Monitor or TV?

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
robcook
Flying Officer

Monitor or TV?

Post by robcook »

I can finally go outside and buy stuff. Hoping to get a nice monitor for my Atmos but I'm doing it via this cable which I know many of us use:

https://www.ebay.es/itm/Oric-1-Atmos-Hi ... 1137727260

Now, it requires SCART connection but the sales dude reckons monitors with SCART leads are dying out and it's best to get a TV as they always have SCART ports. Now I'm happy to get a TV instead but I was a decent, non-wobbly pictures if I'm spending a few hundred for a VDU and I've had that experience when connecting my Atmos to some TV's. I have not attempted fine tuning yet.

But the question(s): is a TV just as good as a monitor or should I get one out of necessity 'cos I need to connnect via SCART?

Thanks, all.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Monitor or TV?

Post by ibisum »

I have a similar SCART cable which I use with one from a stack of old TV's I've recovered from dumpster diving .. for me its pretty nice to have stable video output, as in the good old days I only had RF out on a dusty Aussie telly... but nowadays I also have a frame-converter that takes the SCART input and puts it up on HDMI/VGA, etc. That's also nice for some of the dumpster-dived relics, like old colour perfectly functional VGA displays and whatnot .. my retro collection is not just for the Oric though, but I do think its worth it to get a VGA display rig going for Atmos ..
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

SCART is not mandatory anymore in France since 2015 (don't know in UK though...).

So if you live in France, old TV sets will have it but not newer ones.

There's no SCART where I live but I use the cable you mentioned in your post combined with other stuff as stated in the post below:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1730

The image is very crisp and sharp.

Cheers.
HigashiJun
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

SCART is gradually disappearing from U.K. tv’s these days. You can still get second-hand ones with them still in.
I have a Plasma with two RGB SCART sockets but our LED tv only has a SCART adapter cable to connect a SCART lead to a small edge connector.
The picture you get from one of Ian’s leads is probably the best you can get from a Oric on a TV so if you can get a SCART/RGB tv it is worth it. The picture is really good.
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

If you happen to find some old Commodore Amiga CRT monitors, they generally have a super good picture quality.

Some don't have SCART, but they accept easily RGB signal, and the pinout of the DB-9 connector is available, you can just direct- connect the pins without any resistors or added power and it just works :)
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Thanks, all.
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

Dbug wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:20 pm If you happen to find some old Commodore Amiga CRT monitors, they generally have a super good picture quality.

Some don't have SCART, but they accept easily RGB signal, and the pinout of the DB-9 connector is available, you can just direct- connect the pins without any resistors or added power and it just works :)
Yes, these monitors are really nice but all the CRT stuff is a potential time-bomb after 30 years... And provided you can recap and/or fix them (it's better to know what you're doing if you don't want to fry :( ), the best thing to do is to get a TV set.
HigashiJun
protek
Pilot Officer

Post by protek »

I’m using a 14” CRT TV with Scart that’s from the early 2000s. That gives me a a crisp and sharp picture on the Oric, using RGB.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Same here. Those were really inexpensive at that time, and they offer a very good pic quality. Obviously flat TVs are less cumbersome and use less space, but I've heard that they are not too good for gaming, as they do not blend colours son nicely. I never tried, though, but I have one which has SCART input too.