Cleaning 3inch drive heads

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
hutch
Officer Cadet

Cleaning 3inch drive heads

Post by hutch »

Hi ppl,
Ive got 2 identical 3 in. Drives,- 1 works the other not,even if set as A. Its the usual i/o error.Was wondering if its dirty heads...can you clean them?

strike all that .....my atmos does not now boot :(

was working gr8 with with new powered scart cable ,but not any more...no response with just power cable in either.

leaves me with just an oric1 16k. dammit.
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Cleaning 3inch drive heads

Post by Dbug »

Just to make sure, how are you powering the machines? (sequence of what you are doing, what happens)?
hutch
Officer Cadet

Post by hutch »

Dbug wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:20 pm Just to make sure, how are you powering the machines? (sequence of what you are doing, what happens)?
hi Dbug,
i just plug everything in and switch on ...same as always have... but now i get a screen full of b/w blocks and atmos can be heard with high pitch squeal as norm ,drive A lights up as it should,but it freezes. if i pull all cables out and put just power in -no difference. if i plug just power cable into my 16k 1 then it works! (can type and keys work)

my interface pic attached..
Attachments
20210706_221920[1].jpg
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Well, what we've got here :)
Attaching pictures is a very good start for solving problems and the resolution 12000x9000 is really impressive!

About head cleaning - it's good idea and the results are immediately visible. Just be careful when lifting the top part - if your drive is double sided you need to clean the top head too. Use alcohol and soft cotton sticks to gently remove any dust and or magnetic remains. Here is a 'before-after' picture of one of my drives (it's Disk][ compatible but the principle is the same):
cleaning.jpg
Else, you have not a Microdisc controller but Cumana! In common they do the same but in regard of controller-ROM content maybe you'll need Cumana DOS instead of SEDORIC.

Do you have a Gotek floppy emulator? If yes, it's very helpful to start experiments with it instead of real drive, so you can be sure that the drive is ok and search the problem in controller only.

Last thing for now is to try to adjust the variable resistor (potentiometer). Actually I recommend to replace it with new one - more precise called 'multi-turn'. Here is the suspect:
adjust.jpg
hutch
Officer Cadet

Post by hutch »

iss wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:02 am Well, what we've got here :)
Attaching pictures is a very good start for solving problems and the resolution 12000x9000 is really impressive!

About head cleaning - it's good idea and the results are immediately visible. Just be careful when lifting the top part - if your drive is double sided you need to clean the top head too. Use alcohol and soft cotton sticks to gently remove any dust and or magnetic remains. Here is a 'before-after' picture of one of my drives (it's Disk][ compatible but the principle is the same):
cleaning.jpg

Else, you have not a Microdisc controller but Cumana! In common they do the same but in regard of controller-ROM content maybe you'll need Cumana DOS instead of SEDORIC.

Do you have a Gotek floppy emulator? If yes, it's very helpful to start experiments with it instead of real drive, so you can be sure that the drive is ok and search the problem in controller only.

Last thing for now is to try to adjust the variable resistor (potentiometer). Actually I recommend to replace it with new one - more precise called 'multi-turn'. Here is the suspect:
adjust.jpg

hi iss ,thanks for reply,
i have cleaned heads as u said but of course still got new problem with interface now. alas i dont have a gotek and the other problem i have is i cant find a local electronics guy to take a look at it. tho i can kind of use a soldering iron,is it an easy thing to do??
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

hutch wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:01 am strike all that .....my atmos does not now boot :(

was working gr8 with with new powered scart cable ,but not any more...no response with just power cable in either.

Just as a clarification, does this mean your Atmos cannot boot even without the disc interface plugged in? If so, that is the first thing to look at. Do you think something might have damaged it (apart from time)? Maybe the PSU is not working properly, or you plugged something wrongly and blew up the Atmos.
hutch
Officer Cadet

Post by hutch »

Chema wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:25 am
hutch wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:01 am strike all that .....my atmos does not now boot :(

Just as a clarification, does this mean your Atmos cannot boot even without the disc interface plugged in? If so, that is the first thing to look at. Do you think something might have damaged it (apart from time)? Maybe the PSU is not working properly, or you plugged something wrongly and blew up the Atmos.
yes ,correct atmos does not boot. even with no cables ...just power cord pluuged in, nothing, no keyboard clicks,nothing.so yeah...looks like i have a dead atmos :(
the 16k oric 1 does work,however but when coupled up to interface it wont load any disc,but it does boot and i get the 'ready' prompt if i dont use interface.
so im thinkin i have a dead atmos and interface......

im not as clued up as you guys seem to be these days.......its been 30 odd years since i used it all.

is it possible to replace my cumana with something more modern that will work with my disk drives(3.5/5.25 and 3inch drives)?? coz i still luv the sounds the drives make. :wink:
oh, and is it still possible to repair an atmos?? there used to be a local guy that did it ,but he is no longer trading or passed away
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Try Mutant Caterpillar.
hutch
Officer Cadet

Post by hutch »

Steve M wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:12 pm Try Mutant Caterpillar.
Cheers steve.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

iss wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:02 am

Only Cumana v1 required Cumana Dos. It's pretty rare these days. Cumana V2 was pretty much the same as the Microdisc ROM.

This is actually an Opelco system. It uses the same interface as the Cumana. It is housed in a bigger case with additional power supply for the drive.

But the problem here is the Atmos, not the interface.
I wouldn't recommend pluging in the power from the interface on its own. I think there are more amps than from the 600mA power supply.
iss wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:02 am Last thing for now is to try to adjust the variable resistor (potentiometer). Actually I recommend to replace it with new one - more precise called 'multi-turn'. Here is the suspect:
If it was working OK then it shouldn't need adjusting. It changes how well the disk is read. So it won't affect booting up.
Last edited by Steve M on Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hutch
Officer Cadet

Post by hutch »

Steve M wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:21 pm
iss wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:02 am

Only Cumana v1 required Cumana Dos. It's pretty rare these days. Cumana V2 was pretty much the same as the Microdisc ROM.

This is actually an Opelco system. It uses the same interface as the Cumana. It is housed in a bigger case with additional power supply for the drive.

But the problem here is the Atmos, not the interface.
I wouldn't recommend pluging in the power form the interface on its own. I think there are more amps than from the 600mA power supply.
iss wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:02 am Last thing for now is to try to adjust the variable resistor (potentiometer). Actually I recommend to replace it with new one - more precise called 'multi-turn'. Here is the suspect:
If it was working OK then it shouldn't need adjusting. It changes how well the disk is read. So it won't affect booting up.
thanku steve