OricAid by Micrograf

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Yicker
Pilot Officer

OricAid by Micrograf

Post by Yicker »

Hi,

Does anyone have a copy of OricAid by Micrograf in .tap format that they could send me.

Cheers
Scott
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I searched and only found a non-original copy on a tape I was lent.
It's the Oric-1 version, I don't have an Atmos version.
Hope that helps anyway!

http://mercenarysite.free.fr/oric/a01-oricaid_v1.0.tap

BTW, do you have some instructions, docs or anything about this program? If so, I'd be interested :wink:
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Hi Simon, I have the original for this, and it is the Oric-1 and Atmos compatible version. I'll send you a WAV of it and scans (my scanner is working again!).
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Hi Dave,

Great, thanks :) I'll open the FTP right now.
Didn't have time to transfer what you sent me yet, but I should begin working on it this weekend.
And top priority to Oricaid to help our friend!
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Ok, David just sent me the V1.1 WAV file, and it's now converted!
http://mercenarysite.free.fr/oric/oricaid-a.tap

Great team's work ;)
If you ever need the docs let me know, David scanned them too.

David, if that's not asking too much, could you also send me the WAV of the Oric-1 only original version? I'm not sure the one I got hasn't been modified.
Thanks, as usual :)
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Consider it done :D
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Thanks, that was fast!
After a few tries, I didn't manage to convert it yet, I'll carry on later and let you know.
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

If you have no luck with it I can give it another go. There is also a slow copy on the tape if this helps.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

dave3622 wrote:If you have no luck with it I can give it another go. There is also a slow copy on the tape if this helps.
Well, I realised the V1.0 signal is not good enough, could you try and give it another go? Also, do you have the possibility to sample it at a higher frequency (22 or 44kHz) ? Maybe it would help: it seems the 11kHz WAV file didn't have "time" (understand: enough samples) to sample some parts of the signal. In the end, instead of having a -_-_-_ signal, we have -__-_ (one - is missing), and this happens quite often so the decoding program doesn't even recognize the sync and header. It would take days to correct manually.

Oh, and, yes, maybe the slow speed would help, too, but you can wait the results of our second attempt before spending time on it! :wink:
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

No problem. I'm going out soon for the evening and will doubtless be drunk when I get back :) but I will give it another go at a higher sample rate tomorrow morning.
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

A very big thank you to everyone who has helped out here and for being so prompt as well.

Symoon, could you make the docs available as well thanks.

I saw a review of this program in an old Home Computing Weekly magazine and was intrigued about it but could not find it anywhere...until now.

Once again, thanks guys :-)

Scott
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Here are the docs, thanks to David:
http://mercenarysite.free.fr/oric/oricaid_docs.zip

I'll try to find some time to update oric.org with it, as soon as I got the 1.0 version working!
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Simon, I've uploaded the WAV's to your FTP, both 22KHz and 44KHz. I have also replaced the original faulty WAV with one recorded at a higher volume. Hope you are more successful with these :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Thanks David!
Still the same problem though, so it's not a sample frequency problem :(

This is at the edge of my knowledge, but I wonder if it could be a phasing problem between the left and right channels on the tape.
David, you're going to hate me, but do you have the possibility to sample only the left or right channel of the tape, or sample it simply in stereo (then the channels are separated) ? 11kHz should be fine...

Sorry for this, if you can't or if this doesn't work in the end, then we'll see the slow version ;)
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

I've sent you the sample in stereo, I wasn't sure how to record the left and right channels seperately. I have also sent you the slow recording just in case there are still problems. Good luck!