Faulty cumulus. :(

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Faulty cumulus. :(

Post by peacer »

i have been using my cumulus unit for years with my Atmos without any problems. The last time i used it was 2 month ago .

İ went away for summer holiday and when i came back home i tried to use my atmos again but cumulus failed to start.

When i boot the atmos with cumulus the screen is filled with garbage pixels. keyboard does not response and waiting does not do anything

While atmos and screen is hanged up ,. Cumulus unit menu is running fine. İ can move around the menus, select dsk files but they don't load as oric is not running.

Reset oric command does not work either from cumulus.

Btw. Atmos has no problem. İt boots normally when cumulus is not attached. Also i have a Microdisc system and it can load Real disks too.

To summarise : cumulus itself is running fine but stopped booting.the atmos for a reason.

What seems to be the problem ? Any thoughts ?
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Faulty cumulus. :(

Post by Dbug »

Could you check that the small secondary cable is not damaged, or that the connector has somewhat fallen into the cumulus case?

I had problems like that which were caused by this hacked part, and the thing was "half working", after resoldering the connector properly it was working again, maybe something similar?
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Which secondary cable? Did you mean power cable connectod to pins right near to to the expansion port?
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Yeah I think it's the 4 wire cable he means.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

But if that was faulty , cumulus wouldn't get power.. But as I said nothing wrong about unit itself. When i give power to Oric , cumulus LED screen turns on and normal menu screen is show. Keys are working top. I can select dsk file from sdcard etc. But oric is not working and boot screen is not shown , only full screen of random pixels..
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Here is my cumulus. As you can see, when powered on , screen goes random pixels. But the unit takes electricity and seems to' be running fine. I can push the buttons , select dsk images, choose to restart oric but nothing happens

Any idea ?
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Update : I changed disc ribbon and now its working fine.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Ah, glad to hear. I cannot make mine work with a beautiful black cable, and have to stick to grey one that came with it.

As usual, problems with the bus signals.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Chema wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:40 pm Ah, glad to hear. I cannot make mine work with a beautiful black cable, and have to stick to grey one that came with it.

As usual, problems with the bus signals.
Mine works with a black cable (a Asus floppy cable) but I had to shorten it and put back a connector