like pretending to press keys in hardware (so that would work with all games) ?
I think that it could as soon as you support it in another basic rom for example. Assinie did for twilighte board for joysticks which is only telestrat joysticks. But you can also do the trick for ijk joystick, whatever.

Assinie did a patch program to patch basic rom. Then you can build the rom you want, load it in ROM or RAM with orixcfg command, and it will work. But code must be handle in the atmos rom.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Wow! Direct PC connectivity would be awesome!

I have a Commodore 128D with an UltimateII+ cartridge that also gives direct network connectivity, and the ability to start any downloaded disk image on the Commodore directly initiated from the PC is such a game changer in usability.....
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

well i can see my file written from oric to the device now. But i have to set something to change the behavior... because there is a big lag
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Problem fixed, now we write on the oric, and we get it on pc (Thanks Assinie for atmos rom patches)

jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

:shock:
So cool !! Potentialities are so numerous !!
Big Respect. It's an incredible achievement .
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Cool. Now we need the same thing for Telestrat (Other Orics) ...
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

After all these years of hard work by Jede we will have a concentrate of all the real Oric peripherals in one device.
Long live the TwilighteCard ! 8)