OUM magazine scans...

Here is the place to discuss about the magazines (CEO Mag, OUM, Rhetoric, Theoric, Hebdogiciel, ... are all welcome here) and books.
Symoon
Archivist

Re: OUM magazine scans...

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:35 am When I published the PDF of the german magazines, Bit, Atmosphäre, Atmosphere, I removed all the phone numbers, street addresses and bank account numbers I could fine. I kept the names and cities, I think that's an acceptable trade-off, fully anonymising means we don't even know who was writing what :)
I agree! Kudos for doing so. I worked ay anonymising the 13th CEO issue long ago, and that was:
- a time consuming work
- a bit of a depressing work, removing some information
I found it unpleasant, sadly real life gave me a reminder on this, and how necessary it is in some cases. :|
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

What a blast looking through the early OUMs -- I never actually saw the first 20 odd issues when they originally came out, and no longer have full paper versions of those up to 64 anyway.

Just to say if Dave Utting is still looking for that ULA circuit diagram (£20 reward rising to £50) I can help him out ;)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I think 64 was my first one. In 71 I got a mention, which was quite a special moment for me even though it was a line from a letter. None of the other contributions that got printed gave me the same buzz that the first one did.

I think we're up to 116 now
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The issues 53 to 64 (Year 1992) are now available for download as well:
https://library.defence-force.org/index ... &year=1992

And the Library 2.0 now has a small statistics section:
https://library.defence-force.org/index ... statistics

If you can think of other useful metrics to extract, feel free to mention :)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

mikeb wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:56 pm What a blast looking through the early OUMs -- I never actually saw the first 20 odd issues when they originally came out, and no longer have full paper versions of those up to 64 anyway.
It seems a lot of people didn't get the back issues. I kept asking Dave for magazines and got a pile of Théorics as well as some old OUMs.
Scanning them was too big a task for me so I had been putting it off. Twilighte asked me to scan some years ago. Another problem was some are printed on Dave's printer and the ink inevitably became very faint. So I thought scanning those pages wouldn't work. A bit of tweaking in some graphics software helped bring out the text.

So, a big thank you to the other guys that scanned OUMs. I really wouldn't have done any if someone else hadn't started things off. I don't enjoy scanning. It's a chore!
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Dbug wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:33 pm
And the Library 2.0 now has a small statistics section:
https://library.defence-force.org/index ... statistics

If you can think of other useful metrics to extract, feel free to mention :)
Hmm, we better check my database. I have 120 books and you have 109 - and I haven't included Pravetz and generic 6502 books, so there's some missing somewhere.

{edit} Ah it's the manuals, I think.
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Steve M wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:15 pm OK, it's all done up to 112.
Waou !! that's a very very valuable work that can benefit to the whole community.

Because preparing the future starts by preserving the past.

Thank you very much for this effort Steve M.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Thanks - there's a number of other people who have done more pages than me - Mike B, Didier and Omelette, to name a few. (All OUMs are scanned now.)

The files are being put online by Dbug. we've got the fest 64 OUMs as a taster. The rest should follow after I got some legal reassurances from the great Jon H.
All the IOUG mags scanned by Mike B are up now. Also all Your Oric, though a few pages were missing and they are getting sorted as we obtain the missing pages.

Most thanks to Dbug for creating a home to store all these goodies. (Not all are downloadable yet.)
https://library.defence-force.org/index ... reesearch=
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

Good to see all the OUM issues again. Brings back some happy memories :D
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Incredible library! I thank Dbug and all the contributors. All that's missing is the old bearded knight with a heavy sword guarding the entrance ... :mrgreen: